Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander View Post
    Jazzerman sold me on the Tal Farlow around 2005-6 with his youtube videos...I could only make it happen in 2015!
    MVI pretty much did the same with his 125...fortunately it was much cheaper
    Both are now keepers and in my book, best Gibson value in their own respective way!
    What do you personally feel about their differences in sound between the 2? I know they are very different, but was just wanted to hear your account if their tonal differences?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    I'm a bit surprised MVI still causes a stir. I thought every jazz guitar enthusiast would know his name by now. He's not just a decent player (there are a great many of those). Or even a good one. He's among the best of the best.

I recorded these myself many years ago at the Crow. Been following him since the mid 90s.

DB

This thread is the 1st I've heard of him, but will definitely be looking him up! What I've sampled this AM is fantastic! Reminds me of Johnny Smith a bit....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    What do you personally feel about their differences in sound between the 2? I know they are very different, but was just wanted to hear your account if their tonal differences?
    Both are setup with TI JS112, my go to strings since 2015.
    Acoustically the 125 is more resonant as the Tal Farlow is clearly more an electric instrument.
    Strangely though, I could immediately hear the distinct Tal voice even unplugged when I strummed the first chords and notes just after receiving it. It really to me and even my wife sounded like Tal (the tone I mean not the chops )
    With its 25.5 scale and heavier/stiffer construction the Tal has a very distinct lower mid focus tone with percussive attack.
    I hear more compression on the Tal than on the 125 maybe in part due to the presence of the classic 57 over the P90.
    What I love about the 125 is the way it responds so much to playing dynamics, you feel like you can dig in it.
    Sounds more open and a bit looser on the bass strings than the Tal probably due to the scale.
    Still both instrument deliver a nice thunky woody tone with the Tal a bit more assertive and on the dry side and the 125 being more airy.
    The 125 has also much more mojo being a 1959 and is so much lighter with its 5.3 pounds versus the Tal's 7.8
    I could easily live with only either of them but since I don't need to choose both are gonna stay
    ...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

I know I probably posted that video more than once

A cell phone from that distance and we can still hear what a 125 can do in the right hands...
    ...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander View Post
    Jazzerman sold me on the Tal Farlow around 2005-6 with his youtube videos...I could only make it happen in 2015!
    MVI pretty much did the same with his 125...fortunately it was much cheaper
    Both are now keepers and in my book, best Gibson value in their own respective way!
    Hehe .... Jazzerman, my old Youtube name. I have sold quite a few guitars for Gibson over the years. When I told them that they sent me a T shirt. Ah well ....

DB

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    I have about 10,000 clips on my Youtube page with both a Tal Farlow and a 125. A number are in the showcase section right here.

DB