The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

The only configuration I've ever seen for amps is with the components and voltages inside the chassis, and the tubes and switches outside it. If you don't remove the chassis, there is no danger, because there is no voltage. If something goes terribly wrong and there is dangerous voltage on the chassis, you're going to be in trouble as soon as you touch the power switch. If the amp is unplugged, there is no voltage on the chassis. There are lots of old wives' tales circulating about the dangers of amplifiers, but they are just exaggerations as long as the chassis is in place and the components aren't reachable. Tubes are made of glass, and glass is an excellent insulator. The only real danger is grabbing a tube while it's still hot and burning your fingers, but they don't really get hot enough to cause a blister.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Being its a newer Fender,you should be able to replace the tubes your self. Just go on to Fenders website and see what they recommend. Or go to a store like Tubes and More and see what they recommend.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I changed the power tubes to matched Mullards and left the inverter tube alone when I started to get mud break up at low volume. They seem to have a have a more linear sound than the stock tubes which I think are JJ’s, but Fender probably uses a few different brands in these amps based on $ savings, and, maybe, quality.

User Info Menu

I ended up getting a matched set of power tubes and preamp tube, all JJ’s. I had thought JJ’s were OEM based on stuff I had read on the Internet, but the originals were Groove Tubes.

I installed them and so far they sound the way they are supposed to. MUCH more power than I have had in the amp recently, even before the one power tube went belly up.

Despite many comments on the web about needing to bias this amp (even the day after you bring it home from the store), some amp authorities have stated that cathode bias tubes are basically self-biasing, as long as the power set is matched. I can’t verify if this is true or not.

Tube Replacement for Fender SuperChamp XD-89ea1727-cd04-4839-8db1-51c23ae27818-jpg

I don’t think I want to play around with the biasing myself, so I’ll ask some local guys who work on amps and my fiancee’s ex-son-in-law, who works for a guitar store in the area, for their opinion.

User Info Menu

Good deal. Good that you got a balanced pair. I don't think biasing is mandatory.
    If it sounds good you should be OK.

If the new tubes are getting really really hot, I'd take it to a shop for bias adjustment.
    Otherwise I'd just play it and forget it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I ended up getting a matched set of power tubes and preamp tube, all JJ’s. I had thought JJ’s were OEM based on stuff I had read on the Internet, but the originals were Groove Tubes.

I installed them and so far they sound the way they are supposed to. MUCH more power than I have had in the amp recently, even before the one power tube went belly up.

Despite many comments on the web about needing to bias this amp (even the day after you bring it home from the store), some amp authorities have stated that cathode bias tubes are basically self-biasing, as long as the power set is matched. I can’t verify if this is true or not.

Tube Replacement for Fender SuperChamp XD-89ea1727-cd04-4839-8db1-51c23ae27818-jpg

I don’t think I want to play around with the biasing myself, so I’ll ask some local guys who work on amps and my fiancee’s ex-son-in-law, who works for a guitar store in the area, for their opinion.
    Cathode biased and self biasing mean the same thing. But your amp is not cathode biased, so this is not relevant. That said, if the amp sounds good, it is good. Not worth the trouble and expense of having it serviced.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    My neighbor for many years was Ron Levy. He grew up playing B3 & Piano for BB (he was 16 at the time!). He said he was the "token white kid". He also plays on BB's Live at Cook County Jail Album. When we were neighbors his now ex-wife was a co-founder of Rounder Records (George Thorogood) When Rounder started their Black Top Blues Label Ron became the labels House Producer and moved down south. Our houses were less than 7 feet apart so I would listen to him play his B3 for hours and jam along from my house, when he wasn't on the road. One day, before they broke big, he had the original Fabulous Thunderbird's over for a jam session in the back yard! They started out on Rounder Records. Good times. I wish I was more under control back then. I was way too wild to have taken advantages of the many opportunities that were offered to me. At least I changed and I'm still here.
    Amazing story. I love Ron's stuff, especially the first "Wild Kingdom" album with Ronnie Earl, Jimmy Vaughan and other blues luminaries. Blues and Grooves too, from a bit later. Never got to see him live.

User Info Menu

On biasing fixed bias amps: It's only mandatory in hindsight, if you redplate the new tubes. Or, though not perilous in any way, end up with such cold bias on the new tubes that they sound dead.

A lot of times, you can get away with not checking bias, no problem. Sometimes you don't.

MD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

It's true that cathode biased amps are self biasing. But the Super Champ XD is not cathode biased, so this is not relevant. Bottom line, if you changed tubes and the problems went away, you're good to go. IMO, not worth the trouble and expense of having it serviced.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    It's true that cathode biased amps are self biasing. But the Super Champ XD is not cathode biased, so this is not relevant. Bottom line, if you changed tubes and the problems went away, you're good to go. IMO, not worth the trouble and expense of having it serviced.

John
    The video I mentioned said that it was cathode-biased. Further research suggests that apparently the Champ 600 and Vibrochamp are, but not the SCXD. Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments.