The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

If I ever see a Dean with a nut that’s not cut worth a shit I’ll give Gibson corporate a heads up so they can sue the bejesesus out of them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    If I ever see a Dean with a nut that’s not cut worth a shit I’ll give Gibson corporate a heads up so they can sue the bejesesus out of them.
    Your and my neighbourhood techs are happy that Gibson cannot cut a nut worth shit. Keeps their lights on and their children fed. What would guitar techs do if Gibson sent out perfectly set-up guitars? My neighbourhood tech used to have a shrine with Henry J's portrait on it. It has since been replaced by one of JC's.

Techs everywhere are secretly thankful for Gibson's consideration towards them. Don't leave your poor tech out of a $50 to $75 set up fee. It is unconscionable.

User Info Menu

These lawsuits after 1) so many years and 2) a new CEO...

I'm skeptical of their merit. There is a history of larger companies bullying smaller companies with lawsuits, such as Monster Cable and Titleist. Smaller companies can't afford to defend; large companies legal departments become profit centers. There is a term, "Strike Lawsuit".

I lean to maybe it's legit but most likely it is not.

User Info Menu

Sadly I think this lawsuit signifies that Gibson has not decided to make building the best guitars that they build and applying high standards of quality control as their top priority. If they had waited until they had brought quality up and earned back the trust and respect of players, few would bat an eye at them going after "infringers".
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...someone should write a song about it.

User Info Menu

The CEO of Gibson was former head of Levi Strauss, which has had a decades long crusade against copyright infringers and counterfeiters. With 90% of Levi's jeans sold in Europe for the past 30 years being fake, it was a serious activity of the company to fight it. Maybe the new Gibson boss brings some of that brand protection mentality with him to his new job. With Levi's, it was a totally legitimate battle that was ripping off the company for millions a year. This new fight against other guitar manufacturers could be no more than the status quo for his business experience. I'm not being an apologist for it, smart businessmen know how to work the legal system. Gibson does have a history of lawsuits. Were those other guys being pricks too?

I have never owned a Gibson, I could care less.

User Info Menu

If you own own intellectual property, protect it.

If you do not own intellectual property, you are bankrupt.

User Info Menu

I'm bankrupt? I never knew.

User Info Menu

A video by James James. This guy has posted dozens (if not a few hundred) videos teaching people how to play some great songs. He's exceptionally good at that. I don't know what he does for a living but he plays a wide variety of guitar on his videos.

Here he talks about Gibson.

Here he is teaching "Sign, Sealed, Delivered" (the Frampton version)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    fake news.
    Maybe, but it's been reported regularly for over 30 years.

User Info Menu

This is a Good Thing. Gibson's lawyers will encourage manufacturers to think about design and to innovate, rather than copying guitars first made in the 1950s. Gibson will continue to rely on their 1950s patents, but other manufacturers and individual luthiers will make new models. We might be at the beginning of a golden age of guitar design.

User Info Menu

Patents expire but trademarks can live forever—if one takes the correct steps to protect them. The argument that Gibson waited much too long to do on certain guitar body shapes seems reasonable to me.

Patents are intended to protect designs that have a functional purpose. Trademarks are intended to protect a firm’s identity and marketing. Gibson argues that the body shapes are the latter. There might be a case for that on the Flying V, since I’m not aware of any functional advantage to that shape. But Gibson neglected to protect the shape as a trademark for so long their case doesn’t seem credible.

Fender’s attempt to protect the Stratocaster body shape as a trademark failed because by the time Fender decided to protect it as such, other manufacturers had been using it for many years. Fender had patented the body shape for it’s functional advantages, but once the patent ran out I think they waited too long to try to protect it as a trademark.
    Fender loses guitar copyright case | MusicRadar

Premier Guitar had a good overview of the trademark case for Fender.
    Shapes of Things: A Brief History of the Peculiar Behind-the-Scenes War Over Guitar Designs
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-23-2019 at 02:28 AM.

User Info Menu

as for the topic:
    Original vid - no hammering in the background...they seem to understand how the Internet works almost as well as they understand how to sell guitars.

Edit - Mark, if they are hurting or torturing you, blink twice in your next video. (one of the comments from original vid)

Gibsons Play Authentic Video they Pulled off of Youtube : guitars
    Last edited by dot75; 06-23-2019 at 07:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Also...

Didn't Gibson do a slash les paul custom shop model that was a copy of slash's lp copy he got because his gibson lp was cr*p ?

Peace out - my head hurts now.

User Info Menu

The general public is what corporations usually are selling to. And now their target audience or a big enough part of it has spoken back. And since they haven't come back with a response of yes this was a bad idea quick enough.
    People are doubly unhappy with them and feeling like chumps for believing the new CEO, and his love for Gibson speeches.

So funny how we all want our cake and the baker to have our moral ethics as well,LOL!

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read on another forum ... Gibson Les Paul oriented with people well versed in Gibson's history ... that the headstock design was in the pubic domain 100 years ago when Orville Gibson started using it. Go figure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vinnie
    ...that the headstock design was in the pubic domain 100 years ago when Orville Gibson started using it...
    No wonder he got ousted relatively early. He ripped off something already dirty.

User Info Menu

Not only the guitar, but it seems he invented the term "App" long before the millenials.

User Info Menu

interesting page about the possible real inventor of the "les paul" guitar:

O. W. Appleton Home Page
    That is interesting and apparently legit, but to be honest I don't think his design was completely unique. Bigsby and Fender had marketed SB electrics well before Gibson. The Bigsby Travis guitar had an ES shape and a headstock suspiciously like Leo Fender's later guitars. (Bigsby was a machinist by trade, btw--used to say "I can build anything...") Too bad Gibson didn't take Appleton's idea and run with it in the 40's, but any guy with a bandsaw could cut an ES-style guitar out of a plank of wood and put a pickup in it.

Bisby Travis guitar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That is interesting and apparently legit, but to be honest I don't think his design was completely unique. Bigsby and Fender had marketed SB electrics well before Gibson. The Bigsby Travis guitar had an ES shape and a headstock suspiciously like Leo Fender's later guitars
    I thought the 'Fender' etc headstock design was meant to echo a violin scroll ?
    Attached Images Attached Images What's Going On With Gibson-scroll-jpg 

User Info Menu

From what I've heard and read (I wasn't in the loop back then) Fender copied Bigsby's headstock, not the other way around.

User Info Menu

<<SNIP<<
    the part about taping the headstock is just hilarious. that agnesi guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Yup!!

They (the media guys) tape over brand names all the time, it's not for trademark infringement, nobody gets free ad space, just look at the Nikon camera logo it's ALWAYS taped over. Who gets ad space? Apple, soda and beer brands, Sony and more, because they likely pay a lot for the presence there.

Trademark infringement using a git in a movie? R-E-A-L-L-Y??? Players on stage should start taping over the heads of their "genuine" Gibson gits and let's see them howl to take the tape off :-) Let anyone at Gibson tell me or other players we are COMPELLED to advertise for them without compensation :-)

It goes to show you making a lot of money cannot buy you common sense.

User Info Menu

BTW, here are Gibson's registered trademarks including headstock, body, and pickguard designs:

Gibson Brands Inc Registered Patents And Trademarks

User Info Menu

This "infringement" I find puzzling:

What's Going On With Gibson-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

For a ZZ Top appearance on Jools Holland's Later, sometime in the mid-90s, Billy Gibbons taped over the logo on his Les Paul, then wrote Tokai on the tape.

What's Going On With Gibson-zz-top-jpg

User Info Menu

Meshuggah used to tape over their Ibanez logos until the company recognized them in an official capacity. It might be a good idea for all of us to adopt. ;-)