Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Barefaced GX guitar cab
    – Barefaced Audio

anyone tried / own one of these ?
    the AVD tech looks very interesting

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks interesting. Barefaced cabinets are highly regarded in the bass amplification world, I would expect that this would not disappoint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    Looks interesting. Barefaced cabinets are highly regarded in the bass amplification world, I would expect that this would not disappoint.
    Right, and they're known for "loud and light," which is what a lot of us jazz guitarists like, as well!

I'm interested in the GX (1x10) model, and have been watching the exchange rate go up and down since they started selling the cabs. I'm in the States, and it's been between $370 - 420 or so, which, shipped from the UK, is fairly comparable (or less!) than other, good 1x10 cabs.

User Info Menu

Looks great. I love the options. The Low Cut Filter is a great idea.

User Info Menu

Interesting new video:

I hope these are successful, and in turn, bring the other supercab builders from the bassworld into guitarland.

Barefaced, Greenboy Audio, AudioKinesis, Big E, et cetera. C’mon over.

Anymore experiences or thoughts with the Barefaced
    1 x10 and or 1x 12 Franz ?
    or indeed anyone else here ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I've been testing the 1 x10 guitar cab for a couple of months now. Here's what I think:
    -it does an astonishing job of sounding 'big' - much louder than a conventional 1x 10. Coupled with a small class D bass head eg BAM200, it's good for any gig
    -it's been hard to get the speaker right for "jazz" ( ie my particular perception of a good jazz tone ). The bass speaker they sent initially didn't work at all.
    -I have now been trying it with a neo Celestion. This works quite well, but I prefer a ceramic-mag speaker for 'punch'. I'm waiting for Barefaced to
    send me a ceramic 10" to try out. I'm one of those luddites who find that most neo's sound a little soft for guitar. But other players might well like
    the slighter softer neo attack.
    -the cab is very light indeed, about 10 lb., and even with a ceramic speaker will be a very easy carry. It's small, easily fits in small car boot / trunk.

With the right speaker, this cab is a winner. It's not cheap, but the extreme portability and ability to sound so loud and 'big' might well be worth it.

edit; in response to Jim's point, the LC filter doesn't work for jazz guitar so far, and waiting for some electronic components to change the filter values.
    It can be made to work, but currently the bass cut is far too severe for me.

User Info Menu

I have the "first gen" 1x10, with an Eminence speaker (now they come with Celestion), and I like it! As Franz was saying, it definitely fills up a room, and I've performed (at a loud jam!) using it with my 20W tube amp, and also as an extension cab with my Henriksen Blu. The Blu + Barefaced is a perfect grab 'n' go rig for lightweight, loud, and clean playing!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, 1x8, 1x10, and 1x12 cabs, with speaker, go from $300 - 800 USD (and some of them plus shipping), so I personally don't think these are "too" expensive, but right in the middle (and their prices are shipped from the UK!). I also bought mine at the "introductory" rate, so it was even less than it is now, which was a steal at the time (with the exchange rate)!

Overall, recommended!

thanks for the infos FranzMarc , that’s good to know , do you know which eminance 10” is in there ?maybe beta10 ?

User Info Menu

thanks for the infos FranzMarc , that’s good to know , do you know which eminance 10” is in there ?maybe beta10 ?
    No, it's the Patriot "Copperhead," 75W, @ 8 Ohms.

User Info Menu

As Marc says, they used to use eminence speakers in the guitar cab, but now the 'regular' cabinet only offers a range of various celestion speakers. I was in contact with Alex and asked to test the cabs specifically for jazz guitar, initially with a bass speaker and then with a celestion neo. My guess is that it would work pretty well for jazz with the Copperhead, but haven't tried it.

I think what Barefaced are trying to do is tailor the speaker specifically for jazz, and also use a speaker with a higher wattage rating than the regular speakers - knowing that many jazz players will be using SS amps with higher power to replicate the transient capability of lower power tube amps.

User Info Menu

Update: for you modeler cats, I just learned Barefaced is about to release their FRFR version of this guitar cab! Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    As Marc says, they used to use eminence speakers in the guitar cab, but now the 'regular' cabinet only offers a range of various celestion speakers. I was in contact with Alex and asked to test the cabs specifically for jazz guitar, initially with a bass speaker and then with a celestion neo. My guess is that it would work pretty well for jazz with the Copperhead, but haven't tried it.

I think what Barefaced are trying to do is tailor the speaker specifically for jazz, and also use a speaker with a higher wattage rating than the regular speakers - knowing that many jazz players will be using SS amps with higher power to replicate the transient capability of lower power tube amps.
    hi Franz ,
    Did you arrive at any updated info on what drivers work well (or don't)
    in the Bareface Upsetter 110 cabinet ....

Btw did you ever try it with a Celestion BN10 200x neo ?
    Celestion BN10-200X - Neodymium Bass Speaker
    looks like a possibility....

User Info Menu

hi Franz ,
    Did you arrive at any updated info on what drivers work well (or don't)
    in the Bareface Upsetter 110 cabinet ....

Btw did you ever try it with a Celestion BN10 200x neo ?
    Celestion BN10-200X - Neodymium Bass Speaker
    looks like a possibility....
    This is timely; I've been using the Barefaced 10" cab all the time this year. I did try the Celestion neo BN, currently it has an Eminence deltalite 10 in it. The low cut filter values were changed for jazz use and now work properly. This cab is a bit of an irresistible proposition because 1) it weighs less than any other cab I have, 2) is significantly louder than any other 10" cab I have per watt, and 3) the rear sound dispersal is very effective, full-sounding and avoids that boxy sound you get from many small amps/ cabs. I did try several drivers; my impression is that most of them - including a couple of guitar speakers - work well, so it's a matter of taste and power handling. I don't know yet what driver Alex will choose to use when they issue the jazz version.

I was initally quite sceptical, but it really is a very superior design, and extremely light. A great pairing with a bam200 amp or TC BQ bass amp; the midrange emphasis of these amps is balanced out by the rear sound projection from the cab to give a clear and balanced, yet full- fat sound. But, it would sound good with any amp....

edit; the only downside to the barefaced cab is that it's not especially small, in jazz cab terms; it's about the size ( and sound) of a shorter-but-fatter princeton, and 14 lb. But it obviously won't work for extreme portability applications eg putting whole amp rig in gigbag. The sound is worth it to me, as I'm not lugging a 34 lb PR around. I'm old.
    Last edited by Franz 1997; 02-21-2020 at 01:01 PM.

update ....
    i just emailed Alex about
    a price for an empty cab ....

“we don't sell any of our cabs unloaded but we're about to launch a jazz specific version of the Upsetter 110 with a different filter and a choice of two different high power 10" drivers, one neo.

Best regards,

Alex”

sounds very interesting ....

tho i don’t know which drivers will be offered

thanks Franz for any development work you have done on these

stay safe people ....

User Info Menu

tho i don’t know which drivers will be offered

thanks Franz for any development work you have done on these

stay safe people ....

Jem, if they are the ones I suggested, it'll be the Celestion TF1020 and TN10 20. Fairly flat response, & very efficient. I have also tried various others, they all work pretty well. The main thing was upping the wattage rating for jazz SS head amp users, whilst still sounding good. Not all higher powered speakers do, especially some neo speakers IMO. The TN1020 neo is good unless you want fender scoop, in which case the Ragin Cajun does a better job. It's also very light - although that's academic, as my gigs were all cancelled in the last few days.

User Info Menu

hi to all you fellow jazzguitar-sound-nerds
    Are there any updates to this Barefaced-tread? Has anybody tried the jazz-version of the 110 cab with the modified LC-filter?
    I'm considering altering my setup from Roland jazzchorus 120 paired with a Polytone Minibrute IV to a more lightweight outfit ex. a Quilter mini 101 Reverb with some sort of easy-to-carry cab like the Barefaced 110.

Any experiences, opinions, hints out there?

Greetings from Jan