User Info Menu

Has anyone tried this pickup?
    What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

ARCHTOP GUITAR – Pickup The World

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought one to amplify an acoustic Eastman 810, and it performed as promised, and as I expected in transferring the carved top vibes.

It fit beneath the bridge easily without lifting it or interfering with acoustic resonance. The only workaround was the cable and jack. I didn’t want to install these permanently; wrapping them with black gauze around the trapeze was my MacGyver.

The 810 is gone, but I kept my PUTW and will use it on one of the other archtops to be able to split/blend the acoustic signal and the set pickup signal.

....And I’ll probably get another for my mandola....
    Robert Hill Long
    Ferndale California
    rhl.photography

User Info Menu

Thanks Robert. I'm glad to hear it works well, now I've just got to wait on the guitar to get here!

Jimmy

User Info Menu

I've debated purchasing a PU the World pick-up for my Eastman 910 for a while now - good to hear from someone who has had direct experience with one. I rarely play out these days, so I probably don't actually need one, but still... The 910 is a darn good sounding acoustic guitar; my biggest concern is that the PU may adversely affect the acoustic sound. Robert, I see that this wasn't the case with your 810, so that's encouraging. Jimmy, after you've had a chance to install/play around with one of these, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Here are a couple of links that may be interesting, although they are primarily discussions/examples of the PU installed on flat top - not arch top - guitars:

Pick-Up The World Acoustic Guitar Pickups?? - The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Doug Young | Acoustic Guitarist | Pickup Tests

- Don

User Info Menu

I got one of those on my L7 but can say I never tried it, it is in a box somewhere. I put a McCarty pickup on the L7 and never looked back. McCarty pickup does not need a preamp.

I did put a similar pickup on my Nylon String Ovation (under the saddle, as that one has a glued-on bridge) but it really does need a preamp and sounds bad straight into the amp you can hear below at 3:00.

User Info Menu

I have had them between bridge and top on archtop and Maccaferri-style guitars. They sound natural but do need a preamp. Noninvasive. Hard to manage feedback at gig volumes though.

User Info Menu

My 810 had the acoustic voice you’d expect for a 17” carved top. It was delicious in the room with new round wound strings, but with flatwounds I preferred picking up the top vibe and sending the signal through an AER 60. This changes one’s sense of the sound, because it’s no longer an intimate sonic wreath, but an amplified beam.

At that point, some folks will tweak amp tone, use a tube preamp, or a tube amp. If I were gigging, and if I still had that 810, I might do the same. On the other hand, I don't have a fixed idea of how a ‘jazz guitar’ should sound (as I did when I was younger). And I like being able to split and blend different signals into different amps. So the PUTW will get some test time on one of the other archtops with set or floating magnetic pups—they all have wooden bridges, like the 810.

Fundamentally, this is a nice noninvasive and not expensive tool to have for amplifying the soundboard you have in your hands.
    Robert Hill Long
    Ferndale California
    rhl.photography