The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 277

User Info Menu

Little vid of the Jazzcaster in its current configuration, with generic Asian soapbar (that came out of my Fender Modern Player Thinline P90. Quite a difference..... clearly the SD Antiquity dogear is the better P90! Soon will replace the bottomplate and turn the Antiquity into a soapbar and put it back, this asian P90 is really lacking in comparison!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Little vid of the Jazzcaster in its current configuration, with generic Asian soapbar (that came out of my Fender Modern Player Thinline P90. Quite a difference..... clearly the SD Antiquity dogear is the better P90! Soon will replace the bottomplate and turn the Antiquity into a soapbar and put it back, this asian P90 is really lacking in comparison!

Very nice guitar, playing and sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Very nice guitar, playing and sound!
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

That is a sweet sounding axe! Nice playing, as well.

User Info Menu

Well done Jay! Looks great. Sounds great.

Albert

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

What do you think about the difference between de Antiquity P90 and the MIC soapbar?

User Info Menu

Little Jay's guitar looking and sounding awesome, hope I can get a result nearly as good with my own project. Got a little progress made yesterday - the Gotoh bridge unit fitted, and neck lightly clamped in place to check string alignment and positioning of the scratchplate and GFS Surf 90 neck pickup - I need to do just a little careful sanding of the pickguard and enlarging of the right side neck pickup cavity to get things optimal. But still looking good

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-dsc01405-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting to compare the two pickups in your tele Jay - taste of course but to my ears there is a bit of brightness in the sound from the Asian made soapbar that I like. However the SD Antiquity does seem to have better dynamics, responsiveness and a bigger sound overall, so I would have to say that one wins for me. Great playing on both videos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Maybe this should be a thread of its own, but has anybody experience on B&G Little Sister guitars? Private Build or Crossroads models? They come with their own P90 or humbucker.

I played once a humbucker version for a 3 minutes. It has definitely its own solid feeling. I am looking for a P90 version for a decent price, maybe used. Have not seen very many second hand ones.

Hmm... maybe this is not quite teleish... but a bit like ES125'ish!

Electric Guitars - B&G Guitars

Attachment 63411Attachment 63412
    Along the same lines as the B&G guitars is the Wide Sky P125. I actually preferred the one P125 that I played over the B&G's that I've tried.

User Info Menu

Can one buy 24.75 scale three-a-side headstock
    rosewood fingerboard , medium jumbo fretted ,
    neck that will bolt straight on to a standard tele body ?

i wouldn't mind a tele like that sometime ....

User Info Menu

Check Warmoth for replacement parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Can one buy 24.75 scale three-a-side headstock
    rosewood fingerboard , medium jumbo fretted ,
    neck that will bolt straight on to a standard tele body ?

i wouldn't mind a tele like that sometime ....
    Yes, you can order conversion necks from Warmoth:

Warmoth Custom Guitar Products - Warmoth Guitar Neck Gibson(R) Scale (24-3/4") Conversion Tiltback

(But it will set you back $360 instead of the $38 I paid.....)

User Info Menu

Yes, you can order conversion necks from Warmoth:

Warmoth Custom Guitar Products - Warmoth Guitar Neck Gibson(R) Scale (24-3/4") Conversion Tiltback

(But it will set you back $360 instead of the $38 I paid.....)
    yeah i was hoping for more in the $38 ballpark ...

well done you !

btw
    do i need ‘tiltback’
    id probably use the standard
    tele bridge

User Info Menu

Pingu, this is the neck I used:

22 Frets Mahogany Electric DIY Guitar Neck For LP Gibson Les Paul Parts Replace | eBay

I bought it thru eBay but you can also find it on AliExpress and Banggood. It’s surprisingly good! Trussrod works flawless, fretwork is pretty okay (but needs leveling to make it perfect). I didn’t even have to cut the nut a lot, just a few strokes with the nut-files sufficed for a good action.

I removed about 2 centimeters (about 4/5”) from the heel, leaving the fretboard as ‘overhang’ to get the correct scale length, with the exiting pickup cutouts as the reference points. I reshaped the neck pocket into square-shaped (it had rounded corners):

All you need is a sharp saw and a sharp chisel for that, easy-peasy.

User Info Menu

btw
    do i need ‘tiltback’
    id probably use the standard
    tele bridge
    You mean the neck angle? No, with a standard tele bridge and the soapbar P90 sunk deep enough into the body I didn’t even need a shim!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Interesting to compare the two pickups in your tele Jay - taste of course but to my ears there is a bit of brightness in the sound from the Asian made soapbar that I like. However the SD Antiquity does seem to have better dynamics, responsiveness and a bigger sound overall, so I would have to say that one wins for me. Great playing on both videos!
    If your tele will sound as good as it looks then it will sound great!

The asian soapbar P90 is not bad at all but just a tad thinner and more scooped compaired to the Antiquity. That has a nice and complex mid that is very pleasant. They are both around 8k impedance, but I can’t measure the Gauss-values.

User Info Menu

What about this one?
    Sounds good to me.
    (Sorry if I am a little off-topic but I thought the OP could get some ideas from this design)

User Info Menu

Saw that one :-) Does sound very good indeed! But in all honesty and not to blow my own horn, but -solely based on the video - I think I like how my Jazztele sounds now better.... I can’t touch that playing though, very good!

User Info Menu

Finally got around to finishing the JazzTele last week. Also the finishing was in true guerrilla-low-cost-fashion with some left over furniture stain (dark oak-colour) and a spray can of PlastiKote Clear Polyurethane Varnish I found in the shed.....

I had no grain filler laying around, but I hoped not using that would yield a ‘natural’ or rough vibe to the guitar. One layer of stain at the back, three runs of spray can and a fourth run to the top only. The wood is not perfect, a solid colour would probably have been better, there are also some spots were probably glue has been spilled at the factory, but I am pretty pleased with the outcome of my very first attempt at guitar finishing :-)

Oh and I have a bridge pu and switch coming (cheapo again, ordered at AliExpress)

User Info Menu

Nice lookin' axe, Little Jay! Well done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Nice lookin' axe, Little Jay! Well done!
    Thanks! And she plays like butter too!

User Info Menu

thanks LJ

did you ever put a bridge PU
    on it ?

User Info Menu

thanks LJ

did you ever put a bridge PU
    on it ?
    Yes I did:

It’s a $15 Chinese Fleor pickup, bought from AliExpress. And to my surprise it’s a very well made (true to vintage construction, with alnico magnets and bottom plate) and very good sounding pickup! It has some bite without being sharp.

Unfortunately the P90 has a lot more output and you can’t switch to the bridge PU without upping the volume but at least it’s there for when you need it. And combined pups make an ideal rhythm sound!

User Info Menu

i'm pretty happy with my pawar tele. If you close your eyes, you'd think it was an archtop.

User Info Menu

^I was all set to argue with you, but it does indeed sound like an archtop- and nice playing