The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I think this is the right place to put this. I have a leather Franklin Strap branded guitar strap that I used to use on my PG1. It was a little long for me, but close enough to work. I greatly prefer this strap to my cheaper ones made of nylon and neoprene. According to the listing on Amazon, my Franklin strap is adjustable from 38"-56". This is still significantly too large for me to have the guitar at a comfortable angle for playing (I play with the guitar in a more classical position/angle). Do you guys have any suggestions for shorter leather straps (my search on Amazon isn't turning anything up)? I know I can go buy a tool to punch a new hole in the strap, but I'd feel safer with something I didn't have to do to it.

Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My Moody straps are 37-49". There are other custom strap guys out there who make one smaller for you; try Seventh String or Brookwood.

User Info Menu

Check out RightOn! straps. They're made in Spain and are really high quality straps. Their adjustment system is neat. You should be able to make it pretty short.

Electric guitar Straps, Straps for bass. Rightonstraps

User Info Menu

Italia straps are fairly short. I bought the standard size and it's a little short for me, even on thinlines with it set in the bottom holes. I'm not large, and I would need the long Italia strap to be comfortable.

User Info Menu

if you have a favored strap... don't be afraid to punch your own holes into a leather strap...you can get a punch for cheap..$$$...or mark off your position and take strap to a shoemaker...he can do in 2 minutes

i got packs of 3 punches at daiso for 1.50$

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I just measured my straps. My nylon strap is adjusted to 40" but I can't seem to figure out how to adjust my my leather any shorter than the 46". I think I either purchased an XL strap by mistake or just need to figure out how to better adjust the strap's length. Punching a hole poses a problem as it needs to be before the tailpiece actually passes the length of the strap itself.

User Info Menu

Which Franklin strap do you have? Most are adjusted by reweaving the narrow strap through the slots in the wider piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Which Franklin strap do you have? Most are adjusted by reweaving the narrow strap through the slots in the wider piece.
    I believe I have this one:

Franklin Strap - 2.5" Embossed suede with Leather Ends - Guitar Strap - Black with Black Ends https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NRDPXO..._0EqkDbTKGHSDJ

I have tried to reweave the strap in as many configurations as I can think of, but just can't get it as short as it can supposedly go.

User Info Menu

Many straps have two holes on the thinner leather part leading to the "end pin" - they are something like 8 " apart I would say. I just cut off the excess beyond the first hole.

User Info Menu

To get it as short as possible, thread the strap through the highest slot, and then back through a lower slot, and then continue as it is now. You can start with going back through the third slot, and if that isn't short enough, through lower slots. For the absolute shortest, use only the first and last slots. I don't like doing that, and it's far too short with my Franklin strap, but if it's necessary, it will work.

User Info Menu

To get it as short as possible, thread the strap through the highest slot, and then back through a lower slot, and then continue as it is now. You can start with going back through the third slot, and if that isn't short enough, through lower slots. For the absolute shortest, use only the first and last slots. I don't like doing that, and it's far too short with my Franklin strap, but if it's necessary, it will work.
    That's how I have it now. Still too long by an inch or two. I definitely like some of the other options that have been given, so I might consider one of those to go along with a guitar upgrade I am thinking if doing.

User Info Menu

If the head of the strap, meaning the wider part with the slot, is at the lower end of the wide part, and runs through the top slot, and it's still too long, you must have an extra long model. If mine were that way, I couldn't even get my head through it.

User Info Menu

Also, you don't have to use the end hole. There should be several holes in the end strap, and you can use whichever works best, and let the remainder hang free. You see a lot of people doing it that way.

User Info Menu

If the head of the strap, meaning the wider part with the slot, is at the lower end of the wide part, and runs through the top slot, and it's still too long, you must have an extra long model. If mine were that way, I couldn't even get my head through it.
    It is, I have the wider part at the bottom, the tailpiece woven all of the way up and then coming back down. Because that still puts it at around 42".
    Also, you don't have to use the end hole. There should be several holes in the end strap, and you can use whichever works best, and let the remainder hang free. You see a lot of people doing it that way.
    My tailpiece has 4 holes on it and I am using the highest one. It seems that a hole would need to overlap with the main part of the strap. I think I have a strap that is just too long and I'll need to replace it with something smaller.

Thank you for the suggestions.

User Info Menu

I agree with modify as the cheapest option. Otherwise I use Levy`s leather straps which I believe are from Canada.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I agree with modify as the cheapest option. Otherwise I use Levy`s leather straps which I believe are from Canada.
    I also use Levy's straps. They have quite a few designs and price points.