The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Just purchased this 2005 gibson es335 1963 reissue, but was just wandering how its possible it has the same pearl inlays in the neck as ex. les Paul etc.
    The serial no in the head matches the model no inside, and its a genuine Gibson, but i have never seen those type of pearl inlays in a 335. anybody who knows how that is possible.

2005 Gibson ES-335 1963 Reissue-img_2265-jpg

cheers

Borelli
    Last edited by borelli; 06-17-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: xtra words needed

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have never seen Les Paul-style trapezoid inlays on a Gibson ES semi-acoustic guitar, other than the Gibson ES Les Paul...which the pictured guitar above isn't.

The guitar looks nice, though, and I don't doubt that it is a Gibson.

User Info Menu

I have not seen a trans black finish.

Hi Gary..
    its not trans black finish. its faded walnut brown.. its just my Iphone flash that makes it look black,,the actual colour is this :-) 2005 Gibson ES-335 1963 Reissue-img_2260-jpg

User Info Menu

Inlays are similar to the ones in my SG

User Info Menu

Ah, walnut, that’s more like it. I like those inlays. I wonder if the white rings are original?

User Info Menu

Congratulations. A good 335 is a thing of beauty. I've never seen that combination of finish, inlays and pickup rings. There's no telling what kind of limited editions or one-offs Gibson have put out over the years.
    I suppose that if you have questions regarding the guitar, you could contact Gibson with the serial number.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I have never seen Les Paul-style trapezoid inlays on a Gibson ES semi-acoustic guitar, other than the Gibson ES Les Paul...which the pictured guitar above isn't.

The guitar looks nice, though, and I don't doubt that it is a Gibson.

There was a rather short-lived model in the early eighties, the ES 369, though:

Redirect Notice

User Info Menu

Hmm? I just looked up the ES-369. Interesting. The OP's guitar has the wrong headstock for a 369, however...that is, his guitar has the correct headstock for a 335.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Hmm? I just looked up the ES-369. Interesting. The OP's guitar has the wrong headstock for a 369, however...that is, his guitar has the correct headstock for a 335.
    Just wanted to point out that there was an ES model with trapezoid inlays....

User Info Menu

That's how they made the 63s. Vintage Original Spec correct. Yours is very nice!

Mine is similar.

And Eric is cool with it....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dickbanks
    That's how they made the 63s. Vintage Original Spec correct. Yours is very nice!

Mine is similar.

And Eric is cool with it....

Original spec had block inlays.

User Info Menu

I haven't paid much attention the past 10 years of Gibson but I have to admit I've never ever seen that combination (ES-3XX and trapezoid inlays). I kinda like the look but its not vintage 335 spec (if you care about that sorta thing). As mentioned, its seems pretty much to be a 369 with a different headstock. . .interesting.