Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Just interested in "spitballing" some ideas.

Characteristics
    Passive.
    Warmth.
    Clarity regardless of pick attack.
    A "singing" type tone that can be compensated with tone knob.
    Singing in a sense that it rings out with a strumming of the strings, harp like.

Constants
    11/12 round wound strings.
    Maple/neck body, non hollowbody.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 06-03-2019 at 03:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmm, tricky ... given all that, I'd say a tele neck (or P-90, although they tend to change with your picking).

User Info Menu

What about a DeArmond Dynasonic?

I've got my eyes on a Lollar Imperial Low Wind myself... anything to get rid of the mud for good.

User Info Menu

Maple neck/body solidbody is bright, tame it with low output paf humbucker clone.

User Info Menu

Duncan 59

Classic 57

User Info Menu

I am with Cosmic and Stringswinger: a nice PAF-type pickup, not too high up against the strings, let it 'breathe'. Be sure to use a 500k tone pot, not 300 or 250. And good quality wiring be careful for cheap wiring with too much capacitance, it will suck up that 'harp-like ringing'.

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

The closest to the provided description is a nickel-covered, A3-modded Seymour Duncan '59n. That's exactly what's on my ES-339 right now.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Maple neck/body solidbody is bright, tame it with low output paf humbucker clone.
    Jerry Amalfitano is making me one right now!

User Info Menu

Yes I was thinking an Imperial low wind.
    Anybody have experience with these?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    What about a DeArmond Dynasonic?

I've got my eyes on a Lollar Imperial Low Wind myself... anything to get rid of the mud for good.

User Info Menu

A3-modded?

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak View Post
    The closest to the provided description is a nickel-covered, A3-modded Seymour Duncan '59n. That's exactly what's on my ES-339 right now.

User Info Menu

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    I am with Cosmic and Stringswinger: a nice PAF-type pickup, not too high up against the strings, let it 'breathe'. Be sure to use a 500k tone pot, not 300 or 250. And good quality wiring be careful for cheap wiring with too much capacitance, it will suck up that 'harp-like ringing'.

User Info Menu

How do you feel about the resistor to prevent losing the treble tone as you turn down the volume?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    How do you feel about the resistor to prevent losing the treble tone as you turn down the volume?
    A treble bleed? I don’t have that on my guitars, but I use fifties wiring, where the pots are very interactive. When I turn down volume, I turn up treble and vice versa. It’s quirky but I got used to it and prefer it now.

But I guess a modern wiring with treble bleed would more or less guarantee a consistent tone at every volume level: you set the treble once and and would be able to change volume and keep the same tone. Seems very practical actually ;-)

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

You don't really need the treble bleed circuit if you wire it right. The Benedetto wiring scheme gives very much the same tone regardless of where you set the volume control. I rewire all my guitars that way. I don't like having to futz with the controls just because the volume is a little too high or low.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Dynasonic
    great (and underrated) jazz pickup that has all the qualities you describe.
    Fundamentally fat sounding, but lots of clarity and string separation.

User Info Menu

know you are talking low wind pafs...dimarzio actually makes one that's well regarded...gibson burstbucker too..the II...i think

But, just for nothin'

a great pickup, (besides dynasonic....agreed)..is leo's jazzmaster pickup...it was his p90 variation..with tweaks...and it was brilliant!..a wide bobbin low wind single coil with alnico mag polepieces...so gets the warmth, but also the single note snap and clarity...that most humbuckers filter out...

leo (& squad)=true genius

cheers

User Info Menu

Problem is, how do you acquire a DeArmond Dynasonic? I know Gretsch is making them in house--how do those compare to the real deal? I was thinking of switching out my crappy SH AZ 48 pup for either a Lollar Imperial (either low wind or regular) or finding a way to get my hands on a Dyna--hopefully they fit a standard bucker housing and ring.

Those dynas though, holey smoley--what a pristine, singing, and bright tone--yet still warm enough for that "jazz" sound. Someone's in the kitchen with Dyna indeed!

btw--I was looking for the 2000 Dyna.

Reverb is selling a used one for 400 smackers--but I dunno how I feel about buying an old pup. An old gitter, yes. But an old pup--there's all these variables with wiring--and that's if the pup even works to begin with.

User Info Menu

Dynobucker - Seymour Duncan Custom Shop

Seymour Duncan makes DynoBuckers...tempting.

However, the demo doesn't show how these pups sound clean.

Anyone try em?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Gabojo Lab in Greece make a fine Dynasonic , available in HB and P-90 size too

User Info Menu

tv jones is the current dyna champ...has been for a while..great pickup maker...he sources magnets from same company gretsch did decades ago!!! ultra-hardcore like that

he makes them in different mounts as well

Products Tagged "T-Armond" - TV Jones

duncan dyna in humbucker mount is super nice as well..seymour tweaked it from true spec

tho nothin' wrong with zollar 48...that design (tho completely different) was attempting to do similar thing- tone wise..have clean crisp top end that humbuckers don't...try pickup height adjusts and rolling back vol/tone knobs...change vol/tone pot values...bill lawrence was the tech behind zollar...and bill lawrence was probably the greatest pickup scientist ever!! he taught kent armstrong!...designed pickups for many major guitar manufacturers(gibson, framus, etc)..a true legend

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    In this video, I prefer the SD's to the TVJ's.... however, after a terrible experience with the SD custom shop I will never do that again.

Here's a video of the TVJ neck T-Armond, which is his Dearmond/Dynasonic designed to fit in a Filtertron rout... he makes them in several different mounting options tho: it's demonstrates the "twang" they can have but also I think shows very well how fat, tight, and clear they can be as well:

User Info Menu

A3-modded?
    Yes: a '59n but with an Alnico 3 magnet, instead of the stock Alnico 5 magnet.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    after a terrible experience with the SD custom shop I will never do that again
    Care to share your experience with the rest of us, Ruger?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak View Post
    Care to share your experience with the rest of us, Ruger?

I hate trashing people online, I know alot of people have had fine experiences with them, but mine was awful- and I was even dealing with the legendary MJ directly. AND I had a forum friend (another forum) who had connections there (he used to work there), and that didn't help either.

Long story short: I wasn't a "star", so I got less care & attention, terrible customer service. Defective pickup, took forever to rectify, etc. I'll never order from the CS again. Off-the-rack, I'll still buy.. SD makes great stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    I hate trashing people online, I know alot of people have had fine experiences with them, but mine was awful- and I was even dealing with the legendary MJ directly. AND I had a forum friend (another forum) who had connections there (he used to work there), and that didn't help either.

Long story short: I wasn't a "star", so I got less care & attention, terrible customer service. Defective pickup, took forever to rectify, etc. I'll never order from the CS again. Off-the-rack, I'll still buy.. SD makes great stuff.
    Sorry to hear that, but it's no secret that Duncan's customer service is NOT the best there is out there.

I'm not clear what you mean when you say "awful" and "defective p'up", so if you care to contact me via PM, I'll be happy to hear your story in detail.

Yours very truly,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

Just interested in "spitballing" some ideas.

Characteristics
    Passive.
    Warmth.
    Clarity regardless of pick attack.
    A "singing" type tone that can be compensated with tone knob.
    Singing in a sense that it rings out with a strumming of the strings, harp like.

Constants
    11/12 round wound strings.
    Maple/neck body, non hollowbody.
    Sounds like you’re describing the model that’s no longer in production, but can be had by extensive internet searching, waiting, and extreme over bidding, along with paying outrageous international shipping expenses. Supposed to sound pretty good, in some guitars, but not so much in others
    Ignorance is agony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
    Sounds like you’re describing the model that’s no longer in production, but can be had by extensive internet searching, waiting, and extreme over bidding, along with paying outrageous international shipping expenses. Supposed to sound pretty good, in some guitars, but not so much in others
    What exactly are you referring to?

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

has anyone heard of these:

The Preachers PAF Set – Tyson Tone Lab Guitar Pickups

Tim Pierce spoke about them on his channel