The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 358

User Info Menu

Call for moratorium on 335s-jim-hall-1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Greentone, substitutes! I have heard many many jazz guitarists of all styles, and one of the best I've heard locally and LIVE is Herb Moore in south Jersey. He played an Ibanez pointy headed solid body, and his playing was superb, but I 'd really like to hear him play an archtop. Now he may disagree, because he has a style, a tone and a personal preference, and the solid body could very well contribute to his technique.
    My preference is to hear the woody hollow sound of a guitar, like a classical guitar!!!

You guys really like John Scofield's tone ???????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack

I love John Scofield's tone, one of the best in jazz or any genre.

User Info Menu

Hmm, that’s weird you don’t like the 335. I have two jazz archtops, a Hofner New President, and a ‘60 Gibson ES-125, but I think I can get the best jazz tones from my recent 335-style D’Angelico Korean.

Also, you can always swap pickups. A 335 can definitely get good jazz tone, what have you been smoking? Clean out your ears, ha ha.

Just kidding. I bet I could record with a 335 and with a 175 and you’d have trouble hearing the difference as long as I can tweak settings.

User Info Menu

I would hear the diff! One is hollow, and one is not. That is my point of preference.

User Info Menu

The 175 (at least the one I have) has a specific type of treble and a much quicker decay than a 335

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    I have to agree with Greentone, substitutes! I have heard many many jazz guitarists of all styles, and one of the best I've heard locally and LIVE is Herb Moore in south Jersey. He played an Ibanez pointy headed solid body, and his playing was superb, but I 'd really like to hear him play an archtop. Now he may disagree, because he has a style, a tone and a personal preference, and the solid body could very well contribute to his technique.
    My preference is to hear the woody hollow sound of a guitar, like a classical guitar!!!

Well, he’s utterly identifiable.

I think having a solid body makes certain things possible. It makes things a lot smoother.

User Info Menu

I always liked Emily Remler’s sound.

User Info Menu

i've gotta say that the 335 thing is weird... those that like them certainly make them work
    but they are 'not for me', as the old standard goes.
    i don't mind how these guys sound at all, though:

Now i think i'm going to have to put a set of T-I Jazz Swing flatwounds on my Ibanez RG 421RW,
    play something with lotsa reverb and delay, and watch what happens...
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 06-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

What is it with grown men around here showing me their semi’s all the time?

User Info Menu

Playing the 333 tonight on the catwalk of a fashion-show in a church (as a matter of fact I’m typing this during the break). Wireless and all, speakers everywhere... didn’t want to risk feedback with the 125. But daaaaaaamn, why don’t I play that guitar more often?!?!? Sounds f€&##% great!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    What is it with grown men around here showing me their semi’s all the time?
    It’s the guitar forum equivalent of the d!€k pic.... :-D

User Info Menu

Christian has convinced me I need another 335 but this time with a twist...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    Christian has convinced me I need another 335 but this time with a twist...

This leaves me very confused.

I think I'd dig it if it wasn't for the head stock.

User Info Menu

This sounds like shit.

(point taken about the hipsters though)

User Info Menu

Sheep in wolves clothing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    This sounds like shit.

This reminds me of how much I love my ES-345.

User Info Menu

This also sounds like shit.
    Call for moratorium on 335s-b614ece1-ef7b-4452-ad6f-31d4a1f88386-jpg

User Info Menu

Now, before I briefly return to chain yanking and facetiousness, here is a thing that I'm sure someone's done on the forum...

Blind comparison 335 and Les Paul (or similar solidbody) through a clean fender amp, similar strings playing jazz lines.

Cos I think that the Gibson Les Paul Studio is one hell of a jazz guitar for the money, yet no-one plays them.

So....this suggests the importance of

A E S T H E T I C S

To the working 335 toting jazz noodler.

OTOH maybe there is a difference. In which case I will privately note it but pretend its not there and gaslight everyone who does notice it as being an effete corksniffer.

Just so we are clear on how this operates.
    The whole Gibbo shooting match, close your eyes and what do you hear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I quite like that

User Info Menu

I'm fed up of this instrument being around in jazz. It's like 'I don't have the stones to play an archtop but I got this stupid thing instead of a solid body because I don't want to be judged by my jazz mates.'

(Larry Carlton is allowed.)

(this is a joke, BTW, I know the gear forums get angry)
    come to the modern jazz guitar forum and publicly diss members Pete McCann, Ben Monder, Rodney Jones and Adam Rogers for playing 335s!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    come to the modern jazz guitar forum and publicly diss members Pete McCann, Ben Monder, Rodney Jones and Adam Rogers for playing 335s!
    Think how even more awesome they’d sound on proper guitars. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    The whole Gibbo shooting match, close your eyes and what do you hear?

Lovely warm mud

User Info Menu

Besides Monder plays an Ibanez

User Info Menu

It lacks:
    -the bass presence of a full hollow archtop,
    -the character of a tele,
    -the richness of a Les Paul, ?substantial ergonomic conductivity. (Neck is waaay the f&$k out there, awkward to play with a strap, awkward to play sitting down)

It doesn't lack:
    -cool looks(?)