NGD Rapidly Approaching-61981871_2282420368502658_8056712366387101696_n-jpg
    NGD Rapidly Approaching-62252335_2282422001835828_1866523032277745664_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fantastic - congrats!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks Marc.

User Info Menu

Lovely. That tailpiece and finger rest look super beefy, giving the guitar a real solid look. I like it! Is it heavy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    Lovely. That tailpiece and finger rest look super beefy, giving the guitar a real solid look. I like it! Is it heavy?
    Thanks. I wish I knew about the weight. It's still in transit. I'll find out about that and a few other things soon.

User Info Menu

Very sweet axe. He is building me one right now also. Seeing yours just made me more excited. Congrats !

User Info Menu

Holst?

Just beautiful.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Very sweet axe. He is building me one right now also. Seeing yours just made me more excited. Congrats !
    Thanks, Vinny. Steve has built guitars for you before. Hope you love your new one.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, a Holst.

Steve does excellent work and has a great customer service ethic. He's all about building exactly the guitar you want. I can't say enough good things about him.

User Info Menu

Very, very nice, beautiful color too.
    Is that a mahogany neck?

User Info Menu

Stunning looking guitar, I agree the Tailpiece & Pickguard are works of art.
    This is the nearest we will get to the JP one pickup 175 that will probably never be built.
    Can I ask the neck width In the pic it looks like 1 3/4”. ?

User Info Menu

Wow.

User Info Menu

Beautiful appointments and color. I've got a 16"er from Mr. Holst due sometime soon. Now I'm getting anxious.

Cincy
    2002 Gibson L5 CES

User Info Menu

Steve Holst really nails that D’Aquisto laminate style. He prides his laminate plates to be as good as Roger Borys which is the gold standard. Unlike most builders Holst will do anything you want.

User Info Menu

To answer a couple questions: Maple neck, 1.75" nut. He hand carves appointments like the tailpiece and finger-rest.

Steve will build any guitar you want. Any available wood, any reasonable nut width. He doesn't make a "standard" model. It'll be exactly what you want. He asks a lot of questions and sends you a spreadsheet to fill out all the details of the build. All the choices are yours. He did a lot of custom work on mine with no upcharge. He's dedicated to building exactly what the customer wants and takes great pains to make sure everything is communicated.

Cincy, I think you're gonna love your guitar. The waiting is the hardest part.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar! Both modern looking and in the tradition.

Congrats.
    Archtop bloging/G+ homepage: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+FredArchtop/posts
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

Wow! Looks awesome. What is some custom work you requested?

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful! Looking forward to hearing some sound bites, if it sounds as great as it looks . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996 View Post
    A new addition to the stable from Steve Holst:
    Congratulations! Stephen really does a great Job on his laminate plates, and they get great tone! Would you please share the dimensions of your guitar? Mine was modeled after a Borys B-120 (16" lower bout, 2.75" depth, 1.75" nut, 25" scale). I noticed that he raised the price a bit though still a relative bargain @ $3500.
    NGD Rapidly Approaching-xnnzeg-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Wow! Looks awesome. What is some custom work you requested?
    Thanks. Mainly the pickguard, tailpiece and headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    Congratulations! Stephen really does a great Job on his laminate plates, and they get great tone! Would you please share the dimensions of your guitar? Mine was modeled after a Borys B-120 (16" lower bout, 2.75" depth, 1.75" nut, 25" scale). I noticed that he raised the price a bit though still a relative bargain @ $3500.
    Thanks. It's a 16" lower bout, 2.25" deep, 1.75" nut and 25.5" scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    can't wait to hear it!
    Me too.

User Info Menu

?Funny there is all this Steve Holst action here, I just ordered a carved guitar from him. Some 18 years ago or so he made me two really amazing wood tailpieces. I'll see if I can dig up the photos. Steve's an affable guy who will build you ANYTHING... If you're on Facebook you can see most of his recent work posted there. Amazing... I think when I see Vinny's guitar I'm gonna want a laminated one also... Apologies the pictures are from an old digital camera. The 175 style type tailpiece is rosewood with ebony insert in the middle and macassar ebony diamonds in the top bar... No metal frame, it's two perfectly cut pieces of wood with a steel rod and the pin for the hinge. Amazing work. The ebony D'Aquisto tailpiece on the ES150DC is just as well built...
    NGD Rapidly Approaching-p2160007-jpgNGD Rapidly Approaching-p5040001-jpgBig

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar !

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar! Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    ?Funny there is all this Steve Holst action here, I just ordered a carved guitar from him. Some 18 years ago or so he made me two really amazing wood tailpieces. I'll see if I can dig up the photos. Steve's an affable guy who will build you ANYTHING... If you're on Facebook you can see most of his recent work posted there. Amazing... I think when I see Vinny's guitar I'm gonna want a laminated one also... Apologies the pictures are from an old digital camera. The 175 style type tailpiece is rosewood with ebony insert in the middle and macassar ebony diamonds in the top bar... No metal frame, it's two perfectly cut pieces of wood with a steel rod and the pin for the hinge. Amazing work. The ebony D'Aquisto tailpiece on the ES150DC is just as well built...
    NGD Rapidly Approaching-p2160007-jpgNGD Rapidly Approaching-p5040001-jpgBig
    To a point, he's almost too nice! Sometimes I think he gets bogged down in customer inspired embellishments, some of which are odd and misguided IMHO, but he unfailingly does what the customer requests. I think for each guitar type (carved, laminate etc.) he should simply offer a standard model and maybe model with a fancier trim package (standard & deluxe for example) and leave it at that. Mr. Campellone seems to have come to that conclusion. Like Mr. Borys, Mr. Holst doesn't advertise or go to shows so he relies on a word-of-mouth process.

User Info Menu

That’s a looker! Lovely - congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    To a point, he's almost too nice! Sometimes I think he gets bogged down in customer inspired embellishments, some of which are odd and misguided IMHO, but he unfailingly does what the customer requests. I think for each guitar type (carved, laminate etc.) he should simply offer a standard model and maybe model with a fancier trim package (standard & deluxe for example) and leave it at that. Mr. Campellone seems to have come to that conclusion. Like Mr. Borys, Mr. Holst doesn't advertise or go to shows so he relies on a word-of-mouth process.
    I won't presume to tell Steve how to run his business, but I understand what you're saying. When ordering from him you need to be careful what you wish for. But if you know what you want he can build you something beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996 View Post
    I won't presume to tell Steve how to run his business, but I understand what you're saying. When ordering from him you need to be careful what you wish for. But if you know what you want he can build you something beautiful.
    I agree with you-it's certainly none of my business. His choices are his choices.