The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Are there any current generation big name players who use ES 175? Current big names seem to play either custom luthier build big hollows or just solids or semis.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Django Reinhardt's brother, two sons and grandson all play/played 175's. Had he lived longer, i believe Django would have as well.

Already mentioned were:

Joe Pass
    Jim Hall
    Pat Metheny
    Herb Ellis
    Kenny Burell
    Wes Montgomery
    Joe Diorio
    Jimmy Raney
    Jonathan Kriesberg
    Phillip Catherine

175 Players not yet mentioned:

Toots Thielemans
    Howard Roberts
    Rene Thomas
    Trefor Owen
    Peter Bernstein
    Steve Howe

As a 175 player myself, I am pretty sure that I am in good company

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Herb Ellis played the same 1953 175 till his Herb Ellis 165 came out in 1991 and he still played his '53 on the side after that.
    Actually he played an Aria Pro II PE-175 in the late 70s-early 80s. But you're right that he played the '53 175 for the majority of his career.

Classic Gibson ES-175 Recordings-screen-shot-2019-05-05-1-39-04-pm-png

User Info Menu

Besides Two for the Road, 7 Come 11 is classic album that features Ellis/Pass playing ES175 guitars together. Fabulous live album.

User Info Menu

Raney ‘81:
    Attached Images Attached Images Classic Gibson ES-175 Recordings-91f5a702-bc32-4a6b-b427-cb5a5c8127db-jpg 

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell:
    Attached Images Attached Images Classic Gibson ES-175 Recordings-726aaf94-d47c-4427-8c90-84c747b155b0-jpg 

User Info Menu

Ronny Jordan played a Norlin 175. I even think it's an early 80s mahogany one, exactly like mine. I always had a soft spot for him. Lots of soul in his playing ...

All his early albums were recorded with his 175.

DB

User Info Menu

Another 175 player :
    Richard Ring
    a great jazz guitarist, music teacher in college and also husband of renown singer Ranee Lee.
    Artist | Justin Time
    Unfortunately he passed away last summer!

User Info Menu

A little more modern, but it sounds great imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Django Reinhardt's brother, two sons and grandson all play/played 175's. Had he lived longer, i believe Django would have as well.

Already mentioned were:

Joe Pass
    Jim Hall
    Pat Metheny
    Herb Ellis
    Kenny Burell
    Wes Montgomery
    Joe Diorio
    Jimmy Raney
    Jonathan Kriesberg
    Phillip Catherine

175 Players not yet mentioned:

Toots Thielemans
    Howard Roberts
    Rene Thomas
    Trefor Owen
    Peter Bernstein
    Steve Howe

As a 175 player myself, I am pretty sure that I am in good company
    Yep, no doubt, but then two players on that list are known for not only great playing, but terrific guitar sound - Wes and Kenny.

And that would be on the L5 and Super 400 or other carved top.

Accurate, or inaccurate?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Yep, no doubt, but then two players on that list are known for not only great playing, but terrific guitar sound - Wes and Kenny.

And that would be on the L5 and Super 400 or other carved top.

Accurate, or inaccurate?
    if we want to be completely accurate, those two players have great tone on any guitar they have recorded with.

User Info Menu

Yes on Kenny and Wes.

No on Pete B. I still prefer his sound AND his playing on his Zeilder--that sound is... yeooooowzas!

I'm trying to gather everything he did in Larry Golding's organ trio. Man! Larry Goldings--I know this forum is about guitar--but holey schmoleys! Larry Goldings could make ANYONE sound good. Larry Goldings could make ME sound good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Ronny Jordan played a Norlin 175. I even think it's an early 80s mahogany one, exactly like mine. I always had a soft spot for him. Lots of soul in his playing ...
    Ronny Jordan - So What (Miles Davis) - Veojam

My favourite thing by him ever!
    Pure gold!

User Info Menu

Everything by my favourite jazz guitarist of all time:

User Info Menu

Classic Gibson ES-175 Recordings-h-rob-jpg
    "In the 1950's Roberts acquired a Gibson ES-175 with a single neck pickup. This was his main guitar throughout the '50's. He had a second ES-175 with a square hole cut into the guitars back. No one knows why he did this to the instrument."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Yes on Kenny and Wes.

No on Pete B. I still prefer his sound AND his playing on his Zeilder--that sound is... yeooooowzas!

I'm trying to gather everything he did in Larry Golding's organ trio. Man! Larry Goldings--I know this forum is about guitar--but holey schmoleys! Larry Goldings could make ANYONE sound good. Larry Goldings could make ME sound good!
    There is even a video concert of James Taylor in which he has Larry Goldings on piano... it is just superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    if we want to be completely accurate, those two players have great tone on any guitar they have recorded with.
    But not the same tone. I also think that Wes' tone improved in his career, due to improved technique, but that's another tale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    But not the same tone. I also think that Wes' tone improved in his career, due to improved technique, but that's another tale.
    Certainly, I cannot argue that the three iconic jazz guitars (ES-175, L-5 and Super 400 CES) have different tones. IMO, all are magnificent assuming one has a good example and a good skill set (I own good examples of all three and have a modicum of skill that gets great tone from all of them so long as they are played through a proper amp).

I do like Wes' later tone better than some early recordings. His one pickup L-5 along with his thumb technique and a solid state amp created a superb jazz guitar tone.

Kenny Burell's D'Angelico New Yorker through a Fender tube amp is another great example of jazz guitar tone.

But all of that said, Joe Pass got a tone with a 175 on those WPJ albums (think "For Django") that is second to none.

A good Gibson ES-175 is all the jazz guitar a jazz guitarist needs.

User Info Menu

Stringswinger,

Joe Pass does sound incredible on "For Django." It is different, but beautiful, in comparison with his 70s tone on Concord Jazz and Pablo records.

I like both sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    There is even a video concert of James Taylor in which he has Larry Goldings on piano... it is just superb.
    Goldings has been with Taylor for years

User Info Menu

Well if we include Kreisberg we also have to include early Metheny on the album Bright Size Life that invented the jazz guitar sound almost everyone’s been using for 40 years...

User Info Menu

You can't discount the impact the impact of PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    A little more modern, but it sounds great imo.

I was going to mention him also. I started listening to Jonathan Kreisberg when I got my ES-175 a few year ago.

He is more of a hard-core ES-175 user than some other guitarists listed in this thread.

Scroll up to 12:50...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well if we include Kreisberg we also have to include early Metheny on the album Bright Size Life that invented the jazz guitar sound almost everyone’s been using for 40 years...
    That's very true. How do they get that sound? Modernized ES 175 sound. A little brighter, lots of mids, compressed. I'm assuming pedals are involved.