The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

My thinline tele with the HB sized Lollar CC pickup really loves flats, but my other two teles have roundwounds. That thinline sounded great with flats when it had a Bartolini HB in it too, so maybe it's just the guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Flatwound strings are tamer sounding than roundwounds. When you switch, if you hold all other variables constant, you _will_ find that your guitar falls back into the mix in a band setting.

There are all sorts of ways to work this problem including just going back to roundwounds. However, I have been gigging exclusively with flats for years now. The guitar sits well in the mix, too.

I probably use a higher setting for the tone knob on the neck pickup and on the amp than when I used rounds. (I am using a tweed Deluxe, so the tone is actually set with just a "tone" knob.) Overall, I am enjoying the flats on the Telecaster.

User Info Menu

No harm will come from trying, and string changes are the easiest way to change the sound of your rig. If you like it, keep 'em. If you don't, toss 'em.

I've gone back and forth with flats over the years. I currently have them on my tele with humbuckers. I have them on this guitar particular because the flats help with some of the effects I'm using (tracking on an octave down).

User Info Menu

I have 12-50 TI Jazz Swings on my Tele. I have Bill Lawrence "micro-coil'' pickups

I used to use rounds on it but I've found the flats are better for the tones I want.
    It has a really nice western swin' vibe on the bridge pickup and the wound strings through the neck pickup have a 'bounce' to them.

If I use it through my JR Barnyard Preamp through to my DV Mark Little Jazz , I get a really authentic 40's/50's swing sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    I've tried chrome 11s. Very nice.
    I really liked the tone I got from chromes but they really chewed up my frets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I know what Hep means. Flatwound strings are tamer sounding than roundwounds. When you switch, if you hold all other variables constant, you _will_ find that your guitar falls back into the mix in a band setting.

There are all sorts of ways to work this problem including just going back to roundwounds. However, I have been gigging exclusively with flats for years now. The guitar sits well in the mix, too.

I probably use a higher setting for the tone knob on the neck pickup and on the amp than when I used rounds. (I am using a tweed Deluxe, so the tone is actually set with just a "tone" knob.) Overall, I am enjoying the flats on the Telecaster.
    Right. I guess with a Fender amp you can get more options. My amp is so primitive it doesn't have much room for adjustments. Plus, in my philosophy if it does take extra efforts to make it sound good, it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    You mean you don't play that Guild anymore? That sound very un-Hep-like

Besides your tele, your resonator, and your GJ git, what archie are you playing now?
    I sold that one to a very happy new owner from this forum, and got another with a mini humbucker. It sounds great too (but not with flats!), and more versatile for me. Even though, I don't gig with it much, not unless I have a gig where I must look a 'proper' jazz guy. Otherwise it's my blue tele with Bigsby, it sounds fantastic for anything (but not with flats!).

User Info Menu

I think for a lot of people it rounds vs flats. But rounds are different. Nickel wound and pure nickel are very different! I use pure nickel rounds and it sound really vintage jazz, more so than flats. I'd suggest try them first, because AFAIK most use nickel wound as default.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    I really liked the tone I got from chromes but they really chewed up my frets.
    thats because the chromes are stainless steel...and the stainless can be rough on frets

try thomastik flats...pure nickel..and much easier on frets..and fingers!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I think for a lot of people it rounds vs flats. But rounds are different. Nickel wound and pure nickel are very different! I use pure nickel rounds and it sound really vintage jazz, more so than flats. I'd suggest try them first, because AFAIK most use nickel wound as default.
    absolutely!..most guitars come standard with nickel plated steel roundwound strings...nps...which is just a thin plating of nickel over a steel outer wrap...pure nickel strings are solid nickel wrap...much softer on frets and fingers and with warmer broader tones

the only reason why pure nickel strings are not as prominent as they once were is strictly due to co$t...stainless steel is cheaper...that's why thomastik and pyramid pure nickel flats cost more than usa made ss flats

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-28-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

I have been using the DR Pure Blues but have been wondering what other round pure nickles I have been missing...

User Info Menu

TI Bebop strings are nickel. They are marvelous. I use the .13-.53 on my carved Unity archtop. Best string ever.

The .11 set would be great on a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

This is great pure nickel strings, my fav!

Telecaster and flatwound jazz strings-index-jpg

User Info Menu

Great idea! Here's how it'll sound (@9:40):

User Info Menu

I set my tele up for 12s. Right now they are rounds with a wound G. I also tune down to Eb and some times D.

Single coils sound fuller with heavier strings, as there is more mass vibrating the magnetic field. The trade off is string flex but that is remedied with the dropped tuning.

Never tried flats with the tele, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I'm not too much if a string bender and personally bending a thick gauge string sounds corny to me.

I am also undecided about shielding my tele. But I still might.

User Info Menu

My '66 Custom Telecaster came to me with the hang tags still on the guitar, sporting the OE 0.011 flatwounds. Chromes sound really nice on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    flats on tele is great...thats classic 50's tone...jimmy bryant, luther perkins on his "esquire"....

just don't go too heavy and you can still bend and twang...ti makes a 10-44 pure nickel set...or you can cobble your own set together..ghs makes a 09 flat set!!!
    That interests me! I played flats for a long time but have enjoyed the rounds on my Tele (which I just got this past Christmas). But I miss the flat when chunking rhythm. At the same time, I like the lighter gauge up top for blues, bends, double stops, and also enjoy the unwound (plain) G string. This could be worth a try for me...