Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    This was a hard one for me. The arrangement is by Pasquale Grasso who I feel is one of the best Guitar players of the modern era.
    The Guitar has been setup properly with proper string spacing and a fret level. Overall, it is automatic to play now. I hope to still have this guitar when I get my L5 Wes (which is still a ways off) So I can do some direct comparisons on it. Its hard to imagine another guitar playing any better.
    This one took 20 takes. I wanted to play it through perfectly, but I couldn't. As I get older, The difference between me and a Pro player grows increasingly more apparent. But I continue to attempt complicated stuff because I just keep trying.. I hope I never stop.
    I hope you like the video.
    And once again, thank you big Mike for making this guitar available to me. It is a perfect guitar that will no doubt make ANYONE happy. I assure you.

Thanks Guys,
    Joe DeNisco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listening through the reverb: you’ve never sounded better. Maybe this is *the* guitar for you. Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Joe, Sounds great! Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Joe D! That guitar sounds like gold in YOUR hands!
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

User Info Menu

Joe, great job--of course. Superbly executed.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a beautifully played rendition of "Have You Met Miss Jones". Your chops seem just fine to my ear.

And that Golden Eagle sounds amazing. I notice it has a set in pickup. Does it have a thicker top as well?

User Info Menu

I was hearing some Tal Farlow moves in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    This one took 20 takes. I wanted to play it through perfectly, but I couldn't. As I get older, The difference between me and a Pro player grows increasingly more apparent. But I continue to attempt complicated stuff because I just keep trying.. I hope I never stop.
    I hope you like the video.
    It was worth the effort!

User Info Menu

Fantastic! I really enjoyed listing to that. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    sounds beautiful Joe!
    Thank you Jack. You would have smoothed out those fast lines. It was really rewarding. The guitar sounds really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by skittles View Post
    Listening through the reverb: you’ve never sounded better. Maybe this is *the* guitar for you. Bravo.
    Skittles, Thank you Sir. The guitar is a star, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob taft View Post
    Joe, Sounds great! Thanks for posting.
    you got it Rob. It was my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker View Post
    Beautiful playing Joe D! That guitar sounds like gold in YOUR hands!
    This guitar wishes it was in YOUR hands bro. While it looks like your Wes, it is very different. The Gibson pickup on it and a tone knob helps take out the brightness. I adjusted the pickup higher on the bass side to give it balance. It’s right now. Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Joe, great job--of course. Superbly executed.
    Thank you Greentone. I always look forward to and appreciate your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Wow, what a beautifully played rendition of "Have You Met Miss Jones". Your chops seem just fine to my ear.
    And that Golden Eagle sounds amazing. I notice it has a set in pickup. Does it have a thicker top as well?
    My chops are a little choppy and my thinking isn’t as quick as it used to be, but I am proud of what I’ve accomplished on the guitar thus far.
    The top is VERY thin. It’s a bright guitar acoustically. It has a perfect neck too.
    Thanks Gitfiddler.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I was hearing some Tal Farlow moves in there.
    Yeah like when I picked up the guitar and rested it on the couch.. and that’s when the similarities end. I couldn’t carry Tals paint brushes.. Thanks bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo2006 View Post
    It was worth the effort!
    thank you Mateo!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmi3 View Post
    Fantastic! I really enjoyed listing to that. Thanks for sharing.
    i enjoyed playing it for you guys too. Thank you Jason.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration. Your talent + this Heritage gem = magic. Wow. Just, wow!

Roli

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Absolutely wonderful rendition,the guitar in your hands sounds superb,
    clear as a bell, one can hear every nuance, you are like JP in that
    practice is a mere formality ,you are up there my friend.
    Congratulations on your masterly playing and sharing it with us.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Joe, certainly sounding like a Pro to my ears :-)

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Sounds wonderful. Anyone who attempts a Pasquale arrangement deserves high praise for sure. I know how hard these arrangement are - and they take days of repetitive playing to get them under your fingers. Thanks for sharing Joe.

User Info Menu

Very nice chord melody solo of Have You Met Miss Jones!

And the sound you get out of your Heritage Golden Eagle is just gorgeous too.

Thanks for posting that video - made my day!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing and thanks for sharing. I'd get lost in that one.

I love that Golden Eagle, I'm still bonding with the one I just got. You get great tone with that set up.

User Info Menu

Joe,

You should consider being an endorsing artist for Heritage.

I would suggest you contact Pete Farmer to start and send some videos.

Before you reject the idea, consider that you reach a large number of those interested in buying jazz guitars, which is an important segment to them. Also, it doesn't cost Heritage much.

You have already helped Heritage a lot by playing that GE lately. If you switch to a WesMo, that benefit to them is diminished or completely lost.

Endorsing artists get their gear at cost or at least wholesale plus the quality is the best and you can customize it.

I'm serious about this. They have few endorsing artists besides those who have their own signature models.

What do you have to lose?
    MG

User Info Menu

I wanna be Joe D when I grow up.

Every video I see of yours inspires me, Joe.
    Thank you
    Jared

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Joe. It would take me all day (or more) just to get through the first 4 bars of that, but you got it all and lived to tell the tale.8

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Joe,

Before you reject the idea, consider that you reach a large number of those interested in buying jazz guitars, which is an important segment to them. Also, it doesn't cost Heritage much.

You have already helped Heritage a lot by playing that GE lately. If you switch to a WesMo, that benefit to them is diminished or completely lost.

Endorsing artists get their gear at cost or at least wholesale plus the quality is the best and you can customize it.

I'm serious about this. They have few endorsing artists besides those who have their own signature models.

+1

Mark is giving you GREAT advice here.

Mimi Fox is a heritage Endorser and got to specify aspects of her build. Have them build you a Golden Eagle with a thicker top and a Duncan 59 (which is very close to a Classic 57). You pick your favorite shade of sunburst. Talk about a win-win.

You can purchase a WESMO later in the game after your endorsement contract has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen View Post
    Joe,
    Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration. Your talent + this Heritage gem = magic. Wow. Just, wow!
    Roli
    Roli, That was a beautiful post. I really appreciate it. It makes me feel great to read stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by v281 View Post
    Beautiful playing Joe, certainly sounding like a Pro to my ears :-)
    v281, Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
    Beautiful playing and thanks for sharing. I'd get lost in that one.
    I love that Golden Eagle, I'm still bonding with the one I just got. You get great tone with that set up.
    Aw man thanks. Your Golden Eagle is really all the guitar anyone should ever really need. The smart buy for the Jazz player who wants a real deal Jazz Guitar, and it comes from Kalamazoo!
    Thanks, Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    Joe,
    Absolutely wonderful rendition,the guitar in your hands sounds superb,
    clear as a bell, one can hear every nuance, you are like JP in that
    practice is a mere formality ,you are up there my friend.
    Congratulations on your masterly playing and sharing it with us.
    007, Thank you my good friend. The Guitar is the star.
    And by the way, I find that my playing improves when I learn new stuff. I learned the Pick and pluck technique this time around and I've never actually done that before. It will help me comp and play chords and running bass lines. Thanks for everything Alan. You are a genuinely loveable man.
    Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Joe,
    Sounds wonderful. Anyone who attempts a Pasquale arrangement deserves high praise for sure. I know how hard these arrangement are - and they take days of repetitive playing to get them under your fingers. Thanks for sharing Joe.
    Steve, That was high praise, especially coming from a person with your background. You have seen it all and rubbed elbows with the finest players and builder of all time. It means alot to me that say such nice stuff. Thanks for being a gentleman.
    We have to talk soon. Thanks for everything.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    Very nice chord melody solo of Have You Met Miss Jones!
    And the sound you get out of your Heritage Golden Eagle is just gorgeous too.
    Thanks for posting that video - made my day!
    Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Hi Steve, Thank you sir. And your post post made my day too! Once again, thanks for doing what you do to keep this beautiful music alive and kickin.
    I appreciate your nice words, as always.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Magnificent work Joe, Patrick would be proud to hear his old Wineburst singing so sweetly in your hands, I shared the video with Fran and I'm sure she'll love it.
    Your playing really is so amazing. I can see why for weeks you said this piece was so tough. You nailed it. The tones you drag outta that Wineburst are staggering.
    Best playing I ever heard from a forum member. Period...

Go with your bad self

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
    I wanna be Joe D when I grow up.
    Every video I see of yours inspires me, Joe.
    Thank you
    Dedalus, Haha.. I get inspired when I read stuff like this. It makes me feel like all my time spent is not just wasted time. Its and accomplishment and if it wasn't for people like you and JGF, I wouldnt have anyone except my wife and my son to share it with. So, Thank YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Great stuff, Joe. It would take me all day (or more) just to get through the first 4 bars of that, but you got it all and lived to tell the tale.
    John
    Naa... I've seen you play John. You could take me.
    But you are right, the part of my brain (that I actually know how to use) can only hold so much. Thank you John.

User Info Menu

I am in complete agreement with Mark and Marco. The way things are going with Gibson it only makes sense to jump onto the Heritage ship.
    Heritage is beginning to float again. Gibson is the Titanic. They don’t even offer hollowbody guitars with trapeze tailpieces anymore. Custom orders are a non negotiation MAP price. Reverb L5’s are costing close to new. Going forward at present Heritage makes more sense. Plus they will spec build were Gibson will up charge you to death.

User Info Menu

Beautiful Joe! All your hard work paid off again. Your sound--especially with 'just the right' amount of reverb-- and playing has an organic quality that makes every note, chord and fill-in come alive with feeling and emotion.

Please keep posting Joe.

Tony D.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Joe,
    Great advice DMG.
    Ya know, the 1st day I met Patrick, he told me, "MartyGrass is my friend. Get close to him. He knows everything going on about every guitar in the country." Low and behold, I am playing this gorgeous guitar that he owned, that has pickup in that Ronaldo gave him (the Gibson pickup with the big piece of masking tape on it) and you are getting hear it. Thats all I really want. Through my difficult times, I actually feel like I've had multiple endorsement deals. So many people have been generous and kind to me. You are certainly one of those people. I cant thank you enough. I look forward to our offline talks. Patrick was right.
    Thanks MartyGrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    +1
    Mark is giving you GREAT advice here.
    Mimi Fox is a heritage Endorser and got to specify aspects of her build. Have them build you a Golden Eagle with a thicker top and a Duncan 59 (which is very close to a Classic 57). You pick your favorite shade of sunburst. Talk about a win-win.
    You can purchase a WESMO later in the game after your endorsement contract has expired.
    SS, You and Doug should be getting the endorsement deals. You guys play in front of packed houses. And you are Pro's. See, there is a difference. I can do the solo from the comfort of my couch. You guys do it live, in front of fans. Its natural to you. I've done some cool stuff, but not like you guys. At this stage, I can play in front of fans. But I'd have to plug them in and turn them on 1st.
    Thanks for being my pal Marco.

User Info Menu

Joe, clearly you are too old and can't play any more. Might as well send that guitar to a younger man - I'm only 20 - just saying.

Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    Magnificent work Joe, Patrick would be proud to hear his old Wineburst singing so sweetly in your hands, I shared the video with Fran and I'm sure she'll love it.
    Your playing really is so amazing. I can see why for weeks you said this piece was so tough. You nailed it. The tones you drag outta that Wineburst are staggering.
    Best playing I ever heard from a forum member. Period...
    Go with your bad self
    Big
    Mikey! My man. Thank you. As much as I try to deny it, this type of guitar is the right guitar for me. Of course, I am compelled to one day get myself to sound good on an L5. But these Heritage guitars can be tweaked ever so.. and they become pretty effortless to play. They dont require anything more than a light touch. And they get the job done and then some..
    The amount work that goes into learning one of these pieces by a master like Pasquale becomes sooo worth it when you hear beautiful words like what you just said.
    Thank you Mikey. Your friendship means alot to me. Its nice know someone who will actually be a Saint in heaven in about 30 years. Thats you buddy. And I know a couple of people like that..
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony View Post
    Beautiful Joe! All your hard work paid off again. Your sound--especially with 'just the right' amount of reverb-- and playing has an organic quality that makes every note, chord and fill-in come alive with feeling and emotion.
    Please keep posting Joe.
    Tony D.
    Tony you are always a gentleman. I appreciate your beautiful words all the time. I am so lucky to have played some beautiful guitars that allow me to talk through them. And then when I listen, I hear exactly what I wanted to say..
    Some guitars respond with an appropriate amount of excitement. Some dont. These guitars do.
    Thank you Tony D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Joe, clearly you are too old and can't play any more. Might as well send that guitar to a younger man - I'm only 20 - just saying.
    Stunning.
    Hahaha.. Thank you Robster.
    As I've always said.. I could sit there and listen to you play and TALK, all day long..
    Thanks buddy.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I am in complete agreement with Mark and Marco. The way things are going with Gibson it only makes sense to jump onto the Heritage ship.
    Heritage is beginning to float again. Gibson is the Titanic. They don’t even offer hollowbody guitars with trapeze tailpieces anymore. Custom orders are a non negotiation MAP price. Reverb L5’s are costing close to new. Going forward at present Heritage makes more sense. Plus they will spec build were Gibson will up charge you to death.
    Vinny,
    You are another one who will be a Saint one day.
    Keep the faith in Gibson, but don't let up them. Everything you do, is for the right reasons. And as painful as it is to see you tee off on Gibson, they need to hear that from people like you. People who have invested their hard earned money in the best they have to offer. They need to listen to you. You are a core customer who has walked the walk. If hope they are listening.
    You have to agree. When they get it right, they really get it right. They are going through some tough times right now. I hope they pull through. I know that would make you very happy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I agree Joe. Threatening the little boutique builder and suing the small guitar companies is not taking the high road. Gibson should be leading by example right now. Let us not forget that they screwed investors out of millions and millions of dollars.

Time for Gibson to eat a little humble pie. Not go into full attack mode. Respect is something that must be earned. Just like trust.
    Fence mending should be their no.1 priority right now followed by great customer relations and extreme quality made guitars.

They can return to greatness again but not by the road they are currently traveling down.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-01-2019 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Joe that was just superb. And honestly, I've had a Golden Eagle and I have an L5ces. Both are splendid, but I can't imagine an WesMo really sound better than you sound here. And the Heritage has just a hair "faster" neck than the L5 if I recall.

Of course, the heart has its reasons, and I love my L5 though I'm not worthy of it. But you really show how incredible the HGE really is.

I still miss my 90's era blonde/natural HGE to this day. Every day I think about that guitar. You've stirred a very sweet recollection.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

nice playing Joe
    were you in a reverb-y mood?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    nice playing Joe
    were you in a reverb-y mood?
    Thanks Wintermoon. Yeah I like the whispy, echoey sensation of the HD reverb in my Zoom G5n. It doesn't sound as strong on my headphones live as it did on the recording. I like recording with reverb because it relaxes me when I am playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe that was just superb. And honestly, I've had a Golden Eagle and I have an L5ces. Both are splendid, but I can't imagine an WesMo really sound better than you sound here. And the Heritage has just a hair "faster" neck than the L5 if I recall.
    Of course, the heart has its reasons, and I love my L5 though I'm not worthy of it. But you really show how incredible the HGE really is.
    I still miss my 90's era blonde/natural HGE to this day. Every day I think about that guitar. You've stirred a very sweet recollection.
    Aww thank you Lawson. As always, I appreciate to really nice things you say.
    I've had them both too. This Golden Eagle is a very light weight guitar. Acoustically, its sweet spot is in the mid to high pitch range. The neck on this guitar is just the way I like it, which is very close a modern day L5 neck. For some reason the neck on this Golden Eagle is not shallow in depth like alot of the Heritage Guitars I've sampled, although most of them were Johnny Smiths.
    One day soon I will be able to compare the Heritage Golden Eagle and the Gibson L5. I think this guitar was made in 2012, so comparing it to a modern Wes will be a fair comparison. I know there is a difference. The "Feel" of the guitars are just different. When I play this for a while and then I play my 165, the difference is very obvious. My 165 feels like it was carved out of one solid block of walnut and the Heritage feels like a variety of different woods glued together. I know this is apples and oranges but I have the same recollection of my previous L5's.
    Thanks Lawson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Thanks Wintermoon. Yeah I like the whispy, echoey sensation of the HD reverb in my Zoom G5n. It doesn't sound as strong on my headphones live as it did on the recording. I like recording with reverb because it relaxes me when I am playing.

Aww thank you Lawson. As always, I appreciate to really nice things you say.
    I've had them both too. This Golden Eagle is a very light weight guitar. Acoustically, its sweet spot is in the mid to high pitch range. The neck on this guitar is just the way I like it, which is very close a modern day L5 neck. For some reason the neck on this Golden Eagle is not shallow in depth like alot of the Heritage Guitars I've sampled, although most of them were Johnny Smiths.
    One day soon I will be able to compare the Heritage Golden Eagle and the Gibson L5. I think this guitar was made in 2012, so comparing it to a modern Wes will be a fair comparison. I know there is a difference. The "Feel" of the guitars are just different. When I play this for a while and then I play my 165, the difference is very obvious. My 165 feels like it was carved out of one solid block of walnut and the Heritage feels like a variety of different woods glued together. I know this is apples and oranges but I have the same recollection of my previous L5's.
    Thanks Lawson.
    The last comment is interesting. I think laminates of all types have a tendency to feel solid, one piece, as it were. Part of the "thunk" we all talk about. I find even my L5ces sounds more like a flowing together of tones while my 175s and "your" 165 feel more "of a piece." Your comment "carved out of one solid block of walnut" captures the feel of the Gibson laminates perfectly. I'd say my Aria Pro II PE180 also has that feel. Maybe a Tal Farlow too? I wouldn't know.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    The last comment is interesting. I think laminates of all types have a tendency to feel solid, one piece, as it were. Part of the "thunk" we all talk about. I find even my L5ces sounds more like a flowing together of tones while my 175s and "your" 165 feel more "of a piece." Your comment "carved out of one solid block of walnut" captures the feel of the Gibson laminates perfectly. I'd say my Aria Pro II PE180 also has that feel. Maybe a Tal Farlow too? I wouldn't know.
    A "flowing together of tones" might be what I perceive as a "wetter" tone than the dry and blunt (compressed?) tone of the Gibson laminates like the Tal and 175. Might have something to do with richer overtones and less compression in the carved tops
    Last edited by vinlander; 07-02-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: precision addons
    ...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Joe. Lovely guitar. Fleet playing. I admire your determination to keep attempting difficult things. That will keep you "young at heart."
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Perhaps you guys are right. But my Gibson Johnny Smith had that "carved out of one solid chunk of unobtainium" feel to it as well. Maybe its an illusion because of the weight? I brought this up to Ronaldo the day Patrick passed away and he said the same thing. He said the Heritage and Gibson guitars feel totally different and are not the same. He said it was in the "sides". I should have had him elaborate more but I let it go because he was too busy enjoying the Vaca Frita at Mi Bandera's.. That was a great and a horrible day at the same time.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Sounds great, Joe. Lovely guitar. Fleet playing. I admire your determination to keep attempting difficult things. That will keep you "young at heart."
    Mark, Thank you Sir. I appreciate it. I keep telling myself to stop and just, "play". But I remember my father telling me when I was around 15-16 yrs old to never get stale.. So I am always plugging and prodding.. It keeps me young at heart, but my brain... Well thats another story. Thanks Buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

ya know Joe D, at this point we fellows don't care just what guitar you are actually using..we just like to hear you play...you could play a squier bullet strat and sound sweet! always a pleasure to hear you bro..and praise your dedication and commitment

some nice swift runs in there!

happy 4th to you & all

cheers

User Info Menu

Only twenty takes? That piece would have taken me two hundred, and twice that many edits. You're a guitarist's guitarist in my book. Keep up the good work, young man!
    Best regards, k

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    ya know Joe D, at this point we fellows don't care just what guitar you are actually using..we just like to hear you play...you could play a squier bullet strat and sound sweet! always a pleasure to hear you bro..and praise your dedication and commitment
    some nice swift runs in there!
    happy 4th to you & all
    cheers
    Neatomic, Thank you very much.
    It has to be about the Guitar, or else they'll kick me off the forum..
    I've listened to this recording a bunch of times and while I thought I could do better (just after I recorded it and just before I posted it), I am very happy with it.
    I let some of Pasquale's absolute brilliance "breath a little".. I kept telling myself "vai piano, vai piano.." because I know I could never (even on my best day) keep up with the great Pasquale Grasso's pace. I didn't want it to get too sloppy.
    A dear friend told me that is the prettiest guitar they ever seen. Something about the big white bindings that frame it out. It is an absolutely beautiful guitar. And I look forard to exploring with it some more.
    Thanks buddy.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Only twenty takes? That piece would have taken me two hundred, and twice that many edits. You're a guitarist's guitarist in my book. Keep up the good work, young man!
    Haha. It was actually 18..
    Thank you citizenk74. I originally had my son at the ready with his editing skills, but I just didnt think it was right and I just posted it.
    As always, thank you for the gentlemanly things you say around here and when they are pointed in my direction, I certainly appreciate it. Big Time!
    Thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

Maybe too much verb, but really gorgeous tone that comes through it. Full electric carved top beauty. Awesome playing Joe.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?