Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Maybe a set of light TI flats? Good/bad idea?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s the way I roll. Set of 11s with an Ernie Ball 13 & 17 on the top.

User Info Menu

I've tried chrome 11s. Very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G View Post
    Maybe a set of light TI flats? Good/bad idea?
    Good or bad depends on what you're going to be playing?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes!

Thomastik Swings, .011

(but I have flats on all my guitars, even my Strats)

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

What's so wrong about playing with round wounds? I really quite like them. And I'd think that they'd bring out more of the natural twang of the tele--what's wrong with that? Maybe I'm an alien species in the world of jazz... methinks not

I used to use flats on my tele for jazz, until I found out Bickert used 10 gauge rounds.

I save flats for my surf guitar now.

User Info Menu

Either works. Got Chromes 11 on there right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Yes!

Thomastik Swings, .011
    Same here.

It's not a "good vs bad idea" issue. It's really personal preference.

I currently have chrome 11's on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    What's so wrong about playing with round wounds? I really quite like them. And I'd think that they'd bring out more of the natural twang of the tele--what's wrong with that? Maybe I'm an alien species in the world of jazz... methinks not
    Depends on the twang you want. Pete Anderson? Go rounds.

Luther Perkins? Flats are where its at.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

I have flats on mine, just to try, and I don't play it enough to bother changing them. It's really just a matter of whatever floats your boat. It's not a huge investment to change strings.

User Info Menu

I have TI 12s on both my electrics - a telecaster and a Rickenbacker 350. I would never go back to roundwound. I much prefer the sound.

User Info Menu

I put flats on my tele and the guitar just disappeared from the mix in a band situation. Basically made a tele not cut through! It may have something to do with the pickups (area t) and amp (octal tube), but on my archtop it sounded like crap too. I'll stay away from flats for good, I rather have flats on my car.

User Info Menu

flats on tele is great...thats classic 50's tone...jimmy bryant, luther perkins on his "esquire"....

just don't go too heavy and you can still bend and twang...ti makes a 10-44 pure nickel set...or you can cobble your own set together..ghs makes a 09 flat set!!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-27-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

What kind of strings and string gauges are Bill Frisell using on his Telecasters?
    Have I found it yet? I said that but I didn’t knew it. Did I knew that I had found it yet? No, it wasn’t what I was looking for. Nevermind. Ok.

-Pataphysical monologue based on Cartesian theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    I put flats on my tele and the guitar just disappeared from the mix in a band situation. Basically made a tele not cut through! It may have something to do with the pickups (area t) and amp (octal tube), but on my archtop it sounded like crap too. I'll stay away from flats for good, I rather have flats on my car.
    I get that.

So often "cutting through the mix" basically means I need more treble zing !!!

But that sound is not really the same sound as the best sound you can get at home.

User Info Menu

Ugh, "cutting through the mix" aka, "sign the guitar player is a hack."

Find your own place to occupy in the mix and there's nothing to "cut through."
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Does that mean you're finally back from the dark side? I remember when you said you were switching to flats, I thought "there goes another great player to the dark side"

Come back to us, Hep, Know your destiny! Mwahahahaha

On a more serious note, what you do mean by "cutting through the mix=a guitar hack?", Jeffy B?

I get frustrated when I play sessions and my sound turns into mud with everyone else playing. At that point, I say "why should I even play if I can't add something sonically that will compliment the sound of the band". I don't want to be the one making it more muddy--I'll leave that to my kiddo when she discovers playing in the rain

Not to derail completely, but I like rounds because of the sound they produce electrically and acoustically--so I can woodshed both to my liking.

Is the school year over in Chi-town yet? Is it time to sing our anthem?

SKKKKOOOOOOOL's OUT FOR THE SUMMMMMMAAAAAH!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go View Post
    I get that.

So often "cutting through the mix" basically means I need more treble zing !!!

But that sound is not really the same sound as the best sound you can get at home.
    Yes, at home it's a different story. I actually thought I quite like it at home, especially playing through plugins in computer with headphones. But my tele is not particularly treble zingy to begin with. Which is good for jazz though.

User Info Menu

The job of a rhythm guitarist is not to be heard, it's to make the rest of the band sound good. If you're being heard clearly while comping, you're doing it wrong. At least that's long been my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Ugh, "cutting through the mix" aka, "sign the guitar player is a hack."

Find your own place to occupy in the mix and there's nothing to "cut through."
    That doesn't even make sense! Place in the mix, cut through the mix- what's the difference, we're talking about the same thing! If I never experienced the problem before putting flats on, everything else is the same, then I know what I'm talking about, right?

You play in brass bands much? Try to play a band for a change, then we talk about hacks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Does that mean you're finally back from the dark side? I remember when you said you were switching to flats, I thought "there goes another great player to the dark side"

Come back to us, Hep, Know your destiny! Mwahahahaha

On a more serious note, what you do mean by "cutting through the mix=a guitar hack?", Jeffy B?

I get frustrated when I play sessions and my sound turns into mud with everyone else playing. At that point, I say "why should I even play if I can't add something sonically that will compliment the sound of the band". I don't want to be the one making it more muddy--I'll leave that to my kiddo when she discovers playing in the rain

Not to derail completely, but I like rounds because of the sound they produce electrically and acoustically--so I can woodshed both to my liking.

Is the school year over in Chi-town yet? Is it time to sing our anthem?

SKKKKOOOOOOOL's OUT FOR THE SUMMMMMMAAAAAH!!!
    Dude, yea, that's when I had that hollowbody Guild with a very bright P90ish pickup. Flats sounded very good on it! I moved on now, lol. Pure nickel rounds on all my guitars now, and love it.

User Info Menu

My thinline tele with the HB sized Lollar CC pickup really loves flats, but my other two teles have roundwounds. That thinline sounded great with flats when it had a Bartolini HB in it too, so maybe it's just the guitar.

User Info Menu

You mean you don't play that Guild anymore? That sound very un-Hep-like

Besides your tele, your resonator, and your GJ git, what archie are you playing now?

User Info Menu

I know what Hep means. Flatwound strings are tamer sounding than roundwounds. When you switch, if you hold all other variables constant, you _will_ find that your guitar falls back into the mix in a band setting.

There are all sorts of ways to work this problem including just going back to roundwounds. However, I have been gigging exclusively with flats for years now. The guitar sits well in the mix, too.

I probably use a higher setting for the tone knob on the neck pickup and on the amp than when I used rounds. (I am using a tweed Deluxe, so the tone is actually set with just a "tone" knob.) Overall, I am enjoying the flats on the Telecaster.

User Info Menu

No harm will come from trying, and string changes are the easiest way to change the sound of your rig. If you like it, keep 'em. If you don't, toss 'em.

I've gone back and forth with flats over the years. I currently have them on my tele with humbuckers. I have them on this guitar particular because the flats help with some of the effects I'm using (tracking on an octave down).

User Info Menu

I have 12-50 TI Jazz Swings on my Tele. I have Bill Lawrence "micro-coil'' pickups

I used to use rounds on it but I've found the flats are better for the tones I want.
    It has a really nice western swin' vibe on the bridge pickup and the wound strings through the neck pickup have a 'bounce' to them.

If I use it through my JR Barnyard Preamp through to my DV Mark Little Jazz , I get a really authentic 40's/50's swing sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee View Post
    I've tried chrome 11s. Very nice.
    I really liked the tone I got from chromes but they really chewed up my frets.
    Check out my tracks at www.soundcloud.com/billmcmannis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I know what Hep means. Flatwound strings are tamer sounding than roundwounds. When you switch, if you hold all other variables constant, you _will_ find that your guitar falls back into the mix in a band setting.

There are all sorts of ways to work this problem including just going back to roundwounds. However, I have been gigging exclusively with flats for years now. The guitar sits well in the mix, too.

I probably use a higher setting for the tone knob on the neck pickup and on the amp than when I used rounds. (I am using a tweed Deluxe, so the tone is actually set with just a "tone" knob.) Overall, I am enjoying the flats on the Telecaster.
    Right. I guess with a Fender amp you can get more options. My amp is so primitive it doesn't have much room for adjustments. Plus, in my philosophy if it does take extra efforts to make it sound good, it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    You mean you don't play that Guild anymore? That sound very un-Hep-like

Besides your tele, your resonator, and your GJ git, what archie are you playing now?
    I sold that one to a very happy new owner from this forum, and got another with a mini humbucker. It sounds great too (but not with flats!), and more versatile for me. Even though, I don't gig with it much, not unless I have a gig where I must look a 'proper' jazz guy. Otherwise it's my blue tele with Bigsby, it sounds fantastic for anything (but not with flats!).

User Info Menu

I think for a lot of people it rounds vs flats. But rounds are different. Nickel wound and pure nickel are very different! I use pure nickel rounds and it sound really vintage jazz, more so than flats. I'd suggest try them first, because AFAIK most use nickel wound as default.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman View Post
    I really liked the tone I got from chromes but they really chewed up my frets.
    thats because the chromes are stainless steel...and the stainless can be rough on frets

try thomastik flats...pure nickel..and much easier on frets..and fingers!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I think for a lot of people it rounds vs flats. But rounds are different. Nickel wound and pure nickel are very different! I use pure nickel rounds and it sound really vintage jazz, more so than flats. I'd suggest try them first, because AFAIK most use nickel wound as default.
    absolutely!..most guitars come standard with nickel plated steel roundwound strings...nps...which is just a thin plating of nickel over a steel outer wrap...pure nickel strings are solid nickel wrap...much softer on frets and fingers and with warmer broader tones

the only reason why pure nickel strings are not as prominent as they once were is strictly due to co$t...stainless steel is cheaper...that's why thomastik and pyramid pure nickel flats cost more than usa made ss flats

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-28-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

I have been using the DR Pure Blues but have been wondering what other round pure nickles I have been missing...
    Frank

"Ok, loan me $20, but only give me $10....that way you still owe me $10, and since I owe YOU $10, we'll be even......"

User Info Menu

TI Bebop strings are nickel. They are marvelous. I use the .13-.53 on my carved Unity archtop. Best string ever.

The .11 set would be great on a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

This is great pure nickel strings, my fav!

Flats on a Tele?-index-jpg

User Info Menu

Great idea! Here's how it'll sound (@9:40):

User Info Menu

I set my tele up for 12s. Right now they are rounds with a wound G. I also tune down to Eb and some times D.

Single coils sound fuller with heavier strings, as there is more mass vibrating the magnetic field. The trade off is string flex but that is remedied with the dropped tuning.

Never tried flats with the tele, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I'm not too much if a string bender and personally bending a thick gauge string sounds corny to me.

I am also undecided about shielding my tele. But I still might.

User Info Menu

My '66 Custom Telecaster came to me with the hang tags still on the guitar, sporting the OE 0.011 flatwounds. Chromes sound really nice on it.
    Best regards, k