The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 358

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    335 owners = literally worse than Satan.
    Whoa, podner!

That territory belongs to the Telecaster set.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

335 = bad
    In 2019, ES 335, Telecaster, Mustang are all hipster guitars. There I go. I said it. May be 30 years ago it was different, I don't know, but today that's the truth.
    People who just want to get the job done, get a Stratocaster, LP or a hollow body depending on their style.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 06-09-2019 at 12:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I've stated that a couple of posts before and suggested a collection for a 335 for Christian - it's all sour grapes....
    Sorry... didn’t want to go thru 154 post to see if this was already suggested ;-)

I’ll admit I like my 125 better than my 333 (amost a 335) but for the big band with soul repertoire stuff I like the 333 a lot better. Then I want a bridge pickup and still a nuce full sound that cuts (a tele or strat will cut too, but don’t have the same fullnes to me!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Sorry... didn’t want to go thru 154 post to see if this was already suggested ;-)
    No worries - just meant to agree that it would probably be a solution to Christian's "problem".

User Info Menu

Back in the 20th Century (the '80s, if IIRC) I was gigging with a dream rig: a mid-'60s Gibson ES-345 with gold pups, trapeze tailpiece, and stereo VariTone amped through a JBL-equiped Music Man 112 RD 65 and a homemade cabinet with one 15" JBL. The sounds that came from that setup were simply glorious, at any volume needed, in any room (or the Great Outdoors, for that matter). The only downside was the weight, but at that age I could handle it. The amp was let go in a moment of stupendous idiocy. The guitar was only retired from gigging by the arrival of my first PRS CU24.
    I love the 345. It takes the already-tonally versatile 335 platform and expands its palette even further. "A tone for any tune" might be the best descriptor for this instrument.

PS I used to keep the sheet music of BB King's "Sweet Sixteen" in the case. On the cover BB is pictured playing an identical Cherry Red Gibson ES-345. To me, sheer inspiration!

Pace, Christian. If you ever make it to the States, drop by my place and I'll make you a believer. Lunch is on me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    In 2019, ES 335, Telecaster, Mustang are all hipster guitars. There I go. I said it. May be 30 years ago it was different, I don't know, but today that's the truth.
    People who just want to get the job done, get a Stratocaster, LP or a hollow body depending on their style.
    In recent years I have tried several 335's and a couple of Telecasters. They did not work for me.

My current collection of electric guitars consist of 5 hollow body electric archtops, a Les Paul and a Strat. I guess I am a non-hipster guy who just wants to get the job done.

User Info Menu

I started reading this thread early on, missed a few pages but I got the gist. Had me scratching my head I'll admit. Maybe I had missed something about my 335?

I finally had some time and broke out my 2011 Nashville build CS 59 (Ebony finish VOS) which had been in the case way too long.

I freaking love it. But that's just me.

Oh, I love my Heritage 535 too.

User Info Menu

Freddie King=very good

User Info Menu

Yeah he played blues though, your argument is invalid.

User Info Menu

335-free since 2003

User Info Menu

Chris'77 maybe talking in jest, but I actually hate playing a guitar with flats.

Don't talk crap about Teles, Chris'77 might find you and force you to eat Marmite... yuck

User Info Menu

Flats rule...on some guitars. Some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Flats rule...on some guitars. Some.
    Yea, like with P90s. With humbuckers- mehhhh

flats+humbuckers+Polytone= kill me now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yea, like with P90s. With humbuckers- mehhhh

flats+humbuckers+Polytone= kill me now
    See, I'm the opposite...I'd never want to tame a P90 with flats...

User Info Menu

"My current collection of electric guitars consist of 5 hollow body electric archtops, a Les Paul and a Strat. I guess I am a non-hipster guy who just wants to get the job done."

Is the Tele "hipster" required gear ( an attention getting device) ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46

Is the Tele "hipster" required gear ( an attention getting device) ?
    Definitions:
    Tele: The more "authentic" version of Strat.
    Hipster: Someone who has fetish for the authentic.

We live in times where everything is changing so fast that authenticity became a fetishized commodity.
    Oh, I got deep there. Just for a brief moment.

User Info Menu

335 is currently mainstream, and for hipsters? Not sure those words are the same.

User Info Menu

Marmite > 335

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Namelyguitar
    335 is currently mainstream, and for hipsters? Not sure those words are the same.
    A 330 or a 345 is far more hipster than a 335

User Info Menu

What I have learned is when you specifically say 'I am joking' in the OP, 335 owners will *still* get angry and try to debate you in good faith.

This does not surprise me at all.

User Info Menu

What I have learned....
    You knew all the time

User Info Menu

What I have learned is when you specifically say 'I am joking' in the OP, 335 owners will *still* get angry and try to debate you in good faith.

This does not surprise me at all.
    You are a living incarnation of Epimendides' paradox. Hofstadter predicted you.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    You are a living incarnation of Epimendides' paradox. Hofstadter predicted you.

John
    Bwahahahaha

User Info Menu

He just needs some seduction to come on over to de dark side (or in this case: the walnut side):

(Don’t ask me why, but a late 60ies or earlie 70ies walnut 335 with trapeze tailpiece is the bomb for me! I even love the witchhat knobs! I don’t mind volutes either, as long as the neck is mahogany, preferably 1-piece)

User Info Menu

What you should have also learned is that people never read the fine print.