Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

do those strings come with a training bra?
    White belt
    My Youtube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Haha, good story.

Well I don’t have any friends and if I did they would be woke millennials. ;-)
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Man, Christian, two angry, rant-posts in a day?! Are you ok??
    Why is this unusual?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I feel uncomfortable with the reference to Christian as a "young thruster".

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I feel both complimented and vaguely dirty

User Info Menu

I find after playing the TI JS112 Swing set for a while, other manufacturer's sets with 12 on top often feel stiff to me.

I was debating on trying a D'addario round wound set with 11 on top, however I find myself wondering if the typical archtop bridge will stay in place if I go to an 11 round wound set.

I find that my picking hand likes a string that's a little more flexible.

User Info Menu

Wasn't it Jim Hall who played .09s?
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

In his 80s Hall played very light strings. Happens to us all.

User Info Menu

I'm 70 now, and I have noticed a bit of diminishing hand strength - but no hand stamina or RSI issues - in recent years. I've played 11's or 12's - depending on the guitar - for the past 20 years or so.

10's now feel fine to my left hand, but way too flexible to my picking hand. 13's just don't seem to be required, but I have played archtops with flatwound 13's that played like butter. You can set the action really low without buzzing when using thick stiff flatwounds if the guitar is set up well.

In an interesting contrast to Danielle's preference stated above, I find that my picking hand likes a string that is less flexible. If hand issues become a problem down the road, I'm sure I could get used to 10's if necessary. But in that case, I'd probably end up focusing more on tenor ukulele, which is physically much easier to hold and play (and jazz ukulele is a really nice niche).
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

User Info Menu

.010? .011? Please. We nylon-string types use a .028 for a 1st string. And that's light-gauge. Don't f*ck with us. Pat Martino? Sissy-boy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz View Post
    .010? .011? Please. We nylon-string types use a .028 for a 1st string. And that's light-gauge. Don't f*ck with us. Pat Martino? Sissy-boy.
    Yeah but your strings are made out of frickin plastic.

I suppose guts sounds tougher but in reality everyone’s too disgusted because of the stickiness....*

*bass players are demented

User Info Menu

You're all wimps. This guy .19 to .68, well...

Check video at 21:10, ha

B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I feel uncomfortable with the reference to Christian as a "young thruster".

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Patently ridiculous , the OP use of the term has no other connotations, it means in brief. “ One who goes forward , bravely
    ( The Oxford English Dictionary )
    nothing untoward there !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997 View Post
    This was long before Amazon, and when even 2 decades later, to get hold of the ( paper) Real Book you had to go to a certain shop in Ealing and mumble furtively to the bloke who had them stored under the counter.
    I remember getting my first Real Book at Zaverelli's music store in Alexandria, VA in the 70's. My teacher brought me in and we went up to the counter, waited until no one was around, kind of whispered to the guy behind the counter, who put the book in a paper bag and slid it across the counter to me. I slid back the cash and off we went, looking around to make sure we weren't "made". I wasn't that secretive when I bought weed!

User Info Menu

Hogrider,

Same circumstances, same store, same era for me.

User Info Menu

Dear Deadre,

Following a few twinges in my fretting hand and a changeover to a more slurred technique I have started moving down a gauge or so in most of my string set ups, down to as little as .11 roundwounds on my telecaster.

The problem is all the macho bebop players are kicking sand in my face and laughing at my wimpy little stick fingers. Even Pasquale Grasso apparently uses gauge .21s made of barbed wire (flatwound of course) and he is the Yngwie Malmsteen of bebop.

What shall I do? I fear I will never have mighty sausage fingers like Jimmy Bruno and I've been lured away by the legato siren song of the filthy likes of Mike Moreno. I feel I'm in danger of losing all my bebop street cred.

I'm badly in need of guidance and especially validation.

Yours,

The wimpy bopper.
    Deadre here,

I'm afraid the common arts are not my forte in which to pass constructive emotional advice so I have asked my good friend Marjorie 'Jazzbow' Proops to help...

Suck it up Chrissy Sevenseven.

Wimpy strings-wimpy_hamburger_cartoon_revised-jpg

Wimpy strings-s-l300-jpg
    Heh heh heh heh!
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Well surely the reason we started stringing them so heavy was to deal with that whole ‘hey man can I borrow your guitar, I got a song’ situation.
    Yep... stringing my pink strat with 12s was a sure way to keep most people from trying to play it.

User Info Menu

AND...that pink Stratocaster is going to sound great!