Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Using a ghost equipped Halfling into an Axon mk100. I try to just use it as a color to blend with the straight guitar sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very difficult to find anything tasteless in Abercrombie's oeuvre.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut View Post
    Using a ghost equipped Halfling into an Axon mk100. I try to just use it as a color to blend with the straight guitar sound.
    I think you would sound good playing a wooden plank with strings nailed on it. Great sound that would be fine on its own.

That said, I think the synth provides some nice color.

I used to love the idea of a guitar synth, but over time I find it less interesting than it was 30+ years ago. I like what Abercrombie, Metheny, Morse, Fripp, Summers and Holdsworth did with it back in the day, but even they have often moved away from the heavily processed sounds as time has marched on.

I have always had an interest in synths and have a couple of synth programs (including an Arturia Moog emulation) on the computer to play a guitar or keys into, I just find it takes so much effort to program and tweek that I never actually getting around to make real music with it. But kudoes to you for finding a way to make it work.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz View Post
    Very difficult to find anything tasteless in Abercrombie's oeuvre.
    . He was a rare bird!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut View Post
    . He was a rare bird!!
    As are you, tasty as can be. I use a similar sound with my Godin Multiac Nylon 7-string through the Roland GR-55, it's especially nice playing ballads behind a singer. I do dial up some cheese for the riff-raff: steel drums, some flute/string pads, and even a tremolo Telecaster patch that sounds excellent. If I'm working with a group that has a pianist, I generally play string lines and pads, since those 10-fingered folk don't often leave any room for real notes!

As for Crumbles, we worked together occasionally in the early days when he was still in Boston, often tossing a coin for which of us would play bass and which guitar, but we both really liked playing either with each other. Did a fair amount of general business work and occasional jazz gigs, he was a wonderful person and player.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I think you would sound good playing a wooden plank with strings nailed on it. Great sound that would be fine on its own.
    make it work.
    Thanks Jeff, I rarely play this synth, while it’s a great guitar as just a guitar, I’ve got several others that are really more enjoyable to play. But every now and then the digitals come out to play

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz View Post

As for Crumbles, we worked together occasionally in the early days when he was still in Boston, often tossing a coin for which of us would play bass and which guitar, but we both really liked playing either with each other. Did a fair amount of general business work and occasional jazz gigs, he was a wonderful person and player.
    man, you just have some stories!!

User Info Menu

impossible..abandon ship

just like they all eventually did.. (at great cost...poor holdsworth!) ...olde synclaviers and synth-axes...sad memories...

(and im not anti tech)

get a couple of strymon time effects pedals and sound way better...and more cutting edge

no offense against your playing...which you know i always respect!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Nice playing and sound. When you posted "synth" in your title my mind raced back to the 80s and all that stuff played on synth guitars like the Roland G707.

User Info Menu

I usually like Rosenwinkels "synth" tones. I think he uses a spiderweb of pedals to achieve them, but that might have changed.
    An exmample:

(starting at about 2:45 if you want to avoid the intro)

User Info Menu

When I grow up I'm gonna be the King of Tasteless Cheesy Drek on guitar (am already well on my way.)

As a purist of the form, however, I will not stoop to using a synth.

Fame & Fortune, here I come!

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful Halfling with nice fretboard inlays, Mark. It appears to be dark bluish-green? It is not one of the last few RGC Halflings, is it? Did you make a hole in the top for the Graphtec Ghost pickup?

Very nice playing as well. I wish I could see a photo of it.

PS I bought a 2014 Halfling Cedar-Wenge from a doctor in San Diego who had no use for it. It is great guitar that came in a Reunion Blues Continental gigbag. I had no idea RGC switched to RB gigbags instead of using Cedar Creek cases and had a misunderstanding with the good doctor that was due to my mistake.

Ribbecke Guitar - nice liquid look flows from the neck into the body | Facebook .
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-21-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)