The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Assuming equal inset for bass and treble, the attached (zipped) spreadsheet should provide the centres for equal string spacing with any given set of strings.

Arthur
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes 1/8" clear space from the outside edge of each e string at the nut.
    When slotting a new nut I first establish the location of the two E strings. I start by marking the location of the two E strings so that there is a distance of 1/8" between the outside edge of the string and the edge of the fingerboard at the nut. I then use gauged slotting files that match the dia. of the string to cut the notch. I cut the notch depth to about 2/3 of the string dia. for the wound strings and the notches are cut as deep as the full string dia. for the plain strings. After the E strings are set I measure the space left between the inside edge of each string. From this space I subtract the total width/dia. of the four remaining strings and divide the remaining space by five and that will be the amount of space left between each of the strings. I use a fine line mechanical pencil to mark the location of the center of each notch that is needed. I then use the properly gauged files to cut the remaining notches.

User Info Menu

Matt's description is good(you can also, assuming you have another guitar, on which you like the string spacing, use it as a template). The spacing at the nut can somewhat depend on how the fret ends have been filed: if they are sharply(overly) beveled, that can limit a wider spacing. If this is your first attempt, probably a good idea to make one or two practice runs, on sacrificial blanks.