The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

The late Patrick Amato (Patrick2) sold an L-5 Wesmo to Joe Denisco (Max405). Joe then sold this guitar to Doug Martin (Gitpicker). It is very cool when we can keep great archtops in the JGF family.

Here is a video of Doug putting that guitar to good use:

I would say that this particular Gibson is in good hands for sure. Doug has that rare combination of chops and taste. And he proves that a fine Gibson archtop is all the guitar any jazz guitarist really needs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing Marc! Man I love this guitar more every day I play it. I'm happy I can keep the guitar in good use doing the thing it was built for!

User Info Menu

Another jazzguitar.be success story!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Another jazzguitar.be success story!
    Indeed! Marc and I are old friends from the Bay Area. Marc introduced me to Joe D (Max405) when I was in the market to buy another Wesmo to replace one that I unfortunately sold previously. As it turns out this guitar was in fact owned by late forum member Patrick Amato. The guitar has been everything I could have hoped for and gets out in public at least a few nights a week in front of people on live gigs.

I monitor humidity religiously with this axe and I hope that it continues to give myself and audiences musical joy for years to come. Happy to be the current custodian. RIP Patrick, your guitar is in good hands I promise!

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Doug.

Everyone with a "Patrick2" guitar has an excellent story and an excellent instrument.

As far as keeping guitars in the JGF family goes, I have "Lady Rose." I bought it from Patrick, who bought it from Marc (MartyGrass), who bought it from Greg (2bornot2bop), who bought it from Peter (I think I got this right).

Rose is a Antique Rose Sunburst Heritage Super Eagle (2002) with extra binding and premium woods that Peter got from Wolfe Guitars in Florida, if I have followed the chain correctly. It has been in the JGF group for some time. It is a wonderful guitar...and it is how I met Patrick D'Amato.
    A Wesmo with a long forum history-rose-jpg

User Info Menu

Known in Beijing as “Rug” our boy Doug is as good as it gets.
    Thank you Marco for introducing us. We have developed a great friendship offline and I am blessed to know these 2 top flight professional jazz guitar players. You guys do what I can never do and I am proud of you guys.

Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 06-21-2019 at 07:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Always a pleasure to hear you play Doug! AE

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing Doug! I am also a proud owner of a Patrick Amato guitar. I believe this is a picture of our guitars while under Patrick's care.

A Wesmo with a long forum history-l5_001-jpg

I'm always happy when Patrick's name resurfaces on the Forum.

A Wesmo with a long forum history-l5_005-jpg

User Info Menu

Well it so happens that I also own a Patrick Amato owned guitar (that came to me through Joe D.). Mine is a D'Angelico New Yorker replica built by JP Moats (of Heritage Guitars, formerly one of Gibson's top archtop builders in the 60's) and Ron DeMarino (a friend of John D'Angelico and John Lennon's personal luthier). Here she is: A Wesmo with a long forum history-dangelico-ii-new-yorker-jpg

User Info Menu

Patrick would be very pleased with this thread.

It's great that these guitars are kept within the fold here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Sounds great, Doug.

Everyone with a "Patrick2" guitar has an excellent story and an excellent instrument.

As far as keeping guitars in the JGF family goes, I have "Lady Rose." I bought it from Patrick, who bought it from Marc (MartyGrass), who bought it from Greg (2bornot2bop), who bought it from Peter (I think I got this right).

Rose is a Antique Rose Sunburst Heritage Super Eagle (2002) with extra binding and premium woods that Peter got from Wolfe Guitars in Florida, if I have followed the chain correctly. It has been in the JGF group for some time. It is a wonderful guitar...and it is how I met Patrick D'Amato.
    A Wesmo with a long forum history-rose-jpg
    Greenstone that is a gorgeous guitar! Wow it seems that Patrick's memory lives on in this forum through the guitars and now us. What a nice axe you have there. I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Known in Beijing as “Rug” our boy Doug is as good as it gets.
    Thank you Marco for introducing us. We have developed a great friendship offline and I am blessed to know these 2 top flight professional jazz guitar players. You guys do what I can never do and I am proud of you guys.

Joe D
    Man it is so true. The ensuing friendship that has come out of this guitar acquisition continue to be a joy my friend. I disagree with you on one thing though Joe, you are a superb player and you could and should be out there doing making music in public.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Wonderful playing Doug! I am also a proud owner of a Patrick Amato guitar. I believe this is a picture of our guitars while under Patrick's care.

Los Altos Joe that is so cool to see our guitars together! I love the other photo with Patrick and his harem. The man truly had some wonderful guitars and I am delighted to see that several forum members are now the current custodians of these fine instruments. I never knew the man personally as I joined the forum after he passed on but from reading his old posts on several old threads I can tell 1) he was quite a character, 2) he and I would have gotten along swimmingly. It's pretty beautiful in it's own way that a guitar collection can continue to carry one's name on and continue to bring people together after one has "left the stage".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Always a pleasure to hear you play Doug! AE
    Archtop Eddy! I miss you man, been way too many years. I still have the Selmer guitar pin you gave me at Djangofest many years ago!! It has been on the lapel of one of my suits for years now and every time I wear it I still get tons of comments from people. I am constantly reminded of you for that Hope to see you stateside again sometime! I hope your hand is doing better too my friend.

User Info Menu

This thread speaks volumes more than that freaking Gibson commercial with Mark from Norm's.

Gibson should pay you all to redo their advertising campaign. This story makes me want to buy a Gibson, not a PSA on how Gibson should sue every other guitar maker

We need more stories in the guitar sales world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Well it so happens that I also own a Patrick Amato owned guitar (that came to me through Joe D.). Mine is a D'Angelico New Yorker replica built by JP Moats (of Heritage Guitars, formerly one of Gibson's top archtop builders in the 60's) and Ron DeMarino (a friend of John D'Angelico and John Lennon's personal luthier). Here she is: A Wesmo with a long forum history-dangelico-ii-new-yorker-jpg
    Marc, I have only seen this one in photos, not up close yet. What a gorgeous guitar! One day would be amazing if everybody with Pat Amato guitars met up with the guitars and recorded live jams

User Info Menu

Speaking of D'angelico's--out of curiousity, what was the model that was on the cover of all of Mel Bey's Guitar Method books?

User Info Menu

That was a New Yorker.

Later on, the Mel Bay series of books was updated and Mel's D'Aquisto New Yorker was used instead.

They were both terrific instruments.

My initial desire to own an archtop guitar was fueled by the fact that my first instructor played a D'Angelico and the book he had me working from (the blue, first level Mel Bay book) was adorned with a D'Angelico New Yorker on its cover. I quickly forgot about George Harrison's Gretsch and John Lennon's Rickenbacker.

User Info Menu

My Mel Bay books were Blue
    A Wesmo with a long forum history-b2fec0f7-62ee-4774-b96e-12130faae8ac-jpeg
    GreenA Wesmo with a long forum history-9beee761-ee99-40b7-9b94-522ff8936427-jpeg

And Red
    A Wesmo with a long forum history-a08717be-aed7-4b43-8f7f-8045a9ec0040-jpeg

But my favorite was the chord book
    A Wesmo with a long forum history-0444ac70-c490-4c15-9d2e-a27696f6bcfb-png

User Info Menu

I'm pleased I had a shot at many of Patrick's guitars and am able to hold onto them... In fact I recognize three I own in this photo. Of Course I have the Unitys and the Ronaldo 62 strat replicas which are very nice

Big

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe

User Info Menu

That is seriously good playing. I about fell out of my chair, and it's a pretty tall chair... just killer playing. I love every phrase. I love the attitude. Wonderful. And the musicians seem to be having the most fun you have with your clothes on.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Same books I used. "Six Five Jive."

GT