The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi. what is the best guitar if i'm interested at L5 sound (warm,smoky, dark) and comfy thick + 1.7" neck ?
    thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For my money, I would still go with the L-1000 (again, if all three guitars are in good shape).

The L-1000 _really_ sounds and plays like a L-5CES. You should get Lawson Stone in on this. He also owns an Aria Pro II PE-180...and he owns an L-5CES, so he can make direct comparisons.

Here, again, are the PE-180/L-1000 distinctions. They are the SAME guitar. The only difference is that Matsumoku made the L-1000 to Aria's specifications with a dead-on copy of the Super-400/Johnny Smith headstock. The PE-180 was made with a headstock that "suggests" the Super-400/Johnny Smith, but intends to get around Gibson's trademarks/patents. Here are some pictures.
    aria pro2 L1000  or Epiphone emperor F 82-aria-pro-ii-pe-180-head-jpgaria pro2 L1000  or Epiphone emperor F 82-aria-pro-ii-l-1000-headstock_front-jpg
    Left: Aria Pro II PE-180, Right: Aria Pro II L-1000

User Info Menu

Of course, the Emperor F was also made by Matsumoku. It, too, is really the same guitar as the PE-180 and the L-1000.

If you can play the two guitars, you might be able to settle the matter, right there.

Thanks,im buying it through the net,so cant hold them,area has "small neck tweest"as they describe,sent me pics,looks ok to me,,,,realy hard decision,,,

User Info Menu

Oh. Buy the one without the neck twist. Again, both are Matsumoku guitars. They play and sound great.

User Info Menu

I can say literally nothing bad about my Aria Pro II PE180. Nothing. I play it back and forth with a Gibson L5ces, which I dearly love as well. They sound a bit different one is laminate, one is carved. But I think of the Aria as an L5ces that just is not "a sophisticated lady" but a lady with some salt, but still a lady. It has the "thunk" of a laminate, but the resonance and sweetness of the big body and long scale.

Also: the stock pickups on the Aria are great. I actually changed out the neck pickup for a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, but put the Aria stock pickup back in because it just sounded better.

Assuming the Aria is in good shape with no damage and everything working, it's a splendid guitar.

I also had an Epiphone Elitist Broadway which is a lot like the Emperor F, and it was a fabulous guitar as well. Solid-formed, not laminate, so it was a bit more mannered, as it were. But still a honey of a guitar.

User Info Menu

Lucky guys playing with these guitars.. Am i envious..i enjoy people talking about there models..designs pick ups etc..greentones expert knowlege and lawsons..why i come here....im at the stage in life where theres no money but own a peerless monarch...bought it when i had some..im content after swapping for classic 57..

thank you guys , will go to emperor f ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    Lucky guys playing with these guitars.. Am i envious..i enjoy people talking about there models..designs pick ups etc..greentones expert knowlege and lawsons..why i come here....im at the stage in life where theres no money but own a peerless monarch...bought it when i had some..im content after swapping for classic 57..
    A Peerless Monarch is a fabulous guitar. You would have to look a long time to find more guitar for the price. It's a wonderful instrument that you can spend a lifetime learning to get the most from.

I've been lucky with my Gibsons etc, but a Peerless Monarch would be enough for any music I'd want to play.