The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

One year on: just in from seeing Gilad's trio with Mark Turner.

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-img_1588-jpg

All his delay and reverb is coming from the Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run. For the vast majority of the gig he just used that plus the EHX Superego.
    He did use the Earthquaker Devices Dunes on one solo - it's their take on a Tubescreamer circuit with some cool voicing options.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm just surprised that he upgraded his freeze to a superego but he doesn't put anything in the effects loop. I feel like he'd really benefit from eq and modulated reverb in there to make the synth effect sound more organic. Make sure you tell him some random guy in a forum told him to try it out next time you see him. (I use a Zoom MS 70CDR in the effects loop of my superego).

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-ehx-superego-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'm just surprised that he upgraded his freeze to a superego but he doesn't put anything in the effects loop. I feel like he'd really benefit from eq and modulated reverb in there to make the synth effect sound more organic. Make sure you tell him some random guy in a forum told him to try it out next time you see him. (I use a Zoom MS 70CDR in the effects loop of my superego).
    Agreed! Love my MS70CDR, btw.

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-zoom-ms-70cdr-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    One year on: just in from seeing Gilad's trio with Mark Turner.

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-img_1588-jpg

All his delay and reverb is coming from the Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run. For the vast majority of the gig he just used that plus the EHX Superego.
    He did use the Earthquaker Devices Dunes on one solo - it's their take on a Tubescreamer circuit with some cool voicing options.
    David, do you know wich Fromel is that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    David, do you know wich Fromel is that?
    There's no Fromel pedal in the most recent picture(?)

The larger silver pedal is a Moollon Equalizer:

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-moollon-equalizer-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi Jorge,
    There's no Fromel pedal in the most recent picture(?)

The larger silver pedal is a Moollon Equalizer
    Oh, it looked a lot like a Fromel Shape Eq. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I had the pleasure of seeing and meeting Gilad at this years Montreal jazz fest and thought some fellow fans and gear nerds would appreciate some photos of his current pedal board and custom Moffa (which is even more beautiful in person).
    Attached Images Attached Images Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-998102c8-a7f6-4218-a03e-363e5e8333fe-jpg Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-72a6ee81-2b4b-4f77-91ec-be14cf504a15-jpg 

User Info Menu

nice shots but alas, most pedals are not recognizeable...

User Info Menu

Fair enough, here's whats in the pic:

Rowin - Looper 3
    Moollon - EQ
    Valeton - Coral Mod
    Old World Audio - 1960 Optical Compressor
    EHX - Freeze
    Earthquaker Devices - Dunes
    Boss - OC3 Octave
    Earthquaker Devices - Avalanche Run
    Morley - Mini Wah/Vol
    EHX - Pitchfork

User Info Menu

And I'm proud to say I don't even know what most of those pedals do.

User Info Menu

Mr Hekselman is so ridiculously talented that I am not worthy of changing his high e-string - however, I don't get the need for all these pedals, nor for his new Victor something or other. How can this tone possibly be bettered? Gibson into Fender, slight touch of reverb, jazz guitar tone perfection:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neuroscan
    Mr Hekselman is so ridiculously talented that I am not worthy of changing his high e-string - however, I don't get the need for all these pedals, nor for his new Victor something or other. How can this tone possibly be bettered? Gibson into Fender, slight touch of reverb, jazz guitar tone perfection:

I agree that he is obscenely talented (got to chat with him after the concert and he was the nicest guy) but as to his choice of equipment I find him to be one of the most tasteful of the modern guys. Effect use is fairly subtle and never feels like the gear is being used just to use effects. As to the guitars, we all like different things and personally I would take his moffa over a gibson any day. That said, to me he sounded amazing then and sounds amazing now.

User Info Menu

Some electric guitarists like to explore the available tone-shaping devices on the market. Jazz guitar tone is subjective, neither perfect nor otherwise. As much as I loved Jim Hall and his playing, I never wanted to sound like him. Gilad works in a variety of ensembles and situations, and the "perfect" jazz guitar tone may well be anathema in some of those situations. It's likely that he will continue to use the Howard Roberts into a Fender in situations where that's what he feels is needed, and it's just as likely that he will use his Moffa or Victor Baker guitars with the pedals in appropriate settings. I came up as a classical guitarist as well as a Barney Kessel/Jim Hall/Wes Montgomery influenced jazzer, but I find the sonic possibilities of a 7-string Godin Multiac nylon string guitar into a Roland GR-55 irresistible, as do most of those who hire me. In some situations, the same sound all night can get pretty tiring. The younger set has to contend with rock and pop and metal and country guitar sounds, as well. The 40s through 60s players just needed to be heard, and the sound they got was generally all that was available them, and, as great as it is to other players, it was also often looked upon as somewhat monotonous by the lay audiences, giving rise to the description of jazz guitar sounds as "throw your coat over the amp".

User Info Menu

I have no problem with anyone using whatever pedals, amps, guitars, or whatever else they desire. A working musician these days has to be able to come up with many different sounds. But personally, as a retired non-working amateur, I don't have to deal with those issues. I'm free to get the sound I like, in so far as I'm capable, so I own few pedals, and use even fewer. Most of mine live in a closet. All I really need is my favorite guitar and amp. But again, I can do that because I don't depend on music for my living, or even any money at all. If I did, I would most likely have a selection of pedals just to survive. I'm glad I don't.

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly, there's a video on YouTube where he explains how he uses effects.

One thing I also do from time to time for example: The OC-3 allows you to split the register and have an octave down only on your lower strings (you can dial it in). Which, if you are in a situation without a bass player allows you to fill that space a bit.

The other thing he does I also do is the "almost like a sustain pedal on a piano" thing (he uses the Freeze, I am using the EHX HOG for this, the Plus Pedal is another candidate)— It's quite subtle, but a useful tool.

Compressor set to “sonic yoga mat” isn't that radical either.

Sorry, purists™.

User Info Menu

He is a great player, but I prefer the pedalboards that were used by Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, and George Benson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    He is a great player, but I prefer the pedalboards that were used by Charlie Christian, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, and George Benson.
    I love their playing styles and tones too, but I didn’t knew they used any pedalboards to achieve that.

User Info Menu

Gilad uses those pedals to great effect most of the time. Check out his work with John Raymond (Real Feels).

Yes, we already know how great just guitar>amp can sound. Both setups are wonderful.