The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 358

User Info Menu

135s in the 90's are righteous guitars. Versatile. More dynamic response than a solid body or a 335. Increased body depth over a 335 and extra internal volume due to having only 1 cutaway. The extra resonance due to that additional cavity size is largely obliterated by the solid block, but it does make for a subtle increase in responsiveness that suits a jazz gig. Nowhere near the dynamic range of a carved archtop, but enough to be a respectable jazz vehicle in a combo, while still handling louder blues and rockabilly settings.

A good guitar, as long as you stay before about 2003. After that, the quality completely tanked and they then came out with the embarrassing 137 toy.

BTW, my '96 135 is on offer to pay for my Slaman carved top (purchased here).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benrosow
    135s in the 90's are righteous guitars. Versatile. More dynamic response than a solid body or a 335. Increased body depth over a 335 and extra internal volume due to having only 1 cutaway. The extra resonance due to that additional cavity size is largely obliterated by the solid block, but it does make for a subtle increase in responsiveness that suits a jazz gig. Nowhere near the dynamic range of a carved archtop, but enough to be a respectable jazz vehicle in a combo, while still handling louder blues and rockabilly settings.

A good guitar, as long as you stay before about 2003. After that, the quality completely tanked and they then came out with the embarrassing 137 toy.

Would you buy a used jazz vehicle from this man?

User Info Menu

I couldn't disagree on the 135, yet another undiscovered jewel from Gibson, but the 137 models are a well done git, especially the custom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    This is what the kids are playing now.

I think it’s rather dweeby, but he works with Ariana Grande, so what the hell do I know haha

I think dweeby is cool now. Time to get a fan fret macaferri.
    Fanned frets are pretty awesome.

i like 8 strings, though.
    Everything but the drum tracks on that is my .strandberg* Boden OS 8.
    Which is chambered, but without F holes, btw...
    Attached Images Attached Images Call for moratorium on 335s-img_0744-jpg 
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 08-29-2019 at 09:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Ha.

There were some cool ones.

But that was mostly in the 30s and 40s.
    Jim Hall with 54' Les Paul Custom equipped with single coil AlNiCo V neck and P-90 bridge pickups,
    and what looks like a Van Eps string damper. i wish we had a sound sample to go with the pic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    Fanned frets are pretty awesome.

i like 8 strings, though.
    Everything but the drum tracks on that is my .strandberg* Boden OS 8.
    Which is chambered, but without F holes, btw...
    I have a feeling I would love fanned frets and never want to go back...

#embracethedweeb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    @Christian: Dave Stryker just called and said he's gonna kick your a--!!!
    JK :-)
    Stryker and Chuck Loeb got good jazz sounds out of their semi-hollow Gibbies. I don't know how, and I forget which model they played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Stryker and Chuck Loeb got good jazz sounds out of their semi-hollow Gibbies. I don't know how, and I forget which model they played.
    I had heard that Stryker played a 335 (hence, my joke) but this pic from his own site clearly shows a 347:

http://www.davestryker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/021008stryker132.jpg

Once you get past the fluff about how pretty it is cosmetically, this review basically calls out a few things like the ebony fingerboard (I'm no expert but I think the 335 could be had with ebony or rosewood) , factory coil tap on both PUPs and the fine-tuners on the bridge. Sounds like the 347 is a pretty nice axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    Dave Stryker is a tough ex cop who was framed and kicked off the job. Follow him as he solves murders as a pi in Los Angeles. Following Colombo Thursday nights 930.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought that was Mickey Spillane’s Paul Hamer (played by Stacy Keach), lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    I had heard that Stryker played a 335 (hence, my joke) but this pic from his own site clearly shows a 347:

http://www.davestryker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/021008stryker132.jpg

Once you get past the fluff about how pretty it is cosmetically, this review basically calls out a few things like the ebony fingerboard (I'm no expert but I think the 335 could be had with ebony or rosewood) , factory coil tap on both PUPs and the fine-tuners on the bridge. Sounds like the 347 is a pretty nice axe.
    Basic facts star. You had one job!!!!

:-)

User Info Menu

To be perfectly honest I have trouble distinguishing all this 3 series guitars. If it’s got ears that’s close enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    I thought that was Mickey Spillane’s Paul Hamer (played by Stacy Keach), lol
    Lol. Mike hammer was a ripoff of this show. (Citation needed)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When did loeb play semis? I’ve only ever seen him with strat styles, and in later years a Sadowsky archtop

User Info Menu

Basic facts star. You had one job!!!!

:-)
    Please,sir, don't fire me!!!

In my defense, a quote from the following

Then I saw what would become my main guitar, a tobacco sunburst 1980 ES-347, hanging on the wall at a guitar store in Brooklyn. I traded my ES-335 for it.
    Gearhead: Dave Stryker's Plex-able Guitar Mods - JazzTimes

User Info Menu

The only flaw in my '06 137 Classic is that it lacks the VariTone of the Custom (The One that Got Away). I played one, once, while shopping for an amp for my middle granddaughter. I asked my sales guy to promise he'd never let me play it again. Best.Neck.Ever.

User Info Menu

Hey - you can't impose a moratorium on me from the UK.
    That's guitar repression without representation!
    I'll play all the Jazz I want on mickey mouse ears guitars, and if you don't like it, maybe I'll start throwing "real" archtops in the harbour - err, harbor?

User Info Menu

Uppity colonials

User Info Menu

Silly cousins!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Well .. There is the late 60s to 70s fully hollow Gibson 150DC .. a Mickey Mouse version of the ES-175

I'll be honest...I don't know what they were thinking with that. All the disadvantages of a full body and a double-cutaway in a single package...

User Info Menu

John stowell may not approve of the moratorium...

User Info Menu

Now y‘all made me pull out my 335 copy again, after three Telecaster years. Sings like a bird.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    When did loeb play semis? I’ve only ever seen him with strat styles, and in later years a Sadowsky archtop
    Back in the 80s, Loeb was doing some gigs for the same band agency (known in NY as 'club date office') that I used to do gigs for, and we would play different gigs in the same halls. He would always have his Gibson semi-hollow strapped in, even on breaks, where he'd walk around the place practicing, with a cigarette on the headstock.
    The keyboard player I played with had comp. tickets to a gig he was doing at Seventh Avenue South, the Brecker Bros. club in NYC, and he was playing the same guitar there. Probably that was the guitar that he used up till about 1988. I think he used it on the video tape of him playing with
    Getz back in the 70s.
    I don't think it was a 335, in fact most of the guys that got good jazz sounds out of their Gibson semi's used other models
    Grant Green and Terry Smith- 330s
    Dave Stryker- 347
    Chuck Loeb- not a 335
    This is why we're declaring a moratorium on the 335, they're no good for jazz!

User Info Menu

OK, I'm in. I pledge not to buy one.

User Info Menu

ES-335 The original Fusion Guitar! A marriage of hollow and solid body guitars.

User Info Menu

Back in the 80s, Loeb was doing some gigs for the same band agency (known in NY as 'club date office') that I used to do gigs for, and we would play different gigs in the same halls. He would always have his Gibson semi-hollow strapped in, even on breaks, where he'd walk around the place practicing, with a cigarette on the headstock.
    The keyboard player I played with had comp. tickets to a gig he was doing at Seventh Avenue South, the Brecker Bros. club in NYC, and he was playing the same guitar there. Probably that was the guitar that he used up till about 1988. I think he used it on the video tape of him playing with
    Getz back in the 70s.
    I don't think it was a 335, in fact most of the guys that got good jazz sounds out of their Gibson semi's used other models
    Grant Green and Terry Smith- 330s
    Dave Stryker- 347
    Chuck Loeb- not a 335
    This is why we're declaring a moratorium on the 335, they're no good for jazz!
    A correct opinion.