The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Was Gilad using the protoype of the 202?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just a thought Jack, since you had pretty positive comments (minus the lack of reverb) about the overdrive, do you think you'll get a chance to A/B the 202 and overdrive?

User Info Menu

The new TB 202 has an FRFR Voicing on its front panel, Jack.

User Info Menu

I hope I am not crashing this thread and being rude. I have been looking at the Tech 21 NYC Power Engine Deuce Deluxe (130W into 8 ohms; 200W into 4 ohms) and I can get two for the price of one TB 202 and 12HD speaker cab.

The Tech 21 PEDD is Made in Korea and is touted to be FRFR that takes pedals (duh!) and modellers well.

The Quilter TB202 and 12HD combo looks the biz but it does come at a premium. With use of pedals in mind, it looks expensive vis á vis the $449 Tech 21 PEDD. The amp module of the PEDD has a retail list price of $50.

I am trying to convince myself to get the Quilter combo but I don't see the value proposition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Just a thought Jack, since you had pretty positive comments (minus the lack of reverb) about the overdrive, do you think you'll get a chance to A/B the 202 and overdrive?
    I'll definitely compare them. Not going to do a video shoot out though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I hope I am not crashing this thread and being rude. I have been looking at the Tech 21 NYC Power Engine Deuce Deluxe (130W into 8 ohms; 200W into 4 ohms) and I can get two for the price of one TB 202 and 12HD speaker cab.

The Tech 21 PEDD is Made in Korea and is touted to be FRFR that takes pedals (duh!) and modellers well.
    How much does the Tech 21 NYC Power Engine Deuce Deluxe weigh ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but does any know what the differences would be between putting a modeller into the FRFR input on the 202 and putting it into the Effects return on a Micropro Mach 2?
    The FRFR switch on the Tone Block 202 changes the output impedance of the amplifier and stiffens it up so you can pass your cab sim through. Going in the Effects Return on the MicroPro you'll still have our high output impedance / low damping factor relationship with the speaker so you'd probably want to turn your cab sims off in the modeler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    Was Gilad using the protoype of the 202?
    Yep! His is the same as the production model. Yotam Silberstein has one headed his way too.

User Info Menu

Following up on PeterMelton's posts, the 202 is really designed to use with modeling front ends, using the FRFR input.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I'm very keen to get one of these.

From what I've heard the 101 reverb was a fairly bright amp of the blackface Fender vein

Does anyone know if the 202 is voiced as bright?

Curious to know as I'd be pairing it with a JBL-D130 which has an aluminium dust cap, a fairly hifi speaker. Worried it might be too bright sounding for a good jazz tone.
    I've gigged non-stop for the past year with the 101 Mini Reverb and did not find it to be too bright with my 335, 175, or Tele. I do back off the Treble to between 10 and 11 o'clock, depending on the room and set-up. Other than that, I use the Middle to make it sound more or less "blackface-like". I've run it into a cab with a classic Jensen, a Raezer's Edge Stealth, and into my Princeton Reverb cab which has a 12" Emi Cannabis Rex. All of these speakers are probably not as present and hi-fi like as your D-130, however. From the demo's I've heard, it sounds like the 202 has similar tone circuit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    How much does the Tech 21 NYC Power Engine Deuce Deluxe weigh ?
    29 pounds.

User Info Menu

The Quilter amps have an Excellent Clean tone ! So when comparing other brands make sure they are in the same ballpark.
    In have a Katana 100 Boss head,and although way more versatile and bang for the buck. It doesn't have as good of Clean channel in my opinion.

User Info Menu

First TB 202s are being shipped. Anybody here has got one? How does it compare to 101R – or other Quilters – with an archtop?

User Info Menu

Yes, someone please post your evaluation. I'll be interested to know how the tone (or range of tones) differ from the 101 Reverb. Certainly, there are more bells and whistles and more power, but has the tone changed much?

User Info Menu

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does the frfr setting bypass/override any other settings? Tone stack? Gain?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    First TB 202s are being shipped. Anybody here has got one? How does it compare to 101R – or other Quilters – with an archtop?

I took delivery a couple days back. Diggity. I will be keeping it. Currently running into Quilter Mach2 HD extension cab with Celestion Neo 12" speak. Will be buying the BlockDock 12 soon which has the same speaker.

I also like, and possibly even prefer how it sounds into Mesa Wide-Body single 12 cab. Seems to have a bigger... more lush (?) bottom end, which isn't surprising since it's a much larger cab and is ported. I don't think that'd come thru very much in an ensemble setting, but if I ever got a gig that really mattered in a venue that could support it, I might use both the Dock12 and Mesa. (me gigging like that again is highly unlikely...but you never know....)

I also own Aviator 8, which I like in combo with the Mach2 cabinet and Empress ParaEq. I like everything about this setup except the number of pieces and setup time. I took that to a audition for a lounge type quartet playing standards, and they kinda looked on in fear as I put things together. They'd like to see a Blu or a Polytone type rig. But the 8 by itself just doesn't quite get there for me. I've accepted that I like a 12" speaker.

My hope for the 202 was for a very simple 1 piece rig weighing in around 20lbs that gets what I want, and I think I am there once I have the Dock12.

As to tone controls: much better range of sounds for me than the Aviator. I don't know the jargon but these controls seem to be more 'potent'. I don't need the ParaEQ to find what I like with the ToneBlock. I do like a little bark when I spank it a bit. Like Wes on Impressions or some of K Burrells sounds. Can get that at any volume with 202. And more clean headroom that I could ever take advantage of.

I play Eastman 880 Pisano and Lehmann Session 16. Both fully carved archies with hand-made Armstrong Pafs.

Oh.... I'll add that I also own Mesa Studio 22+ with C. Rex 12". That sounded quite acceptable with TB202 as well. Just wanted to hear it into a open back cab with diff speaker.

Happy to try to answer any questions if I can, and will report back RE Dock12 when it arrives.

User Info Menu

I've found with a Carved Solid Top guitar the Aviator 8" Combo works exceptionally well. You don't get the feedback issues near as much as a larger 12" speaker.

Thanks for the review of the newer Quilter 202TB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I've found with a Carved Solid Top guitar the Aviator 8" Combo works exceptionally well. You don't get the feedback issues near as much as a larger 12" speaker.
    I totally get that. Guess I haven't needed to play at a volume where feedback is an issue.... yet. I plan on keeping the Avi8 for just such a scenario, or a situation where I really want 2 channels.

So... seems to me I've fallen right into Quilter's trap. I have a 2 channel whose tone stack I'm not totally in love with, and a 1 channel amp whose sound I am. Next year they'll put out the OD202: a 2 channel amp with TB202 tone controls. And I'll be forced to buy that and sell the 2 I have now.... :-) It's wicked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Okay. Here's a demo of the Micro Block 202 I wanted to see.

Tim is running the 202 into the Block Dock 10, which is what I would use. (If you choose the Dock 12 you are in the weight class of a Polytone.)
    Cool amp. If I ever dig myself out of my pile of tube amps I may try one some day.There are other great Quilter demos I've seen.

And Greentone, thanks for posting that clip. I wasn't aware of Tim Lerch. I picked up a couple new licks and chord shapes from that C-Min jam. One is at around 3 minutes he does a cool little pull off double stop at the 8th fret then repeats it again. That got my interest going. Inspired me and I dug into it some more. I needed some new influence I rarely get to play with anyone..kids and career etc. Thanks to Tim as well.

What Gibson model is that?

User Info Menu

Tim is playing an early-50s Gibson ES-350.

User Info Menu

OK then. I've had the BlockDock 12 for a few days and am using the ToneBlock 202 in it. I'm very happy. Not sure I can add much more. Here's a couple thoughts:

The open back Dock has a very different sound than the same speaker in the Mach2 closed cab. The closed cab is a tighter flatter sound. The open Dock spreads a lot more low and mid low around the room. My history is such that I'm very used to the sound of the 12 inch speaker in an open cab. 40 years playing and almost 20 years gigging Mesa combos will do that to you. I'm just more comfortable with this. It is much more susceptible to the dreaded 'woooo' if you get too close though.

I'll say again that the tone controls of the TB202 are just about perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm running it almost flat. Just a slight cut in treble and a little more in mid. I'm a pro player. It's just that I haven't had a gig in 25 years, so I'm playing on my own in the basement. I can see that in an ensemble I'll be cutting base more as the volume increases. But I'm loving it now. Very big and warm. I think folks who find other Quilters too bright or 'nasally' are going to notice a major difference with this head. Previously I'd been taking a hefty bite out of my Aviator tone at around 1.5K and a little boost around 400 with Empress ParaEQ. Not needed at all with this amp. 'Full Q' puts me right in my wheelhouse, but I've played with 'Vintage' a bit and find it interesting and very usable too.

And of course we all know how light it is. Lifting BlockDock 12 with TB202 feels pretty much the same as lifting Avi8.

All in all just a great guitar amp for me, though I'm still getting used to the lack of weight. It just doesn't seem... right. My ol' fave was the 100 watter with the giant Altec magnet. I was a lot younger then but that really felt like a guitar amp and gave a sense of confidence by weight alone. This just kinda seems too light to be real. (price tag helps make it feel pretty real though :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    OK then. I've had the BlockDock 12 for a few days and am using the ToneBlock 202 in it. I'm very happy. Not sure I can add much more. Here's a couple thoughts:

The open back Dock has a very different sound than the same speaker in the Mach2 closed cab. The closed cab is a tighter flatter sound. The open Dock spreads a lot more low and mid low around the room. My history is such that I'm very used to the sound of the 12 inch speaker in an open cab. 40 years playing and almost 20 years gigging Mesa combos will do that to you. I'm just more comfortable with this. It is much more susceptible to the dreaded 'woooo' if you get too close though.

I'll say again that the tone controls of the TB202 are just about perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm running it almost flat. Just a slight cut in treble and a little more in mid. I'm a pro player. It's just that I haven't had a gig in 25 years, so I'm playing on my own in the basement. I can see that in an ensemble I'll be cutting base more as the volume increases. But I'm loving it now. Very big and warm. I think folks who find other Quilters too bright or 'nasally' are going to notice a major difference with this head. Previously I'd been taking a hefty bite out of my Aviator tone at around 1.5K and a little boost around 400 with Empress ParaEQ. Not needed at all with this amp. 'Full Q' puts me right in my wheelhouse, but I've played with 'Vintage' a bit and find it interesting and very usable too.

And of course we all know how light it is. Lifting BlockDock 12 with TB202 feels pretty much the same as lifting Avi8.

All in all just a great guitar amp for me, though I'm still getting used to the lack of weight. It just doesn't seem... right. My ol' fave was the 100 watter with the giant Altec magnet. I was a lot younger then but that really felt like a guitar amp and gave a sense of confidence by weight alone. This just kinda seems too light to be real. (price tag helps make it feel pretty real though :-)
    Thanks for the detailed review.

What type of guitar have You played with it? Genre?

User Info Menu

16 inch solid wood carved archtops, 2 3/4 deep. One set and one floater, both single K.A. pafs.

Genre.... I guess it's mostly some sort of modern jazz. Mostly my own solo thing. Lately I've been spending a bit of time with Stolen Moments, Mellow Mood and Footprints as well. And I'm always working on the classic ballads, but I kinda suck at that. I was a fusioneer in the 70's and never really learned how to do that right.

User Info Menu

So the Blockdock 12 is open back ....

the Blockdock 10 appears to be closed back
    I wonder why ? more bass presumably ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    16 inch solid wood carved archtops, 2 3/4 deep. One set and one floater, both single K.A. pafs.

Genre.... I guess it's mostly some sort of modern jazz. Mostly my own solo thing. Lately I've been spending a bit of time with Stolen Moments, Mellow Mood and Footprints as well. And I'm always working on the classic ballads, but I kinda suck at that. I was a fusioneer in the 70's and never really learned how to do that right.
    Ok, sounds good.

I may have asked this before but is there any difference in Vintage vs Full Q voicings with an archtop?

I mean I have a Quilter 101R which has the Vintage voicing. To my ears my ES175 VOS sounds a bit thin with it. So I am interested would the TB202 and its Full Q make an archtop sound much fuller.