Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

A tight dynamic mic like a sm57 that is miniature and attaches somehow to your guitar to amplify an acoustic.

No condenser mic suggestions please.

If this isn’t a thing; why not? Guitar through a tight dynamic mic is a no frills but effective solution to live sound for acoustic guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Would an SM11 work? I believe it’s a dynamic mic. I’m not sure about mounting it though.

User Info Menu

Folks used to used the SM11 (which is dynamic, by the way) as an acoustic guitar microphone back in the day--even though it was designed as a lavalier/lapel mic.

Some people used to affix the SM11 to the top, or even inside the top, of their guitars. This was an early predecessor to the contemporary internal (K&K, for example) mic setup.

I haven't tried this, so I cannot comment on its efficacy. I have always preferred to sit/stand in front of a mic on a stand, i.e., an SM57 or a condenser mic...although this was for playing flattop in bluegrass situations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Folks used to used the SM11 (which is dynamic, by the way) as an acoustic guitar microphone back in the day--even though it was designed as a lavalier/lapel mic.

Some people used to affix the SM11 to the top, or even inside the top, of their guitars. This was an early predecessor to the contemporary internal (K&K, for example) mic setup.

I haven't tried this, so I cannot comment on its efficacy. I have always preferred to sit/stand in front of a mic on a stand, i.e., an SM57 or a condenser mic...although this was for playing flattop in bluegrass situations.
    I did see the SM11.

Definitely advantages to the boom mic approach - I like the way you can use mic technique... all the best gigs on macaferri or acoustic archtop I’ve had soundwise had that set up, either sm57 or a condenser with a suitably enthusiastic sound engineer (they seem to have them on mainland Europe)

User Info Menu

I was gonna mention a quality dynamic lavalier mic also.