The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'll probably be getting one of these pretty soon (don't have the patience to wait for an older 90s one to come up here), and I was wondering if there are popular speaker swaps that would help the amp get a little more headroom, for gigging with a blues and an organ trio band. Basically I won't be using distorted sounds, but more of cleanish, and blues breakup sounds.

Kind of looking for a dirtier Princeton reverb version, or a small blues deluxe that I can actually carry to gigs So, whoever gigs with a pro Junior, any speaker preferences?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would probably go Eminence Cannabis Rex 10 if you’re going for a warm, clean tone. Otherwise, I might suggest a Weber 10F125 which should be louder with a more aggressive sound and more pronounced attack.

User Info Menu

I gig with a Pro Junior III + a reverb pedal. I am perfectly happy with the stock speaker, but I did swap out the V1 tube for a nice NOS 5751. I also removed the cage around the tubes so I could change tubes easily if needed. I think it sounds great. I suspect how you get along with the Pro Jr depends a lot on how loud you want to play and your expectation of tone control.

A friend of mine recently told me his buddy was selling his Pro Jr for $200 !!!! My only response was, yeah . . . I'd buy it in a minute, but I already have one !!!!

User Info Menu

I had a very early Pro Jr from the first year of production. It came with the same 10" blue frame Fender Eminence speaker that the '59 Bass man Reissue came with. Awesome speaker.

That was my favorite amp for years. If I had another Pro Jr, I would look around for a good second hand blue frame Fender Eminence.

User Info Menu

I put a Eminence Cannabis Rex in my Blues JR that I had modded with Bill mods, it sounds awesome.

Thank you for all the answers. I've heard the cannabis Rex on a couple of amps, if the amp was to play jazz i would consider it, but maybe it is too dark for blues, I'd prefer a more biting sound. People have been praising the original speaker, but it's difficult to find one. Alas this is the reason the older pro juniors are so sought after I think. I'll probably see how the stock speaker fares and go from there.

I have a Weber in my Princeton and like it a lot..

User Info Menu

One other thing about the Pro Junior.

The cabinet is small so some speakers may be bumping up against the tubes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I had a very early Pro Jr from the first year of production. It came with the same 10" blue frame Fender Eminence speaker that the '59 Bass man Reissue came with. Awesome speaker.

That was my favorite amp for years. If I had another Pro Jr, I would look around for a good second hand blue frame Fender Eminence.
    Same here: Bassman RI and Pro Jr. first year - those speakers are way better than the reputation they usually get.

User Info Menu

12F150H

Hemp cone, H dust cap, 50 watts, light dope. I have one in my Superchamp and am very happy with it. C.J. at Weber helped me decide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    12F150H

Hemp cone, H dust cap, 50 watts, light dope. I have one in my Superchamp and am very happy with it. C.J. at Weber helped me decide.
    Except this would need to be the 10” version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Except this would need to be the 10” version.
    Yeah, I linked the wrong one. My bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I gig with a Pro Junior III + a reverb pedal. I am perfectly happy with the stock speaker, but I did swap out the V1 tube for a nice NOS 5751. I also removed the cage around the tubes so I could change tubes easily if needed. I think it sounds great. I suspect how you get along with the Pro Jr depends a lot on how loud you want to play and your expectation of tone control.

A friend of mine recently told me his buddy was selling his Pro Jr for $200 !!!! My only response was, yeah . . . I'd buy it in a minute, but I already have one !!!!
    I'm interested!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I'm interested!!!
    Cool, but I think he wants to sell local if possible.

Well, i did get to finally order one today, the new IV tweed, played it at the store and really liked it. I think the one i had i bought new around 1997, was a black one, and i liked the new one better. Moving away from heavy amps, it's going to supplement my princeton reverb perfectly!

I also tried the 57 custom deluxe, which was on a different level. But at 1900 euros new in europe it makes no sense, you are at vintage tweed deluxe money around that price. Even the tweed deluxe kits, if you don't build them yourself, they cost around 1500... A friend has the TAD 5e3 kit by they way, and it sounds like the fender above. Didn't get a chance to compare them with a vintage one though...

User Info Menu

If you can find one, get the 30-watt, blue-frame, alnico magnet, Eminence/Fender 10" speaker that Fender originally put in the Pro Junior.
    Which speaker would you put in a tweed Fender Pro Junior VI?-blue-alnico-fender-eminence-10-jpg

Here's the little bugger, still trying to get the feel with pedals etc... Although its probably going to be guitar straight in.. or with an EQ pedal or something..

Which speaker would you put in a tweed Fender Pro Junior VI?-img_20190921_185435-jpg

And here are some sounds with it, haven't used it for jazz yet though..

Last edited by Alter; 10-08-2019 at 05:51 PM.