The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I emailed Peter Henriksen (I bought my JazzAmp 112 directly from him 10 years ago) with a few questions about my new The Bud:

Q: Can I use a channel's stereo effects loop jack to send an instrument level signal to a tuner using a standard mono guitar cord?
    A: Yes.

Q: Did you consider or prototype using an 8" speaker rather the the 6.5" Beta 6A?
    A: We wanted the amp to be absolutely as small as we could make it. We got the sound we wanted from the Beta 6A and cabinet design, so we didn't feel the need to try anything bigger.

Q: Why do people have so much trouble spelling your last name correctly?
    A: I don't know, but we've just had to get used to it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wondering what user opinions are on the new Jazz 10.and i had a Q about it so i email Henriksen (did i spell that right Tom lol)He said in a couple weeks a 10 inch bud maybe or was to be announced.Price has always been out of my reach but when i add up other good choices by the end im only a couple hundred $ less.So im givin this a serious look maybe the wifes meds can skip a couple months lol.and my teenage son can stop eating lol.

User Info Menu

Yes, EB, you spelled it right! (Sorry, my day job is as a technical writer/editor, and stuff like that drives me nuts!)
    Yes, I sort of wished the BUD had an 8" speaker - I like 8" speakers - but like Peter, I got the sound I want with the 6.5" speaker/cabinet design, and I've still got my 112 if I'm going for a 'bigger' sound.

However, I knew full well that as soon as I bought a BUD, Henriksen might come out with, "The BUD Mark II" - seems to happen to me all the time - but the one I got checks all my boxes. I don't think I'd want a BUD 110, but I bet a lot of people might.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is old news, but the Bud 10 is out and intro priced at $1399 (only $100 more than the regular Bud). Seems like maybe the "gig bag" is not included currently but IMO that is no biggie - carrying a 10" deep / 20 lbs package in a shoulder bag doesn't sound very fun (I find that even the Blu is not very convenient in the shoulder bag due to its depth).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Not sure if this is old news, but the Bud 10 is out and intro priced at $1399 (only $100 more than the regular Bud). Seems like maybe the "gig bag" is not included currently but IMO that is no biggie - carrying a 10" deep / 20 lbs package in a shoulder bag doesn't sound very fun (I find that even the Blu is not very convenient in the shoulder bag due to its depth).
    At the same time the new Bud 10 has been released, the original Bud has been revamped with bluetooth and the newer , lighter power amp found in the Blu. $300 extra (over the Blu) for the second channel of the new Bud will only make sense if you need it. For most of us, the Blu is still the best game in town for it's portability/tone/price combination.

Henriksen makes great stuff and charges a hefty boutique price. When the Bud 10 goes to regular price, buyers will pay a huge premium for a slightly bigger speaker and slightly bigger cabinet over the regular Bud. That will make no sense, IMO.

I got a great deal on my Blu and being a pro, I can write it off on my Schedule A. If I was a hobbyist, I would consider other choices unless my disposable income was very high.

User Info Menu

"Hefty boutique prices" are probably necessary to have enough profit margin to sustain the business. The guitar and amp world is littered with the shops that went out of business because of not being able to charge enough to make adequate profit. It's hard when you're competing with excellent products from low-wage parts of the world such as Mexico, China and Indonesia which cost a fraction of a producing the same product in the US would cost. It's pretty hard for a boutique builder to create a product with enough added value to command boutique prices. On the other hand, compare the price of a Princeton Reverb re-issue by Fender with the price of the Blu. The gap is not insignificant but a lot smaller than, say, that between a Danocaster and a MIM Tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I don't know how long this ad has been around, but it claims the new Bud is down to 13lbs.
    The Bud - Henriksen Amplifiers

User Info Menu

What did I tell you guys? As soon as I finally buy a Bud, Peter comes out with not one but two new versions of it!
    But I'm really happy with the 10-year-old 112 and the new Bud 'Mk1' I've already got.
    Good thing I'm 70 years old and no longer feel compelled to constantly 'upgrade' to the latest and greatest!

User Info Menu

Enricssenn seem to be very nice amps, indeed.
    Last edited by Pierrot; 07-17-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Handreeksand spelling.

User Info Menu

Seems like I saw a recent thread where some dude bought a used Henriksen 110 for $200.

So I guess my 110ER is worth -- what? $250? Dang, it cost $999 new . . . just sayin'

I might have to stick with vintage Fender from now on just for the investment value