The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Does anyone here play an arch top with jumbo sized fret wire? Everyone online says "jazz players use standard frets and ride the strings as close to the fretboard as possible"

I don't! I actually love the refret that I did a year ago. I told John Carruthers to give me taller frets, as tall as I could go without compromising intonation. He put on, what another reputable luthier called "jumbo frets". I dunno if it's the thickest fret wire, but it's definitely thicker than what came on my Eastman AR803 originally.

I can dig in more and the notes seem to sustain more and sing out more. Just wondering if anyone else here uses bigger (taller?) than normal fret wire. I don't want to hear why I shouldn't play with this setup as I LOVE it! Just wanted to know if anyone else prefers a taller fret profile.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Medium jumbo is a pretty standard fret on many guitars today, including archtops.

hmm, it wasn't standard on my Eastman when I bought it. I really like these Medium Jumbos, I think they give you a vintage sound in an odd kind of way. Did they used to fret arch tops with this type of fret wire back in the 50s and 60s?

User Info Menu

I think thin frets when the way of rubber coated strings a long time ago.

User Info Menu

I like Jescar 51100 a lot and have had more than one archtop refretted with it, so I would definitely say that I like tall feet wire.

User Info Menu

My silvertone 1427 (from the 50s, with 2 P13 pickups) got refretted with 6100 frets, larger than medium jumbo. Which my luthier buddy shaped just so. He had recommended going this way with frets. Given that this 1427 is now the easy playing archtop I've had the pleasure of spending time with, he did me a favor to suggest it.

User Info Menu

Tall frets be good to me.

JESCAR Gold are preferred.

Martin is putting JESCAR golds on their modern Deluxe Series.
    Not necessarily tall, though.

User Info Menu

I like very low action, but action isn't measured from the fretboard, it's measured from the top of the frets. I find bigger frets work better for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Did they used to fret arch tops with this type of fret wire back in the 50s and 60s?
    Thin wire was more a vintage thing.

User Info Menu

Jescar 0.047"x0.104" EVO or 0.047"x0.095" EVO.

User Info Menu

My 175 has minute frets

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I like Jescar 51100 a lot and have had more than one archtop refretted with it, so I would definitely say that I like tall feet wire.
    Wow! Those are seriously big. I’ve never had the guts to try really big frets like that, but I’m tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Not archtop as such although it has a 'carved top'

I had my Les Paul Recording refretted with jumbo fretwire. Originally it had "fretless wonder'' frets - very wide and low. They were completely worn out so I had it refretted. I went with jumbo fret wire based on recommendations from other guitar players- anyway, I hated it. It felt stiff and awkward to play. Basically I didn't want to play it anymore, the worn out original frets felt better!

Had it refretted again, this time with small, fairly narrow fret wire - similar to old Fenders and older (50's and earlier) Gibsons - much better, in fact pretty much perfect. I can get the action extremely low and have no buzzing, even if digging in.

Was an expensive exercise but I've learned my lesson - I just don't like big frets, the smaller vintage style ones are what I like.

User Info Menu

Fret size chart:
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Fret Size

The wide 6130s are "Medium Jumbo". The wide and tall 6150s are "Jumbo". The even wider and taller 6100s are used by Ibanez a lot.

User Info Menu

My Les Paul has 6105.
    The previous refret was 6100 - I really disliked the feel (and tone) - was a lot more metallic sounding. With the smaller 6105 fretwire it sounds much better. I honestly didn't expect there to be much difference in sound, but there is quite a big difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Wow! Those are seriously big. I’ve never had the guts to try really big frets like that, but I’m tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I had the EVO Gold put on my ‘68 GJS two years ago. I like them so much that I had the same size, but in regular nickel put on my ‘36 ES-150.

Then I was fortunate enough to find this baby below. The frets were nearly worn all the way down to the board, so it was clearly time for some more 51100 EVO. Since the refret this one has been getting most of the playing time.