The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 358

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    He just needs some seduction to come on over to de dark side (or in this case: the walnut side):

(Don’t ask me why, but a late 60ies or earlie 70ies walnut 335 with trapeze tailpiece is the bomb for me! I even love the witchhat knobs! I don’t mind volutes either, as long as the neck is mahogany, preferably 1-piece)
    See, people thought I was joking when I compared 335 owners to Satan.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't be fooled. He is not joking. That's his true feelings towards 335. He is on a mission. Planting a seed of doubt about the ES 335 world wide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Summary: it’s a bogus fraudulent mouse guitar designed to appease fools and I’m not having it.

Summary: This thread is a bogus fraudulent troll thread designed to attract fools (me included). 4324 views in a week, most successful around here. Well done cowboy.

Some Jazz guitarists like to define themselves as acoustic players, others think of themselves as players of electric guitars. It's typically one way or the other;

• Guys that love acoustic guitars cannot accept that acoustics go out the window (or reveal itself as nasty feedback) the moment you plug in a magnetic pickup and turn up the volume.
    • The rest of us like 335s. We like to be good looking (you know the Telecaster was never of any help in that regard, that's why Tele players need a Stetson hat and a pair of cowboy boots to divert attention. Yee-haw.)

User Info Menu

If those dancers were selling 335s, I'd buy 2. One from each. The devil made me do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    this thread needs dancing girls (gratuitous 335 content):

User Info Menu

One of the best jazz players I know has an old 80's Ibanez Shredder guitar with a Floyd Rose and he plays through a tiny little Yamaha solid state student amp that he mics. He's been through some tough times and that's the equipment he can afford. And you know what? He's a great player and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    He just needs some seduction to come on over to de dark side (or in this case: the walnut side):

(Don’t ask me why, but a late 60ies or earlie 70ies walnut 335 with trapeze tailpiece is the bomb for me! I even love the witchhat knobs! I don’t mind volutes either, as long as the neck is mahogany, preferably 1-piece)
    Lovely guitar. Mine is a regular Dot, vintage sunburst, stop tail. If I ever get another one, I'm going for a Trapeze tailpiece for sure.

User Info Menu

To resonate, or not to resonate.

If you have a guitar with a floating pick up, the Top (If it is carved), it is going to resonate but the volumes are going to have to be a lot less because you will be howling unless the box is stuffed with foam, at which point the box is no longer resonating.

Ushering in semi-hollows, and solid bodies. With semi-hollows and solid bodies the feedback issue is almost non-existent and the volumes can be increased and you don't have to sit in a certain spot with your amp at a certain angle...but I digress.

So the other alternative was volume with less feedback which is why pickups were mounted into the body which happened as a design alternative. When a hole is cut in the an arched top you are reducing the amount of the tops ability to resonate, if the top is carved. If it's a laminate top the resonation factor is already reduced - essentially an electric guitar. Anything with a humbucker mounted on top through a hole that goes through the top it's not going to resonate near as much as the old Archie's with the carved tops and a floater.

So you're stuck with a semi hollow-body guitar and what needs to be done is to find a pickup that matches the sound that you want to produce. And I don't know if that means output impedance or if that means special windings or what-have-you but the higher the output impedance the more it's going to sound like an a rocker and less like a jazzer. For instance a 6.5 impedance pickup might be a lot mellower sounding than a 9.5 or even a 7.5 and it it depends on the magnet material as well. if you're using alnico 5 or alnico 2, or ceramic or blades or pole pieces those effect into total sound that guitar is going to make.

Did I mention capacitors? In another words tone will be affected by any change or combination thereof. And that's the problem that this thread originator has with his 335, he has not dialed it in. He thinks another box is going to solve his problems, he's got a great platform to work with but he just has not learned how to work with that and to dial it in to suit his desires in tone.

Then there's the type and gauge of strings and string material.

Then there's the bridge material.

Then there's the cable going to the amp.

Then there's the amp.

And what speakers you have in the amp.

Everything adds up to your tonal output.
    Last edited by geogio; 06-17-2019 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I used to have an Epiphone dot. I didn't like it compared to my other guitars and sold it.
    I got a super deal on an Epiphone dot. A Good quality South Korean build. It was a nice guitar but I did sell it because I didn't like the neck which felt really fat and it just didn't appeal to me. And I realized over time that I didn't like 4 knobs anymore. I like 2 knobs and if at all possible I just like a floating Bridge pip bracketed on to the neck, but I do also play a Holdsworth Fatboy and a Tele and both of those have two knobs so I guess I just got used two knobs and thinner necks.

User Info Menu

"flats+humbuckers+Polytone= kill me now"

Hmm? Worked well for Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, etc.

Er, am I just feeding the trolls?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone

Works well for me. And has since I first saw Joe/Herb/Jim using that setup back in the 70's. Truth be told, these days I am more likely to leave my Polytone home in favor of my Henriksen or Acoustic Image Amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone

Yea worked well for them, and ...? A lot of different tones worked well for different folks, but the flats/humbuckers/polytone somehow became the mainstream of the jazz tone. You can't get more mainstream than that, and no, I don't want it. I mean, it's kinda obvious if you know what kind of tone I favor.

Yea, trolls on on a troll thread? Surprising! hahaha

User Info Menu

Some jazz cats agree that they don't need a 335. Not really a 'moratorium', but simply a matter of personal preference.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Gitfiddler;959551]Some jazz cats agree that they don't need a 335[QUOTE] Moratorium on saying jazz cats please

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=joe2758;959555][QUOTE=Gitfiddler;959551]Some jazz cats agree that they don't need a 335
    Moratorium on saying jazz cats please
    Cat = Good player
    Dog = Bad instrument

No reason to change that.

User Info Menu

OMG isn’t this Christian playing one?

Call for moratorium on 335s-0a7e4b65-d3b9-4ac4-98c4-7a7c9865aae7-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

The fake mustache disguise is very lame.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=joe2758;959555][QUOTE=Gitfiddler;959551]Some jazz cats agree that they don't need a 335
    Moratorium on saying jazz cats please
    Sorry, it's too late and I'm too old to change my terminology. Plus, the really cool jazz cats know who I'm referring to, and they dig it.

User Info Menu

Deep fake

User Info Menu

i know what cat means; it just makes me cringe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Deep fake
    I believe it is in fact a chap called Ross Millard, from the Futureheads (whoever they are).

User Info Menu

335's double cutaway= Christian's double life

User Info Menu

For those who don't like Reverb any longer, or thinks everybody is sounding like they're playing in a stairwell ... SUFFA'...

User Info Menu

I believe it is in fact a chap called Ross Millard, from the Futureheads (whoever they are).
    Handsome chap

User Info Menu

Chap, perhaps.

User Info Menu

I can't disagree with Christian on his 335 perspective, that's why I play a 535
    Call for moratorium on 335s-img_0479-jpg