Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 127
    question about shipping.
    You live in BC in Canada?
    I live in Montreal.
    How much was the shipping and tax?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This archtop is loosely based on the D'Aquisto/Borys B-120 laminated archtop design. It has a 16" lower bout with 2-3/4" rim depth. It is a design departure in that it has 22 frets, as opposed to 20 frets (the similarly inspired Sadowsky Jim Hall model has 21 frets). This Holst guitar also has a 25" scale length.
    Mr. Holst informed me that his carefully researched laminate plates (which he presses himself) are similar to those made by Mr. Borys (I read somewhere that Mr. Borys once supplied Mr. D'Aquisto with laminate plates).
    I am very impressed with the woskmanship of this guitar. It is every bit as good as a Borys B-120 I once owned!

The initial completion TAT estimate from Mr. Holst was six months, and the actual TAT stretched out to just over one year. I suspect the prolonged TAT was due to complex customer inspired embellishments on simultaneous pending orders. I admire Stephen's "customer input" forbearance! If you want "unique", he'll surely do that for you!
    Aside from the aforementioned pressed laminate top with 16" lower bout and 2.75" rims, some of my personal options were:

Jescar Gold Evo (.047/.104") fret wire
    Lindy Fralin Pure PAF 7.5 (KOhms) Humbucker With Gold Cover
    Wood bridge base with bridge posts set to accommodate a TOM if so desired
    Ebony Fretboard with split block inlays
    Binding on body, f-holes
    Parallel Bracing
    1.75" nut
    Chunky "V" profile neck
    25" scale
    Gotoh 510 Delta Series 1:21 tuners (Gold or antique gold)

Attached are some photos, and my amateur version of "Here's That Rainy Day":
    Note: I just got this archtop a few hours ago, so I'm still tweaking settings.

Last edited by helios; 10-06-2018 at 11:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

And congratulations. I love my Holst.

User Info Menu

Wow, beautiful! Steve Holst makes guitars that look and sound beautiful. Congrats and enjoy your new axe!

User Info Menu

Helios,
    What a beautiful guitar ! I don’t know much about Holst guitars- thanks for sharing. I’ll go check out his website.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Helios,
    What a beautiful guitar ! I don’t know much about Holst guitars- thanks for sharing. I’ll go check out his website.
    QAman, He's relatively unknown, and underrated IMHO!

User Info Menu

A couple more photos:

Last edited by helios; 10-05-2018 at 08:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats!
    Holst is a well-kept secret out there; more people should know of him!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Thanks Jabber! Did you get the Borys you ordered? I came close to ordering one but I went with the Holst. Still had to wait over a year!
    Yes, I did. I ordered two with deliveries to be staggered six months apart-to ease the payment schedule-but Roger finished them both at the same time. I had to scramble to get some cash.

User Info Menu

Holy Moly what a SWEET axe. Gorgeous sound too. A great big Congrats. WOWzaa !

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar, congrats!

Ex-Holst owner here...it was a great guitar. I commissioned it to RSI-friendly specs which I now longer needed after a while, so I sold it and moved to a slightly larger (in all ways except bout width) laminate guitar which I still have as my main player. Steve Holst is also a very nice guy - I picked up the guitar in person so we chatted for a little while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Lovely guitar, congrats!

Ex-Holst owner here...it was a great guitar. I commissioned it to RSI-friendly specs which I now longer needed after a while, so I sold it and moved to a slightly larger (in all ways except bout width) laminate guitar which I still have as my main player. Steve Holst is also a very nice guy - I picked up the guitar in person so we chatted for a little while.
    He is a great fellow! He's busy with a lot of custom work now. He should do as Mark Campellone, and just offer 3-4 models leaving nut, scale, finish up to the customer. I think he gets bogged down with peculiar customer needs-he's almost too nice in that regard!

User Info Menu

May I ask what you paid ? I would like the exact same model and color just with a different neck profile. I love laminates.

User Info Menu

What a beauty. I think I remember seeing your build about a month and a half ago when I was picking up my guitar that Steve was doing some finish work on. He does great work and will accommodate very specialized builds. His prices are quite reasonable also. Thanks for clip but that really has me jonesing to get the build that we were discussing under way. Play it in good health I'm sure it's gonna be a keeper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    May I ask what you paid ? I would like the exact same model and color just with a different neck profile. I love laminates.

$3300.00
    1/3 ($1100) To place the order, the rest upon completion.
    Is this because I wanted to copy your Campellone?? Ha ha

User Info Menu

The Pacific Northwest grows wonderful luthiers; must be something in the water ...

User Info Menu

Very nice Helios. The guitar is a really beautiful creation. I Love the color.
    Your playing was really nice and you showcased the guitar beautifully. You should be proud of your choice AND how you demonstrated it’s capabilities.
    Thank you for sharing. Somewhere in heaven Johnny Carson clicked on your video closed his eyes and smiled. Then he asked Tony Mottola to teach him how to play that song like you did. That was Johnny’s favorite song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    The Pacific Northwest grows wonderful luthiers; must be something in the water ...
    And every now and then when an 800-year-old spruce falls down, some pretty nice wood too!

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone! It is my feeling this guitar, like an ES-175 or L5, or the similar Sadowsky Jim Hall, Borys B-120, Trenier Jazz special, all are rooted in an iconic design. All of these laminated permutations are highly regarded by their owners.

User Info Menu

Congratulations; beautiful guitar. I ordered a similar guitar several years ago from Steve and he's working on another one for me now. He's a great builder and a very nice guy. He's also got a terrific customer service ethic. I can't recommend him highly enough.

I think you'll begin to hear that guitar warm up in a couple years and take on a more mellow tone. It's definitely a keeper. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    His laminate archtops are $3,300. Generally speaking, there aren't any upcharges unless you want some unusual pickups or something. I wanted an internal pure archtop pickup and he charged for that. Other than that mine didn't have any extra charges and he did a lot of unique things for me.

Stephen Holst Archtops-holst-final-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Man, that's a stunner. I'm not familiar with Holst but based on this example, I feel deprived, envious and left scheming.

User Info Menu

A new addition to the stable from Steve Holst:

Stephen Holst Archtops-61981871_2282420368502658_8056712366387101696_n-jpg
    Stephen Holst Archtops-62252335_2282422001835828_1866523032277745664_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Lovely. That tailpiece and finger rest look super beefy, giving the guitar a real solid look. I like it! Is it heavy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Lovely. That tailpiece and finger rest look super beefy, giving the guitar a real solid look. I like it! Is it heavy?
    Thanks. I wish I knew about the weight. It's still in transit. I'll find out about that and a few other things soon.