The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 358

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    OK, it's the "too much free time" option.
    335 players are very serious, busy and important people with no time for silliness.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Gibson SG is the best kept secret in Jazz. Often used under cover in the studio, but seldom seen on stage. Some would even claim that every humbucker guitar sound about the same when laying down a track and that things like amps, strings and picks tend to be part of the equation.

It's a visual thing, much like haircut and shoes. One has to respect the uniform; always wear a Stetson hat and a pair of cowboy boots when you sling a Telecaster.

The 335 is a thing of beauty that a man likes to caress. No f-holes, no jazz.

(Some would claim that the 335 has better fret access than a regular archtop, almost as good as the SG, but we all know this is just bells and whistles for less orthodox players that probably have a skewed definition of Jazz.)

User Info Menu

Actually a 339 gives that same neck access as a 335, but in a more reasonable size...and price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    The Gibson SG is the best kept secret in Jazz. Often used under cover in the studio, but seldom seen on stage. Some would even claim that every humbucker guitar sound about the same when laying down a track and that things like amps, strings and picks tend to be part of the equation.

It's a visual thing, much like haircut and shoes. One has to respect the uniform; always wear a Stetson hat and a pair of cowboy boots when you sling a Telecaster.

The 335 is a thing of beauty that a man likes to caress. No f-holes, no jazz.

(Some would claim that the 335 has better fret access than a regular archtop, almost as good as the SG, but we all know this is just bells and whistles for less orthodox players that probably have a skewed definition of Jazz.)
    I always kinda fancied an SG actually. Maybe it’s time ....

Literally no one plays an SG around these parts....

I’ll overlook your talk about caressing f holes and so on, and made me feel a bit grubby

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    I think Emily Remler sounded great on her (brother's) 335.

I had a vintage Guild Starfire V (with a Bigsby!) for decades. Never could quite get the sound I wanted out of it, but a blues playing friend of mine picked it up one day and made it howl. When I finally got a full hollow archtop (yeah, a Joe pass emporer) i realized what i'd been missing. Now I like 'em even bigger.
    To be serious again for a moment I think Remler said that the 335 was the right size for her. I think a lot of women players find archtops too big. In Emily’s case she might have originally wanted the L5 tone, but the 335 became pretty iconic for her...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    To be serious again for a moment I think Remler said that the 335 was the right size for her. I think a lot of women players find archtops too big. In Emily’s case she might have originally wanted the L5 tone, but the 335 became pretty iconic for her...
    Call me a pedant but I think her's was an ES 330 outfitted with humbuckers....

Call for moratorium on 335s-tumblr_oovc59zqqm1s266lqo1_400-jpg

Also found this image:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id494370916

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Modified 330, where the P90s where replaced with humbuckers

Are we hating on the huge flat Mickey Mouse shape no matter the guitar or are the hollow 330 types ok despite not having P90?

(EDIT: TOMMO beat me to it)
    It’s more a generic antipathy aimed towards those who play them in a jazz context, especially if they bounce up and down as they play and wear hats of any kind.*

The instrument itself is perfectly acceptable if you play funk or blues. Or the correct sort of jazz even. Or are sco. Or Adam Rogers. Or are a woman.

Perfectly logical.

* Kurt is allowed, you are not.

User Info Menu

I don't have a problem with the 335, but I must say, semi-hollows in general, I've just never bonded with one.

I'd rather play my tele or a fully hollow guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I totally agree about the Les Paul Studio. I use mine on many gigs (when I an not playing one of my 175's). I have owned many 335s, Teles, Strats and other semi hollows and IMO, the Les Paul Studio is the best of the bunch for jazz. Mine is a 2017 Lest Paul Studio T. It is strung with TI 12 flats and I mostly use it through a Henriksen Blu. The 490R Pickup sounds great and the weight relieved body means the sub 8 pound solid body guitar is comfy and has all the sustain one would ever want. Often when I bring it out on gigs where the other guys have not heard it, they look alarmed at the beginning of the gig and end up telling me how great my rig sounded.
    You know I am convinced this is the main force driving 335 sales to jazzers. In all seriousness.

There is some value in avoiding 20-30 minute conversations with recreational guitar purchasers after gigs about how a telecaster is an unusual choice for a jazzer. I can only imagine it’s even more the case with a guitar that is actually an unusual choice.

And then there are your bandmates, who seem to think that the sound of an electric guitar is governed by its shape and colour.

Dave Cliff liked rocking up to gigs with a Fender Bullitt (or whatever they are called.) in this case I think they bit their tongues for a number of reasons.

Obviously there are limits. A Flying V has a great tone for jazz, but I don’t think we can expect even enlightened horn players to let that one go.

It’s like people look at the f holes and think, hmmm this player isn’t a filthy rock and roller, there’s going to be some tasteful sounds here. Despite that the f holes on a 335 basically don’t do anything.

Summary: it’s a bogus fraudulent mouse guitar designed to appease fools and I’m not having it.

The shape is no accident.

(Btw I don’t think *anyone’s* fooled by the tele thinline.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-05-2019 at 10:28 AM.

User Info Menu

To me ES 335's have a very characteristic thunk different than ES 175. It comes out especially when on bridge pickup and lightly overdriven. Like overdriven nasal, thunk. No other guitar has it but I'm not sure if I like that sound:
    Examples:

Very apparent here at 1:02 (and later during the solo): (well I actually like it there)

Also here starts at * 2:00 *

User Info Menu

Yeah cuz when i think of a guy that has a serious set of stones its the soft spoken spoken english dude Christianm77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    Yeah cuz when i think of a guy that has a serious set of stones its the soft spoken spoken english dude Christianm77
    They are as large as a man’s head. Each.

User Info Menu

Also haven’t you heard that I’m a young thruster?

User Info Menu

You know I am convinced this is the main force driving 335 sales to jazzers. In all seriousness.

There is some value in avoiding 20-30 minute conversations with recreational guitar purchasers after gigs about how a telecaster is an unusual choice for a jazzer. I can only imagine it’s even more the case with a guitar that is actually an unusual choice.

And then there are your bandmates, who seem to think that the sound of an electric guitar is governed by its shape and colour.

Dave Cliff liked rocking up to gigs with a Fender Bullitt (or whatever they are called.) in this case I think they bit their tongues for a number of reasons.

Obviously there are limits. A Flying V has a great tone for jazz, but I don’t think we can expect even enlightened horn players to let that one go.

It’s like people look at the f holes and think, hmmm this player isn’t a filthy rock and roller, there’s going to be some tasteful sounds here. Despite that the f holes on a 335 basically don’t do anything.

Summary: it’s a bogus fraudulent mouse guitar designed to appease fools and I’m not having it.

The Les Paul, while a great jazz guitar that was designed as a jazz guitar, sold poorly to jazz guitarists in the 50's. So Ted McCarty and his crew came out with the 335 (if at first you don't succeed.......). Early on, the guys whose livings (profits?) depended on it, figured out how important f holes were to jazz guitarists.

As much as I like my Les Paul, my Strat and my classical, my favorite guitars do have F holes. I admit, I tried to like the 335. I prefer the Les Paul. And I enjoy the look of anxiety that my Lester sometimes affects my fellow musicians when I pull it out on a bandstand. People in the audience could care less.

User Info Menu

Do you guys actually experience people giving you the stink-eye for playing the wrong guitar?

John

User Info Menu

The Les Paul, while a great jazz guitar that was designed as a jazz guitar, sold poorly to jazz guitarists in the 50's. So Ted McCarty and his crew came out with the 335 (if at first you don't succeed.......). Early on, the guys whose livings (profits?) depended on it, figured out how important f holes were to jazz guitarists.

As much as I like my Les Paul, my Strat and my classical, my favorite guitars do have F holes. I admit, I tried to like the 335. I prefer the Les Paul. And I enjoy the look of anxiety that my Lester sometimes affects my fellow musicians when I pull it out on a bandstand. People in the audience could care less.
    Haha. Except for that one guitar guy.

The one guy who comes up to look at my pedalboard in the break and looks *really* disappointed.

He’d notice.

Les Paul with f holes tho. This is a thing I actually like aesthetically. I tried one too and we got on great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Do you guys actually experience people giving you the stink-eye for playing the wrong guitar?

John
    If cats do not know you and see you pull out a Lester on a jazz gig, I think they (by experience) can be concerned that:

A. You are a fusion player and will be too loud and play too many notes or;

B. You are a rock/blues player and every solo is going to be a bunch of pentatonic licks whether they fit or not.

I am doing my part to dispel those myths.

User Info Menu

Haha. Except for that one guitar guy.

The one guy who comes up to look at my pedalboard in the break and looks *really* disappointed.

He’d notice.

Les Paul with f holes tho. This is a thing I actually like aesthetically. I tried one too and we got on great.
    Actually, I get more guitar guys (and others) come up to talk to me when I play the Lester than when I play one of my 175's. Everyone has seen a Lester (thank you Jimmy Page) but f hole archtops are rare birds in the guitar world these days. And that is why Gibson, the company who invented them has pretty much abandoned them.

User Info Menu

You use whatever tools work for you. The rest is conversation.

User Info Menu

... Obviously there are limits. A Flying V has a great tone for jazz, but I don’t think we can expect even enlightened horn players to let that one go. ...
    V's are terrible for jazz. Explorers, on the other hand, REWL for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    V's are terrible for jazz. Explorers, on the other hand, REWL for jazz.
    Having owned a V and an Explorer, I would say they are equally good for jazz. If you like the way they look, go for it. Just be sure you do not forget your strap.

User Info Menu

If cats do not know you and see you pull out a Lester on a jazz gig, I think they (by experience) can be concerned that:

A. You are a fusion player and will be too loud and play too many notes or;

B. You are a rock/blues player and every solo is going to be a bunch of pentatonic licks whether they fit or not.

I am doing my part to dispel those myths.
    With the caveat that I'm not a busy working pro (just do occasional gigs of various kinds of music), not my experience at all. I've never had anyone care one way or another about what I play, beyond other guitar players nerding out, or non-guitar players liking the way a guitar looks (for some reason, my Godin Kingpin draws wolf whistles).

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    (for some reason, my Godin Kingpin draws wolf whistles).

John
    Cuz they're SEXY.

Call for moratorium on 335s-20190519_162126-jpg

That's mine posing on my equally hawt Ford Focus.

Sorry ladies, I'm taken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Cuz they're SEXY.
    That's mine posing on my equally hawt Ford Focus.
    Sorry ladies, I'm taken.
    I thought you drove a Pacer.
    My Gremlin is in the shop. Can't get the smell of creamed corn out, dammit.
    In the meantime, I drive a fancy-ass, hyooge (well, technically, it's classified as "mid-sized", but it's got manly body-on-frame construction, not that effete uni-body shit that you can't actually take off-road) SUV, because it attracts pussy like you wouldn't believe:
    Attached Images Attached Images Call for moratorium on 335s-meaow_174252-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.

User Info Menu

When I get my Les Paul Recording out at a jazz gig I unusually get bewildered looks from the 'guitar experts' at the gig who think it's some kind of weird home-made creation with a Gibson neck on it.

On another occasion I had a guitar expert (I suspect a noodler of the pentatonic variety) tell me that my MIJ Fender '62 Custom Telecaster is NOT a real Telecaster.

My friend with an ES-335 used to get dreamy-eyed glazes from similar characters.