The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

My vote goes to a Quilter head with the BlockDock 10" cab. The tilt function in the cab makes you wonder why it isn't a standard feature in all guitar cabinets. I use the 50W Quilter 101 Reverb amp - more than loud enough for my needs. Weighs 16 lbs and does the blackface sound, but with adjustable mids. I believe guys like Bruce Forman and Tim Lerch are gigging with them.

The guys at Quilter are actually announcing a 100/200W version of the Reverb head tomorrow(!). Hoping for an XLR out on that one

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I pretty much made up my mind on purchasing the Mambo 10. Listening to videos available I liked it's tone best. And I think that the wedge design is a great idea – I use the tilt legs in my fender all the time. And with 250 (+ 250 watts with an additional cab) rating I'll probably never run out of headroom. And it's small, light and cute.

I think I prefer a combo for convenience. Ease of use ("plug and play") is also important to me – I'd rather want an amp with one good tone than one with 20 so-so sounds.

On the quilter (the only combos available here are the mach 2) the sheer amount of knobs intimidate me.

User Info Menu

FYI this announcement just appeared today on the Lark Street website (I have not seen it elsewhere):

"The updated version of The Bud, featuring Bluetooth and a lower weight Class D power stage, will begin shipping in July, at $1299, thus we are having a sale ..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    That has been in a trio (bass, drums, guitar) very small gig, no PA – like 15 years ago. The room was also noisy so we had to get over people talking to hear ourselves. We were really not a "loud band", but not shy either. The AER did fine in the first set (and I loved the tone with my eastman archtop), drummer had a beer in the break and played just a bit louder. The limiter in the AER kicked in and the tone was a compressed mess. It was loud enough, but the feel and articulation was gone. I just didn't wanna get stuck in a situation like this – just like a car with a weak motor just barely manages to go up a hill. I want the headroom if I need it even if I probably never have to use it.
    After 3-4 gigs like that I sold it and got a polytone with a 12 inch speaker– that could handle everything. Later in the studio I found out that I liked our bass player's little fender blues jr. even more. It did hold up well with only 15 watts – I think that I experienced some light overdrive only once in years of use. I used the bass player's amp for years until I got my own.

Maybe speaker size is more important than watts? I contacted Jon Shaw of Mambo and he seems to be a pleasure to deal with. I think I get his 10 inch combo and see how that works on it's own.
    Maybe it could be cheaper to get a new drummer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Maybe it could be cheaper to get a new drummer?

If I had a penny for every time I heard that ...

No seriously, you don't want to be stuck in a situation when you're amp's headroom is just about enough – until it isn't. It's good to have a little reserve.

User Info Menu

Award Session BluesBaby 45.

Doesn't get more fender and tubey than that. I have the 22, but when the drummer gets louder it will have some hair on the tone (which sounds very Grant Green btw ;-), so for more clean headroom the 45 should be better.

Award-Session website, BluesBaby 22, BluesBaby 45, Guitar Amp, Session

Mine has a neo-speaker and DIY pine-cabinet and weighs under 10 kgs. I take it in the bus, tram and even on my bike. It's my urban gig amp!

Here it is in live action (miced up for the PA, but no monitoring):

I also found an old (and not very well played, oh well....) recording of the BluesBaby 22 in action with my ES-333 and fairly loud drums:

You could even buy the chassis only and fit it into your Blues Jr cabinet, preferably with a NEO-speaker........
    Last edited by Little Jay; 06-21-2019 at 07:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikusan
    The guys at Quilter are actually announcing a 100/200W version of the Reverb head tomorrow(!). Hoping for an XLR out on that one
    Looks like you get your wish!

Tone Block 202 Quilter Labs

Gigable public transportation suited size amp-quilter-200series-jpg