The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

If you are a fly fisherman, you probably already have a bunch of good boxes that work well for storing picks. I have a bunch.

Go to a sporting goods store and look around. You will find that there are LOTS of choices of small containers for this sort of thing--including the specimen cups mentioned above.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Levi Strauss was a genius because he knew that pocket watches would one day be supplanted by wrist watches and at that time all gentlemen would inevitably realize that they could now carry their guitar picks in the same pocket they had once used for time pieces.
    I've certainly done that! (I have some shorts that have a similar pocket.)

User Info Menu

I use two kinds of picks: jazz (small and thick) and rock (bigger and thick).

One at the time is on the guitar (see pics) and the rest are in the drawer in my study.

Guitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-36b27bbe-cbc7-438f-a224-4cae1962e6b2-jpgGuitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-dd3e6d49-33e5-4ba5-8013-50a53f0cbc5c-jpg

On amazon, you can find a jewelers display case for rings that works perfectly for this.
    I’ve got one with 100 slots.

User Info Menu

A gift from my daughter...

Guitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-picks-jpg

User Info Menu

I have a bunch of empty film canisters that I saved from back in the day because they were so handy for storing little things. You can still get them online for cheap.

Two canisters are in my gig bag. One (with a stripe of red electrical tape around it so I can tell it apart from the other one quickly) is filled with the Dunlop 205s I use most often. The other has an assortment of other picks that I use less often: Fender heavy and a few other "little jazz teardrop" picks.

I would have no use for a multi-compartment case, as I settled on pretty much just two or three kinds of picks years ago. But for those who play different instruments and different styles, I could see wanting something like that. For example, I never use finger picks or thumb picks, but the banjo players in the crowd might need a few compartments just for those, alongside the various kinds of guitar picks they might use.

SJ

User Info Menu

i've used emptied tins for decades..(french bon bons, dutch pipe tobacco, etc)....filled one up, started another

my next is

cheers

User Info Menu

To expand on my earlier post, here's what I use:

Guitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-picks_01-jpg

The divider box holds spares of the picks I play with (D'Andrea Classic, D'Andrea Pro Plec, Clayton Black Acetal) plus a bunch of others that I've acquired over the years. The round stone container dresses up the picks I keep in my living room and the small plastic box is from my gig bag. I have a few more of them scattered around the house. With my big band I mostly use the Classic and Acetal picks. I always keep a couple of each out during gigs, including an Acetal with Monster Grip, usually on the desk of my music stand or sometimes in my shirt pocket.

I also store one here:

Guitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-10-dsc_4807-jpg

Danny W.

User Info Menu

You guys don't have very many picks, do you? I'm thinking more like...

Guitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-tackle-box-jpg

User Info Menu

I like Rubbermaid Easy-Find Lid containers. Small ones, wider than they are tall. The lids clicks onto the bottoms of the containers when they're in use, and therefore are difficult to knock over. One container for one kind of pick.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    That's a nice looking box. It looks better than my plastic one but I prefer mine for two reasons: it's see-through and there are dividers, so all one's Stubbies can go here, Jazz IIIs right there, thumbpicks here, and Fender Mediums there...

User Info Menu

I use the plastic outer packs that strings come in, or used to come in.
    I keep the different breeds/gauges etc each in their own pack.
    What's in each pack is pretty obvious, to me at least....or if they're a different gauge or nicer batch
    I write that on with a sharpie.

I'm a pick freak and have a whole drawer in my desk with picks and strings all in
    those plastic envelopes ....and the cool thing is that they can be stored in rows.

If only the rest of my life was so orderly.

User Info Menu

Y'all got too many pics...I don't have the box I posted a link to, I'm trying to justify buying it. I may have to buy a lot more picks first. I only ever the the loose ones in the pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar pick storage---what do you recommend?-picks-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Y'all got too many pics...I don't have the box I posted a link to, I'm trying to justify buying it. I may have to buy a lot more picks first. I only ever the the loose ones in the pic...
    I have something that fits on a keychain that will hold 2-3 picks (depending on their thickness). That's good for going to jam with a friend or taking to a gig: always a pick and an extra w/in reach. But at home, by my music stand, I want more options that don't mean I have to stop playing and start looking ("Where did I put those Pro Plecs?") Also, I tend to lose picks ON my music stand. (I put one down to get a sip of water, say, and then I don't know where it went. Later I find it between pages of a music book, or on the floor...)

User Info Menu

Small ceramic bowl crafted by a former student almost 20 years ago.

User Info Menu

Any fly fisherman who has opened one of those boxes and accidentally dumped $250 worth of flies into fast moving water knows ...

you want a box where each compartment has its own lid.