Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

This one, jeepers. Gibson channels D'Aquisto:

Archtop “Fingerstyle” Prototype '19 - Dave's Guitar Shop

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    In the early 90’s, the Harvard Business School spit out a study of the high-end, low-margin products in the paper industry.

When suppliers got rid of these high-end, low-margin products they found that the rest of their product line was suddenly in a “race to the bottom” with other commodity suppliers.

The presumed lesson was, perhaps you may want to keep those high-end, low-margin products after all.

The Gibson ship-of-fools (saved you the google) seems to need to learn completely from the start, with each new set of faces, that they can not claim the cache they feel entitled to if they produce no actual, ostensibly high-end [at least in name] products.

Hilariously, the fan-boy base will give them this cache with even the usual half-effort.

Despite this, they seemingly wish to remove even that half-effort.

Thinking maybe 1 2/3 years back to the CME blowout of a pile of truly crappy guitars from the Memphis facility - the desperate need for ‘true belivers’ to love these “Hondo II” quality guitars could have told the new Gibson management that all they need to do is show the intent of a high end product you line.

There may be no actual need to deliver demonstrably good guitars.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes clear to them or not.
    I guess it must be trolling season here on Jazzguitar.be

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    This one, jeepers. Gibson channels D'Aquisto:

Archtop “Fingerstyle” Prototype '19 - Dave's Guitar Shop
    I missed that one. With a soundport ?!! .......I hope they keep on trying !!

And I'm hoping someone here plays one or two and posts his / her findings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    Gibson needs the blessings of actual serious people like Dave far more than Dave needs to be in the “good graces” of the ‘Narrenschip’ (google it) that is Gibson.
    Yes I agree.

As I recall, within a short time of Gibson dropping DG, Dave picked up Heritage as a supplier. A few months after Henry J left, Gibson reestablished their relationship with DG.

BTW that was not the first time Dave’s and Gibson parted company. I know it happened once before, maybe even twice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Yes I agree.

As I recall, within a short time of Gibson dropping DG, Dave picked up Heritage as a supplier. A few months after Henry J left, Gibson reestablished their relationship with DG.

BTW that was not the first time Dave’s and Gibson parted company. I know it happened once before, maybe even twice.
    I have no idea how Dave is to deal with from a manufacturer’s point of view. But from a customers view he (and his employees) are particularly helpful, honest, and non-nonsense.

I can see this being at odds with Gibson from time to time.

But back to the “prototypes” - I can well imagine Gibson using the brand cache to establish formed tops as a very real part of the archtop line. No idea if they will really pursue this. But solid guitars and a genuinely top dealer like Dave’s could be a fine way to ease some new archtop designs into the market.

I can hope, anyway.

But it sounds like these are leftovers and not a new promising development.

User Info Menu

I don't know if this has made the rounds here but found this YT video. Thought I'd share. Fun and interesting stuff although I don't know about the commentary...

User Info Menu

At 1:25, actually the back IS bookmatched. The guy doesn't understand how opposite sides of a split board look. Fake news!

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing these in production.

User Info Menu

Pushing the boat out on the last one -- I like it!

User Info Menu

Dave’s sold those last year. They were made around 2014 as prototypes for the very shortly lived Solid Formed model. They weren’t listed as being pressed top and back guitars. Dave told me when I inquired. I was ready to buy three of them had they been carved. But from the price, I knew they couldn’t be carved.