Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

User Info Menu

I bought this guitar from Eastman in 2017. I have been struggling with several issues since it arrived. The biggest was the floating pickup. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the routed pickup. As it turned out the only pickup that would fit was a pickup made by Krivos pickups. The guitar came with the Krivos 12 pole humbucker. I went through a couple of versions without much success. Let me say that Jason at Krivos pickups has been a joy to work with during this process.

I was going to have this guitar routed to accept a conventional built in pickup e.g. KA 12 pole. But I decided to check out Jason again and I discovered he made a smaller version designed more for archtops. So rather than route the guitar I ordered Jason's pickup. With the pickup being smaller I decided to have a new pickguard made and replace the original tone and volume pots with Schatten under the pickguard tone and volume pots. I had some Thuya Burl that I had purchased for another guitar so I decided to use that and replace the ebony tailpiece as well.

My friend and talented guitar builder Tom Lyons fabricated, finished and installed the pickguard, pickup and tailpiece. I'm pretty pleased with the results. Tom did a great job and the is Jason's best pickup yet. So for those who need a very thin pickup, I heartily recommend that you check out Krivos pickups.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Pickup,Pickguard & Tailpiece for ElRey4-eastman-el-rey-4-custom-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice!!! you and tom made that guitar come alive!! visually anyway!!! poppin!

the burl is beautiful...and durable!

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

I've always liked the look of the El Rey line, but that's on another level. Love that combination of woods.
    Jared

User Info Menu

Yes, that's a fine looking guitar.

Thanks guys or gals, I've had a frustrating experience with this guitar but I'm finally getting there. I've had the Thuya burl for a while and was saving the wood for a small bodied flattop but have come slowly to the realization that I'm just not a flattop guy. I have one good one and its enough. So when it came time to change the pickguard, I thought the burl would look good with the finish. And I like it. On this guitar I also use a String Butler because Eastman's headstock is just to wide and too flared and IMO results in tuning issues. Eastman must think the same thing because some of their 2019 models have a redesigned headstock.

User Info Menu

I have a string butler on my Eastman also, and on my big 18" Wu. Excellent device.

User Info Menu

Rob, That looks great! I have always had hankering for one of those. Yours is a piece of artwork. Really beautiful. I’m glad you on your way to working out it’s issues.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft View Post
    Thanks guys or gals, I've had a frustrating experience with this guitar but I'm finally getting there. I've had the Thuya burl for a while and was saving the wood for a small bodied flattop but have come slowly to the realization that I'm just not a flattop guy. I have one good one and its enough. So when it came time to change the pickguard, I thought the burl would look good with the finish. And I like it. On this guitar I also use a String Butler because Eastman's headstock is just to wide and too flared and IMO results in tuning issues. Eastman must think the same thing because some of their 2019 models have a redesigned headstock.