The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I was fortunate to come across a Blue Chip TAD50 a little while ago. I've been playing with it lately and really enjoy it, but I wanted to do some sound comparisons with the pick that I normally use (Dunlop 205) and a regular old plastic tortilla chip. The comparison is for myself as much as it is anyone else who may be interested in trying a Blue Chip.

Keep in mind as you're listening that the difference in tone is very subtle and I recommend that you use headphones. It'll be more obvious in some playing samples than others. Also keep in mind that a lot of the benefit that comes with playing with a Blue Chip or other handmade pick is the feel you're getting from it. In general, it seems like the Blue Chip slides off the strings nicely and doesn't move around in my hand as much as other picks do.

My final thoughts? It's nice. I'm not sure I have the money to be going through these as often as I lose other picks, but I've enjoyed keeping it on my desk and playing with it from time to time in my studio. It feels nice on the strings and I think if it brings you joy to play with, it's worth the money... just don't lose it

Hope someone finds my experience helpful.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A friend of mine gave me a Blue Chip Pick.

I love the thing.

I misplaced it, became alarmed, but recovered it.

Called my friend and told him I was going to buy a spare (I lose stuff) and did he want me to get any new Blue Chips for him?
    He told me "no" 'cause he's found something he likes better for mandolin, which he plays almost exclusively now.
    He sent me his 'other' Blue Chip instead. We're old men now, and we necessarily spend $ more carefully these days.

User Info Menu

I like the Blue Chip a tiny bit more on the archtop, the Dunlop on the others.

User Info Menu

I keep telling you guys, the way to accumulate Blue Chip picks economically is to put them on your Hanukkah or XMas wish list every year. For some reason, people seem to love giving these things as gifts! I've got 10 Blue chip picks - a lifetime supply, really - but I only bought 3 of them myself!
    That  Guitar Pick (Blue Chip) - A Comparison-bc-picks-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm glad I tried a Blue Chip and thought it was nothing special. I lose picks waaay to easily.

User Info Menu

I’ve tried many guitar picks over the years and settled on two - ProPlec teardrop for archtops and Blue Chip Jazz 60 for solids and semi hollows. For me the BC cost is worth it...

From my personal perspective, I would have a much more difficult time justifying the purchase of a $10,000 archtop.

But to each his/her own

User Info Menu

Just because something is expensive -- or not, for that matter -- does not equate to it being good or bad, nor does it mean the buyer is an idiot. There are people here who play and enjoy $300 Squire guitars, and some who have $12K Marchione's. If you think one person is better or worse based on such a purchase, then maybe your label should be directed inward.

If you've tried and not liked the Blue Chip pick, then fine.

User Info Menu

The cost of a Blue Chip pick isn't much more than the cost of a set of TI strings, and people think nothing of buying those monthly, or at least fairly often. Like Tom, I have some Blue Chips that I received as gifts, and a couple that I bought. I haven't lost one yet. I keep them in a chip pouch in my pocket, and I keep track of them. I like them. Others are free to buy whatever picks, strings, guitars, pedals, amps, or whatever else, that they like. I could call someone a schmuck for overpaying for a Gibson, but I won't. It's their money.

User Info Menu

I have a BC Jazz 80. I got the thick one because, I figured I can sand it thinner if I want to (way easier than going the other way ).
    I didn't like it's bevel, it was too bright. I put a rounder bevel and re-polished it. It's OK. To me it's like pro-plecks but a little brighter. I prefer pro-plecs more for the most part. If I could try a bunch BC picks in different shapes and thicknesses, I'm sure I could find one I like just as much as pro-plecs or more. But for 35 a piece, that's not gonna happen.

User Info Menu

The smoothness of BC can be achieved with any pick with some elbow grease. In the past I polished Dunlop jazztone picks with extra fine wet sandpaper and car polish compound to the level of smoothness of BC picks (even smoother). I don't like to tone the rough surface of jazztones impart on the guitar.

User Info Menu

I didn't really detect much of a difference sound wise... Perhaps a slightly smoother onset.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried a BC pick. May someday, who knows? But the guy making this video seems like a really nice guy and a good player. I appreciate him taking the time to give this demonstration.

User Info Menu

Oh here's a comparison!

$35 dollars... more than
    my first acoustic guitar,
    my first electric guitar,
    my first guitar amplifier.

User Info Menu

I mean, my BC was $50--so kill me

You can play with cheaper picks, and get a great sound--definitely. Then again, you can play with cheaper guitars and get a great sound--yet we don't criticize the countless posts about L5's on JGF. A good player can get a better sound out of--dare I say, an Asian guitar--than a not great player with a top of the line Bennedetto (ugh, I still want to play a Bennedetto)

I love playing with my BC Jazz 80. It feels great on the strings, it sound terrific acoustically, and it articulates better than what I tried before (including stone, don't get fooled into buying a stone pick--no dynamic articulation)

So I totally get wanting to buy cheap to get a great sound. But let's not say that and turn around and ogle at a Gibson, or a Guild, or a Benne, or whatever. I would own those guitars as well (especially an Artist Award), but I'd play them with my BC Jazz 80.

So kill me.

And for the record, I hate the sound of TI's--even the Bebops. Tried them all, they all sounded really dead to my ears. Why would I shell out that much money for strings that sound dead? See how that sounds? So I'm fine with shelling out $50 for a pick I've had for two years and it still sounds just as good as the day it arrived in the mail.

User Info Menu

I haven't purchased these picks for the primary reason that I lose picks to frequently. My favorite is the 3.0 MM Dunlop Primetone. I can afford to misplace those within reason. That replaced my pick of choice which for years was the Dunlop dark purple small stubby which in turn replaced my small Fender Heavy pick. I took lessons from Bob Conti in the 70's and he used a ridiculously thin blue nylon pick. So Horses For Courses. Now that I don't use the Stubby I find them all over the house. IMO front loading washers are superior to top loaders in recovering picks.

Also, I don't now why some members on this forum resort to denigrating a fellow forum member who posted about his gear observations but then I remembered I had the individual previously on ignore. So back to the dust bin.

User Info Menu

You might be surprised at how the possibility of losing $35 can focus the mind. I've lost a lot of picks over the years, but the closest I've come to losing one of my Blue Chips is when I put one in the wrong pocket. If the pick only cost a dime, I didn't give it much thought. Up the ante, and the thought increases.

User Info Menu

McJazzer is a great player, I enjoy his videos, and he sounds like a cool guy from the few correspondences I've had with him.

Notice how he just made observations about the pick. He didn't say anything about people spending $35 on a pick. He just said it wouldn't make sense to buy it again himself, as he loses picks often. No problem.

But the amount of times I've seen people say negative things about BlueChips on the internet because they are more expensive--it's getting old. Then calling out people who actually like the BC's, why? It's asinine. My mother is legit Israeli by the way. I have something to say in Hebrew, but I don't want to offend anyone who speaks Hebrew.

Sorry if I, in any way, sullied your thread McJazzer.

User Info Menu

There's no such thing as "the best pick" or "best strings" or even the "best guitar" that are true in general.

That said, I'm stuck with Blue Chip picks because they really sound better (perhaps nominally to others, but noticeably to me ), and feel massively better, at least on the guitars I play most often.

I don't want to like it better, I really don't.

But it's meant that I've had to fundamentally change my relationship to picks as objects - i.e. don't loose them.
    Now instead of being quite as cavalier as I had been, I have a little clear, plastic hinged box (it's approximately 2"x3"x1/2"), that keeps 3-4 blue chip TD40's, a couple Dunlop primetone 1mm sculpted as emergency backups, a set of ear plugs, and a Tile - so that I can find that damn thing if I misplace it.

I used to use little plastic baggies, but those would break after a couple weeks. I tried opaque boxes, but I could never tell if I'd remembered to put the picks back without opening it.

But I also used to loose the damn pouch, and have to run around looking for it, so putting a tile in there really helped with that. And then I also used to have my earplugs on my keychain, which meant the valet guy had my earplugs when I needed them most, half the time!

Would it be easier to use some fungible Fender heavies or a Dunlop tortex, sure. Do I notice a difference? Yes. Do end up performing better because I feel comfortable? Definitely.

Does it work for everybody? No. Are you a schmuck for using one? No, assuming you actually play, and don't just merely horde gear.
    I'd like to think I'd fall into that non-schmuck category of someone who actually plays, since I've racked up 60k air miles playing guitar just last year, but I'll let you all judge that.

User Info Menu

Yup i really dig my blue chips, I use a Jazz 40 and 50..I dont loose my pics like some (knock on wood).

also, i know its tough, but i have never bought a Blue Chip pick new, always USED! save a couple bucks..

Ive gotten a couple from the Facebook Blue chip page, posting on there. Now i want one for Mandolin.

User Info Menu

Although I love my BC Jazz 80, those wooden pick boxes... not worth it. Problem is, the lid for the small box is a pain in the neck to open--not the best design.

I think I would have done the leather pouch, but I would probably lose that faster than a box.

User Info Menu

I find the Wegen Gypsy 3.5 is a great pick for a lot less than a BC.

User Info Menu

From what I remember, Howard Alden uses a Wegen--at least he did when he was living in NYC.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the defense and the great discussion.

I do enjoy the pick! But for that kind of money I think it'll stay on my desk for home use and hopefully my cat doesn't eat it

After hearing about the Dunlop Primetones I'm really interested in trying one. I went on their site and found the model I thought would work best (smooth, mini triangle) but the shipping is more than the picks are! Maybe I can find it from another dealer with reasonable shipping costs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by McJazzer

After hearing about the Dunlop Primetones I'm really interested in trying one. I went on their site and found the model I thought would work best (smooth, mini triangle) but the shipping is more than the picks are! Maybe I can find it from another dealer with reasonable shipping costs.
    Super clicky. Hated 'em.

The only picks I've found that are quiet and smooth like the blue chips are the Pro Plecs, and to a lesser extent but still good, the Golden Gates.

I've also tried the "Dawg" mandolin pick, which sounds great but was too big for me to be comfortable with.

But the Pro Plec is the reason I wasn't impressed with the Blue Chip I tried--to me it was the same sound at 35 times the price.

User Info Menu

I like the Prime Tones, with respect to free delivery - Amazon carries them.