The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Anyone have any experience with these? I really like the sound of them based on the few clips I’ve found.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one in my 67’ ES-135CE w/ single P90.
    I pulled out the original P90 because it was noisy and raunchy which may be good for rock but not for clean jazz tones I like, and replaced it with the SD.

I find Antiquity P90 very quiet with adequate output.
    It is smoother and more balanced sounding than the original vintage P90 that came with the guitar, so I prefer it to the original for what I do.

Antiquity does sound like a P90, but it is difficult to say if it “nails” particular characters of someone’s reference specimen, because in my experience, those old Gibson pickups are all over the map in terms of sound quality, frequency response, output, and etc,.

Ditching a vintage pickup for a newer “reproduction” may be a sacrilege to many, but after playing through several “vintage” Gibsons over he last 3 decades (those were referred as “used”, not “vintage” back then, and priced accordingly), I don’t really subscribe to certain hype for the sake of what these things represent.
    I simply use them as tools for my trade, so whatever tool appropriate for the job is good in my book.

The SD Antiquity P90 gets my vote in that sense.

User Info Menu

I just installed one in my new-ish Archtop Tribute ES-175 clone, I think that it sounds great, decent output, and nice rounded, woody tone.

User Info Menu

I went through a phase of trying different P-90s and Antiquities came out on top. More of a 50s low-wind sound with excellent definition. Great pickup!

Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes
    I went through a phase of trying different P-90s and Antiquities came out on top. More of a 50s low-wind sound with excellent definition. Great pickup!
    Oh nice! I’m trying to decide between the antiquity, and the lollar 50s wind. I’m leaning toward the SD

User Info Menu

The regular Lolar underwound is great as well:

But in the end I preferred a 1947 original Gibson P90 that forum member Sam Sherry was willing to sell to me for a very reasonable price ;-)

This is with the Gibson:

User Info Menu

the seth lover (original p-90 designer) uncomplicated formula for a p90 was 10000 winds of #42 wire...seymour duncan was friend, confidant and disciple...and knows all of seths methods...sd antiquity is one of best p90s out there

cheers

User Info Menu

My experiences with P90s are mostly with Les Pauls. I have gone thru many brands, including cheap Gotohs and more pricy Lollars. I always come back to Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

Lollar ’50s Winds are near, but Ants has that some richness in their sound that none else has.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    The regular Lolar underwound is great as well:

But in the end I preferred a 1947 original Gibson P90 that forum member Sam Sherry was willing to sell to me for a very reasonable price ;-)

This is with the Gibson:

Hi LJ.
    Nice playing and both great tones. The Gibson is beautiful.
    Does the Gibson pickup have screw pole pieces or the rod magnets?
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Hi LJ.
    Nice playing and both great tones. The Gibson is beautiful.
    Does the Gibson pickup have screw pole pieces or the rod magnets?
    Thank you.
    My Gibson pickup is a 1947 with screw pole pieces. (Originally my ES-125 would have had the slug magnet, non-adjustable pole piece P90, but I bought it with a humbucker installed).

This is the pickup and the harness:

User Info Menu

My Gibson pickup is a 1947 with screw pole pieces. (Originally my ES-125 would have had the slug magnet, non-adjustable pole piece P90, but I bought it with a humbucker installed).

This is the pickup and the harness:
    Thanks. That's great.
    I'm interested in upgrading my 125 copy now I've had it 3 months.
    The 'regular' good replacements would cost at least a third of what the guitar costs. My first search for something cheaper was Tonerider of which I have some experience but they don't seem to do a Dogear. I've read about the early P90s using A3 magnets which appeals to me. I may go with Creamery in the UK - £80. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Thanks. That's great.
    I'm interested in upgrading my 125 copy now I've had it 3 months.
    The 'regular' good replacements would cost at least a third of what the guitar costs. My first search for something cheaper was Tonerider of which I have some experience but they don't seem to do a Dogear. I've read about the early P90s using A3 magnets which appeals to me. I may go with Creamery in the UK - £80. Cheers.
    It’s pretty easy to convert a soapbar P90 to a dogear. Just buy a bottom plate and a dogear cover and transfer the innards. You just need to solder the ground to the bottom plate.

I did it the other way around and turned the dogear Lollar into a soapbar that now sits in my Tele.

User Info Menu

It’s pretty easy to convert a soapbar P90 to a dogear. Just buy a bottom plate and a dogear cover and transfer the innards. You just need to solder the ground to the bottom plate.

I did it the other way around and turned the dogear Lollar into a soapbar that now sits in my Tele.
    I bought an A3 p90 from Fletcher Pickups. Unfortunately since going back to work after lockdown I haven't had a chance to install it. Seymour Duncan antiquity p90-20201008_205922-jpgSeymour Duncan antiquity p90-20201008_205938-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks like a good pickup! I like the braided lead wire to work with. I replaced the plastic leads on my low budget P90 for braided vintage wiring.

P90s are such simple pickups.... it’s really hard to get those wrong, so most low budget P90s sound fine to me, as long as there are not overwound (Epiphone P90s are often overwound). Nowadays even the cheapest one use the correct AWG 42 coil wire.

For my next build I consider buying the cheapest AliExpress P90s... replace the leads with vintage braided wiring and replace the ceramic magnets with Alnico ones. Should be a nice experiment!

User Info Menu

Looks like a good pickup! I like the braided lead wire to work with. I replaced the plastic leads on my low budget P90 for braided vintage wiring.

P90s are such simple pickups.... it’s really hard to get those wrong, so most low budget P90s sound fine to me, as long as there are not overwound (Epiphone P90s are often overwound). Nowadays even the cheapest one use the correct AWG 42 coil wire.

For my next build I consider buying the cheapest AliExpress P90s... replace the leads with vintage braided wiring and replace the ceramic magnets with Alnico ones. Should be a nice experiment!
    The Fletcher is 7.6k, 5.6H, 0.46 Q factor, 140pf cap. Don't really know much about all that - just the k! TBH since buying it I've got to like the stock Chinese pu in the guitar!!