The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I want to raise my 335 style guitar's pickguard. I'm going to insert surgical tubing to raise it up on near the neck about 3/16" but the screw isn't long enough. Anyone know where I can get longer ones? When I search google or stewmac for this, I end up only finding fender pickguard screws or screws for the bracket side.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just go to local hardware store, lowes, menards, ace ect... Start look in the bins they will have a zillion choices.

User Info Menu

Your other options are shops that cater for aeromodelling or model engineering. They usually have small screws of all sorts.

Burt Rutan shops here:

Screws from Aircraft Spruce .

User Info Menu

Try here Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online If they don't have it most likely it's not made.

Check out their spacers. nylon may be better than tubing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    Try here Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online If they don't have it most likely it's not made.

Check out their spacers. nylon may be better than tubing.
    +1 on nylon bushings. Much more stable/secure than tubing. Avail at most hardware stores, and you can get them any length and cut to perfection.

longer semihollow pickguard screws?-bushings-jpg

thanks although when you compress the surgical tubing just a tiny bit it's very stable. I've used it tons of times for pickup height and pickguards. I wouldn't use it on the back side of the pickguard though near the bridge. That's where I'd use the dowel rod.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I want to raise my 335 style guitar's pickguard. I'm going to insert surgical tubing to raise it up on near the neck about 3/16" but the screw isn't long enough. Anyone know where I can get longer ones? When I search google or stewmac for this, I end up only finding fender pickguard screws or screws for the bracket side.
    Take the screw with you to a hardware store and pick out a longer one.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't use a dowel under the pickguard. It's hard, and will scratch the top. I use hard foam cut to size, attached to the pickguard with double-sided tape.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I wouldn't use a dowel under the pickguard. It's hard, and will scratch the top. I use hard foam cut to size, attached to the pickguard with double-sided tape.
    I've used them literally for years on archtops with lacquer finishes and never had a problem. A couple times, I've glued felt to the bottom but there is not a huge amount of pressure there so I don't think it's necessary. This guitar is urethane so I think it'll be ok. If I had some hard foam I'd probably use that instead but I don't have any handy. Where can I get a small piece? Amazon maybe?

User Info Menu

EVA foam: craft supplies or your favourite old pair of Havaianas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    EVA foam: craft supplies or your favourite old pair of Havaianas.
    quick glance on amazon and all the eva foam was very thin. Not thick enough for my purposes.

neither home depot nor ace hardware had a small enough wood screw. It's a small, specialty pickguard screw. Smaller than a #4. Smallest either hardware store had was #6

User Info Menu

I get my foam from cutting up old tool cases, or whatever. I've never bought any, I just use whatever I find. I probably have a lifetime supply of black lying around waiting to be used. I've used it on a few guitars and on other stuff.

If you can't find the screws locally, AllParts probably has lots of them. Not cheap, but if only they have it, they can set the price. Also check Guitar Parts Factory :: Aftermarket Gibson Pickguard Screws. I didn't look closely, but there are lots of Gibson-type pickguard screws there.

i ended up using chair leg, adhesive backed leveling pads instead of the foam or dowels. Found the perfect height. All the pickguard screws on that link were short.

these are the closest I can find but they are the wrong thread pitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Snug-Fastener...gateway&sr=8-3

User Info Menu

Jack Try these. They also offer it in cad and gold

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...d-screw-black/

Thanks Rob!

Rob, if you look at the pictures of the chrome vs the black, the black seem to have the correct pitch but the chrome do not. I don't know if that's just the picture or if they are actually different screws...

User Info Menu

Jack, They look pretty close to me. See Pics. But contact the website. PS: Re: your Fargen and Blackface. My vote is go with Ben. Great guy, honest, reasonable and knows his sh!t. I own one of his amps.

longer semihollow pickguard screws?-3-screws1jpg_page1-jpg
    Last edited by rob taft; 06-21-2019 at 10:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-22-2019 at 09:23 AM.

the ones in there currently are #3. I ordered a dozen from the link rob posted.