The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 86

User Info Menu

Holy cra# Jack, that's a terrible grounding solution. Bound to fail.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    True replicas would be these, I guess

Tube-Tone Amplifiers

Or these, althoug he makes a jazz custom I believe he'll do right by specs

Vintage Sound Amps
    I don't see any replies to the above recommendation (Vintage Sound Amps). VS advertises high quality Fender blackface clones, attempting to replicate their tone.
    They offer a 35 watt "Vintage 35" in both combo (2x10) and head configuration, using only top shelf components. The cost is around $2k.

Sure seems like less risk than buying vintage.

VINTAGE 35 (Vibrolux Style 2x10) – Vintage Sound Amps

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I don't see any replies to the above recommendation (Vintage Sound Amps). VS advertises high quality Fender blackface clones, attempting to replicate their tone.
    They offer a 35 watt "Vintage 35" in both combo (2x10) and head configuration, using only top shelf components. The cost is around $2k.

Sure seems like less risk than buying vintage.

VINTAGE 35 (Vibrolux Style 2x10) – Vintage Sound Amps
    Someone replied on another forum that they had 1 blackface and 1 silverface fender as well as a vintage sound amp and that the vintage sound amp didn't really nail the fender sound

User Info Menu

I used to have a Vibrolux Reverb that I liked a lot, but it was often too loud and too noisy. The Gries 35 really satisfied my desire for that sound. Dead quiet and a very usable master volume. I'm not real technical, so I can't comment on what Dave Gries did to the circuit. The challenge for me was finding the right speaker.

I do hear you about the Fender sound. I have a '68 Twin Reverb and every time I turn it on that sound is right there; I can hear the metal of the strings coming through. I'm not about to lug that thing around, though.

User Info Menu

I had a Showman and a Twin Reverb that were permanent house amps...unwilling to lug them.

User Info Menu

Now, the Bassman amps are in the same category

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes
    I used to have a Vibrolux Reverb that I liked a lot, but it was often too loud and too noisy. The Gries 35 really satisfied my desire for that sound. Dead quiet and a very usable master volume. I'm not real technical, so I can't comment on what Dave Gries did to the circuit. The challenge for me was finding the right speaker.

I do hear you about the Fender sound. I have a '68 Twin Reverb and every time I turn it on that sound is right there; I can hear the metal of the strings coming through. I'm not about to lug that thing around, though.
    Which speaker did you end up with?

User Info Menu

Weber 12F150, but only after significant break in.

anyone try the pure 64? thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the bandmaster only puts about 400v on the plates of the 6L6 tubes and has a tiny OT so it's pretty low headroom. The fargens are based on that design. It's been a while since I've had a bandmaster reverb but my gut tells me I want something a little closer to the classic AB763 design. For example, a pro reverb that I can upgrade the OT with. And I really think the tube reverb is an essential part of the fender circuit design so that's why I definitely want a head with reverb.
    The early silverface Pro Reverbs were the same circuit as the blackface, from what I have read on the interwebs, but sell for a lot less. My understanding is that many silverface amps can be readily blackfaced. Might be an option.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Cunamara.

I had an early silverface Pro Reverb years ago. Just about the best Fender amp I ever had.

the pro has the same tiny OT as the bandmaster but has the higher voltages of a twin. If you put bigger iron in it, it's a very stout amp with tons of headroom. My latest thing is to buy a rebuilt vibroverb or vibrolux. allesandro will hand-wire a reissue fender. I'm thinking of buying a reissue '68 vibrolux and having him convert it to hand-wired blackface spec with a 12" baffle. Apparently the reissue vibrolux only weighs 41lbs with 2 10" speakers so with a single 12" neodymium speaker it should be around 36-38lbs

by the way, here's a good article on the differences between the real and reissue (PCB) amps. It's not just the PCBs that are different. I think Fuchs and Glaswerks and Mesa have proven that you can get great tone with PCBs but in fender's case there are other changes that make a difference.

Also, if you've ever had to replace a component on these note how difficult it is because you have to remove the board and in some cases, the pots and jacks as well...

Ask Amp Man: Upgrading a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb | Premier Guitar

User Info Menu

Amen on board level repair on the Fender pcbs. It's computer work.

User Info Menu

isn't that a 20w 6v6 amp?
    Yes, you're probably correct. I must admit that I'm somewhat confused on the tubes as mine has 2 6l6's and I believe 20w (as quoted on the Victoria Amps website) is low. The 2x12" Victorilux is said to also have 2 6l6's and be 45w.

My intended point, though, was that Mark Baier of Victoria Amps knows his Fender amps (he's got several different models out based on tweed, blackface and silverface designs) and can build you what you need if he doesn't already offer one in the configuration you're looking for

i think i'm going to order the marsh vibrolux reverb clone.

User Info Menu

anyone try the pure 64? thoughts?
    I have a Mean Streets Classic head/cab. 2 x 6v6, so probably not what you need. Excellent amp though. A worthy clean sound, which is why I looked for one for years.
    MD

User Info Menu

Stew Mac has a line of amp kits using new parts but old tech.

Half the price and not that difficult.

Amplifier Kits | stewmac.com

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    I have a Mean Streets Classic head/cab. 2 x 6v6, so probably not what you need. Excellent amp though. A worthy clean sound, which is why I looked for one for years.
    MD
    they make a 50w 6L6 version

User Info Menu

the pro has the same tiny OT as the bandmaster but has the higher voltages of a twin. If you put bigger iron in it, it's a very stout amp with tons of headroom.
    Use a SS rectifier a la Twin and the clean headroom improves because there's less sag, even with the stock OT.

User Info Menu

the pro has the same tiny OT as the bandmaster but has the higher voltages of a twin. If you put bigger iron in it, it's a very stout amp with tons of headroom. My latest thing is to buy a rebuilt vibroverb or vibrolux. allesandro will hand-wire a reissue fender. I'm thinking of buying a reissue '68 vibrolux and having him convert it to hand-wired blackface spec with a 12" baffle. Apparently the reissue vibrolux only weighs 41lbs with 2 10" speakers so with a single 12" neodymium speaker it should be around 36-38lbs
    The non-reverb Bandmaster has output stage voltages within 20V of a Twin Reverb. It also has a SS rectifier. The Vibrato channel is weak, but the Normal channel has some punch. I have a ‘68 drip edge waiting for me to recap it.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-25-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    The non-reverb Bandmaster has output stage voltages within 20V of a Twin Reverb. It also has a SS rectifier. The Vibrato channel is weak, but the Normal channel has some punch. I have a ‘68 drip edge waiting for me to recap it.
    for me, reverb is such an integral part of the fender sound I need the reverb to be there. I hate being dependent on a pedal for that basic function

User Info Menu

Buy a Fender BF reissue and stick a vintage speaker in it, maybe some NOS tubes. It will sound very "Fenderish", especially in the mix.

User Info Menu

Who makes a true 35w blackface fender reverb amp clone in a 1x12 form factor or head? I've tried allen, fargen, morgan and several others which have "improved" upon the fender sound but TBH, none of them have an authentic fender sound. I have a fargen and morgan and love them both but yesterday, I stopped at guitar center and briefly played through a twin reissue and it just blew the morgan and fargen away in terms of pure, fender goodness. I don't want to deal with PC board amps so I won't buy a reissue fender but who is making a REAL fender amp clone? The ones that I know about are vintage sound, headstrong, victoria. Most of the others like carr, tone king, fargen, allen, heritage made "improvements" that take away from the fender sound and I really just like the fender sound.
    Hi Jack!

Earlier I mentioned Music Man amps as good substitutes but I saw you didn’t like them. For a while ago I recommended Blackstar Studio 10 6L6 on another thread. 1x12" Celestion speaker, 10 watts (unfortunately not 35 watts), reverb and effects loop. Here in Europe it costs generally between 600-700 €.

User Info Menu