Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 301 to 344 of 344
  1. #301

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Berry played a 355 I thought. Fancy guitar.

    I had a 347 for awhile. Good guitar.
    His early hits were done on an ES350T. Not sure when we stopped using those, but there are pictures of him playing an ES350T with humbuckers, so it had to be until at least '57, or maybe '58. There are pictures of him playing 335's (not sure of the dates, but they look like late 50s). Then at some point it's all 355's. Later on he often traveled without a guitar and without a regular band, and played a guitar provided by the venue or the back-up band hired by the venue (I saw him once with a 335).

    John

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #302

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    His early hits were done on an ES350T. Not sure when we stopped using those, but there are pictures of him playing an ES350T with humbuckers, so it had to be until at least '57, or maybe '58. There are pictures of him playing 335's (not sure of the dates, but they look like late 50s). Then at some point it's all 355's. Later on he often traveled without a guitar and without a regular band, and played a guitar provided by the venue or the back-up band hired by the venue (I saw him once with a 335).

    John
    Right, but he really zeroed on at 350 after a time.


    I guess a 335 is what one settles for when they don't have a 355 or 347 around. (ouuuuuuuuuuch).

  4. #303

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Right, but he really zeroed on at 350 after a time.


    I guess a 335 is what one settles for when they don't have a 355 or 347 around. (ouuuuuuuuuuch).

    Oooh... 347...
    Regards,

    Gary

  5. #304

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    Oooh... 347...

    Yeah, my 347 was blond. Truth be told, I happily played an ES-335 for years though.



  6. #305

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    @Christian: Dave Stryker just called and said he's gonna kick your a--!!!
    JK :-)
    That’s my second favourite guitarist name after Buzz Feiten. Something about the ‘y’.

    Dave Stryker PI could easily be a syndicated Tv show from the early 80s.

  7. #306

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    I had to google for that one:


    But dude, ‘dweeby’ seems the definition of a jazz guitarist, no?

    Ha.

    There were some cool ones.

    But that was mostly in the 30s and 40s.

  8. #307

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    That’s my second favourite guitarist name after Buzz Feiten. Something about the ‘y’.

    Dave Stryker PI could easily be a syndicated Tv show from the early 80s.
    Dave Stryker is a tough ex cop who was framed and kicked off the job. Follow him as he solves murders as a pi in Los Angeles. Following Colombo Thursday nights 930.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #308

    User Info Menu

    135s in the 90's are righteous guitars. Versatile. More dynamic response than a solid body or a 335. Increased body depth over a 335 and extra internal volume due to having only 1 cutaway. The extra resonance due to that additional cavity size is largely obliterated by the solid block, but it does make for a subtle increase in responsiveness that suits a jazz gig. Nowhere near the dynamic range of a carved archtop, but enough to be a respectable jazz vehicle in a combo, while still handling louder blues and rockabilly settings.

    A good guitar, as long as you stay before about 2003. After that, the quality completely tanked and they then came out with the embarrassing 137 toy.

    BTW, my '96 135 is on offer to pay for my Slaman carved top (purchased here).

  10. #309

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by benrosow View Post
    135s in the 90's are righteous guitars. Versatile. More dynamic response than a solid body or a 335. Increased body depth over a 335 and extra internal volume due to having only 1 cutaway. The extra resonance due to that additional cavity size is largely obliterated by the solid block, but it does make for a subtle increase in responsiveness that suits a jazz gig. Nowhere near the dynamic range of a carved archtop, but enough to be a respectable jazz vehicle in a combo, while still handling louder blues and rockabilly settings.

    A good guitar, as long as you stay before about 2003. After that, the quality completely tanked and they then came out with the embarrassing 137 toy.

    BTW, my '96 135 is on offer to pay for my Slaman carved top (purchased here).
    Would you buy a used jazz vehicle from this man?

  11. #310

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by benrosow View Post
    135s in the 90's are righteous guitars. Versatile. More dynamic response than a solid body or a 335. Increased body depth over a 335 and extra internal volume due to having only 1 cutaway. The extra resonance due to that additional cavity size is largely obliterated by the solid block, but it does make for a subtle increase in responsiveness that suits a jazz gig. Nowhere near the dynamic range of a carved archtop, but enough to be a respectable jazz vehicle in a combo, while still handling louder blues and rockabilly settings.

    A good guitar, as long as you stay before about 2003. After that, the quality completely tanked and they then came out with the embarrassing 137 toy.

    BTW, my '96 135 is on offer to pay for my Slaman carved top (purchased here).
    I couldn't disagree on the 135, yet another undiscovered jewel from Gibson, but the 137 models are a well done git, especially the custom.
    Regards,

    Gary

  12. #311

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    This is what the kids are playing now.



    I think it’s rather dweeby, but he works with Ariana Grande, so what the hell do I know haha

    I think dweeby is cool now. Time to get a fan fret macaferri.
    Fanned frets are pretty awesome.

    i like 8 strings, though.
    Everything but the drum tracks on that is my .strandberg* Boden OS 8.
    Which is chambered, but without F holes, btw...
    Attached Images Attached Images Call for moratorium on 335s-img_0744-jpg 
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 08-29-2019 at 09:25 AM.

  13. #312

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Ha.

    There were some cool ones.

    But that was mostly in the 30s and 40s.
    Jim Hall with 54' Les Paul Custom equipped with single coil AlNiCo V neck and P-90 bridge pickups,
    and what looks like a Van Eps string damper. i wish we had a sound sample to go with the pic!

  14. #313

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir View Post
    Fanned frets are pretty awesome.

    i like 8 strings, though.
    Everything but the drum tracks on that is my .strandberg* Boden OS 8.
    Which is chambered, but without F holes, btw...
    I have a feeling I would love fanned frets and never want to go back...

    #embracethedweeb

  15. #314

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    @Christian: Dave Stryker just called and said he's gonna kick your a--!!!
    JK :-)
    Stryker and Chuck Loeb got good jazz sounds out of their semi-hollow Gibbies. I don't know how, and I forget which model they played.

  16. #315

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    Stryker and Chuck Loeb got good jazz sounds out of their semi-hollow Gibbies. I don't know how, and I forget which model they played.
    I had heard that Stryker played a 335 (hence, my joke) but this pic from his own site clearly shows a 347:

    http://www.davestryker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/021008stryker132.jpg


    Once you get past the fluff about how pretty it is cosmetically, this review basically calls out a few things like the ebony fingerboard (I'm no expert but I think the 335 could be had with ebony or rosewood) , factory coil tap on both PUPs and the fine-tuners on the bridge. Sounds like the 347 is a pretty nice axe.

  17. #316

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dlew919 View Post
    Dave Stryker is a tough ex cop who was framed and kicked off the job. Follow him as he solves murders as a pi in Los Angeles. Following Colombo Thursday nights 930.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought that was Mickey Spillane’s Paul Hamer (played by Stacy Keach), lol
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

    I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

  18. #317

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    I had heard that Stryker played a 335 (hence, my joke) but this pic from his own site clearly shows a 347:

    http://www.davestryker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/021008stryker132.jpg


    Once you get past the fluff about how pretty it is cosmetically, this review basically calls out a few things like the ebony fingerboard (I'm no expert but I think the 335 could be had with ebony or rosewood) , factory coil tap on both PUPs and the fine-tuners on the bridge. Sounds like the 347 is a pretty nice axe.
    Basic facts star. You had one job!!!!

    :-)

  19. #318

    User Info Menu

    To be perfectly honest I have trouble distinguishing all this 3 series guitars. If it’s got ears that’s close enough.

  20. #319

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla View Post
    I thought that was Mickey Spillane’s Paul Hamer (played by Stacy Keach), lol
    Lol. Mike hammer was a ripoff of this show. (Citation needed)


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  21. #320

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    Stryker and Chuck Loeb got good jazz sounds out of their semi-hollow Gibbies. I don't know how, and I forget which model they played.
    When did loeb play semis? I’ve only ever seen him with strat styles, and in later years a Sadowsky archtop

  22. #321

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    To be perfectly honest I have trouble distinguishing all this 3 series guitars. If it’s got ears that’s close enough.

    Well .. There is the late 60s to 70s fully hollow Gibson 150DC .. a Mickey Mouse version of the ES-175


  23. #322

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Basic facts star. You had one job!!!!

    :-)
    Please,sir, don't fire me!!!

    In my defense, a quote from the following

    Then I saw what would become my main guitar, a tobacco sunburst 1980 ES-347, hanging on the wall at a guitar store in Brooklyn. I traded my ES-335 for it.
    Gearhead: Dave Stryker's Plex-able Guitar Mods - JazzTimes

  24. #323

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by benrosow View Post
    A good guitar, as long as you stay before about 2003. After that, the quality completely tanked and they then came out with the embarrassing 137 toy.

    BTW, my '96 135 is on offer to pay for my Slaman carved top (purchased here).
    The only flaw in my '06 137 Classic is that it lacks the VariTone of the Custom (The One that Got Away). I played one, once, while shopping for an amp for my middle granddaughter. I asked my sales guy to promise he'd never let me play it again. Best.Neck.Ever.
    Best regards, k

  25. #324

    User Info Menu

    Hey - you can't impose a moratorium on me from the UK.
    That's guitar repression without representation!
    I'll play all the Jazz I want on mickey mouse ears guitars, and if you don't like it, maybe I'll start throwing "real" archtops in the harbour - err, harbor?

  26. #325

    User Info Menu


  27. #326

    User Info Menu

    Silly cousins!

  28. #327

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    Well .. There is the late 60s to 70s fully hollow Gibson 150DC .. a Mickey Mouse version of the ES-175


    I'll be honest...I don't know what they were thinking with that. All the disadvantages of a full body and a double-cutaway in a single package...
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

    Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

  29. #328

    User Info Menu

    John stowell may not approve of the moratorium...

  30. #329

    User Info Menu

    Now y‘all made me pull out my 335 copy again, after three Telecaster years. Sings like a bird.


    Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

  31. #330

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    When did loeb play semis? I’ve only ever seen him with strat styles, and in later years a Sadowsky archtop
    Back in the 80s, Loeb was doing some gigs for the same band agency (known in NY as 'club date office') that I used to do gigs for, and we would play different gigs in the same halls. He would always have his Gibson semi-hollow strapped in, even on breaks, where he'd walk around the place practicing, with a cigarette on the headstock.
    The keyboard player I played with had comp. tickets to a gig he was doing at Seventh Avenue South, the Brecker Bros. club in NYC, and he was playing the same guitar there. Probably that was the guitar that he used up till about 1988. I think he used it on the video tape of him playing with
    Getz back in the 70s.
    I don't think it was a 335, in fact most of the guys that got good jazz sounds out of their Gibson semi's used other models
    Grant Green and Terry Smith- 330s
    Dave Stryker- 347
    Chuck Loeb- not a 335
    This is why we're declaring a moratorium on the 335, they're no good for jazz!

  32. #331

    User Info Menu

    OK, I'm in. I pledge not to buy one.

  33. #332

    User Info Menu

    ES-335 The original Fusion Guitar! A marriage of hollow and solid body guitars.

  34. #333

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    Back in the 80s, Loeb was doing some gigs for the same band agency (known in NY as 'club date office') that I used to do gigs for, and we would play different gigs in the same halls. He would always have his Gibson semi-hollow strapped in, even on breaks, where he'd walk around the place practicing, with a cigarette on the headstock.
    The keyboard player I played with had comp. tickets to a gig he was doing at Seventh Avenue South, the Brecker Bros. club in NYC, and he was playing the same guitar there. Probably that was the guitar that he used up till about 1988. I think he used it on the video tape of him playing with
    Getz back in the 70s.
    I don't think it was a 335, in fact most of the guys that got good jazz sounds out of their Gibson semi's used other models
    Grant Green and Terry Smith- 330s
    Dave Stryker- 347
    Chuck Loeb- not a 335
    This is why we're declaring a moratorium on the 335, they're no good for jazz!
    A correct opinion.

  35. #334

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    ES-335 The original Fusion Guitar! A marriage of hollow and solid body guitars.
    An incorrect opinion

  36. #335

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    OK, I'm in. I pledge not to buy one.
    Limited hang-out: OK, I'm (sorta) in. I pledge not to buy (yet another) one. Probably.
    Best regards, k

  37. #336

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Limited hang-out: OK, I'm (sorta) in. I pledge not to buy (yet another) one. Probably.
    OK, I’m in too.... I pledge not to buy one! (Because my ES-333 is all the ES-335 you need for less than half the money..... :-D)

    (And the biggest bonus: it’s worn brown, the modern production ES-335 doesn’t even come in that colour!)

    Last edited by Little Jay; 09-02-2019 at 03:09 AM.

    :: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

  38. #337
    Full disclosure, I love ‘em and 345s, as well as 355s, of which I have one, but if you’re giving out passes, I think “Captain Fingers” deserves one as well.
    Midnight Blues

  39. #338

    User Info Menu

    Ritenour deserves an exception, but--funny--he plays a signature L-5 these days.

  40. #339
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Ritenour deserves an exception, but--funny--he plays a signature L-5 these days.
    Very true, as well as an R9.
    Midnight Blues

  41. #340

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I'll be honest...I don't know what they were thinking with that. All the disadvantages of a full body and a double-cutaway in a single package...
    It's like too rational to be any good.

  42. #341

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    You, sir, are a genius. I already thought so, but now I know for certain.

  43. #342

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtfree View Post
    I've had both real and copy 335s but I always had trouble with the very long expanse of guitar top between the tailpiece and the bottom end of the guitar. Like, what purpose does that acre of wood serve anyway?
    In my case (and I don't think I'm alone) embonpoint camouflage.
    Best regards, k

  44. #343

    User Info Menu

    Up until maybe the 1990s The ES-335 and it's variants were basically the only fusion of hollow and solid body with glued in necks available.
    Now with so many choices available from PRS as well as smaller builders there is every combination one could possibly ask for.

    So I stand by my earlier statement of the 335 being the original Fusion guitar.

  45. #344

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Ritenour deserves an exception, but--funny--he plays a signature L-5 these days.

    Actually these days that L5 shares the limelight equally with the Les Paul that the Custom Shop built for him (Exhibit 2 your honor)