The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I am looking to spend $300 - $500 on an archtop to play around the house, bring on family vacations, etc. I want something that sounds half decent and is comfortable to play, but mainly where I can not worry about anything happening to it. We have a 13 month old who is learning to walk and get into everything, so I would love to leave the Gibsons and the Benedetto in their cases for safe keeping.

It doesn't need a pickup, but having one is fine too. Looking at the Gretsch New Yorker, Epiphone Century Masterbuilts, etc. I will hardly ever play plugged in so hoping for better acoustic tone
    Last edited by Paulie2; 05-25-2019 at 04:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

An Epi Joe Pass or Ibanez AF series.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    I am looking to spend $300 - $500 on an archtop to play around the house, bring on family vacations, etc. I want something that sounds half decent and is comfortable to play, but mainly where I can not worry about anything happening to it. We have a 13 month old who is learning to walk and get into everything, so I would love to leave the Gibsons and the Benedetto in their cases for safe keeping.

It doesn't need a pickup, but having one is fine too. Looking at the Gretsch New Yorker, Epiphone Century Masterbuilts, etc. I will hardly ever play plugged in so hoping for better acoustic tone
    Used Godin Kingpin (a little outside your price range new)8. Acoustically, it's not as loud as a true acoustic guitar, but louder than most other laminate electrics, with a tone that's quite good. Way better than a Gretsch New Yorker, IMO. Not as good acoustically as an Epi Masterbilt but infinitely better plugged in. I use mine unplugged at home all the time. Plugged in, it completely holds its own as a legit electric archtop.

John

User Info Menu

Something like a Loar LH-600 will get you much farther acoustically. This one even has a DeArmond Reissue RC1000 on it.

The Loar LH-600-VS Hand-Carved Archtop Vintage Sunburst w/Pickup and OHSC The Loar LH-600-VS Hand-Carved Archtop Vintage Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

If you like vintage with old school vibe and feel, you might consider a non-cutaway Harmony like a 50's Patrician. Probably have to play it to make sure you get a good one, but there'd be plenty in your price range. (Also, a Gibson 30's L-30 is a great size for a couch guitar but most are probably outside of your budget.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    ... Looking at the Gretsch New Yorker, Epiphone Century Masterbuilts, etc. I will hardly ever play plugged in so hoping for better acoustic tone
    I am liking the Guilds that I have. Korean build quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    If you like vintage with old school vibe and feel, you might consider a non-cutaway Harmony like a 50's Patrician. Probably have to play it to make sure you get a good one, but there'd be plenty in your price range. (Also, a Gibson 30's L-30 is a great size for a couch guitar but most are probably outside of your budget.)

I would LOVE an L-30. It’s perfect but yes might be a little nicer than what I’m attempting to buy. Would be afraid to use it like I intend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Something like a Loar LH-600 will get you much farther acoustically. This one even has a DeArmond Reissue RC1000 on it.

The Loar LH-600-VS Hand-Carved Archtop Vintage Sunburst w/Pickup and OHSC The Loar LH-600-VS Hand-Carved Archtop Vintage Sunburst | Reverb
    Definitely keeping these in mind. They are just a TOUCH over what I want to spend but it might be worth it. Anyone familiar with the necks on these?

User Info Menu

Big ol V.

I couldn't deal with the neck, so I sold it, but it was a GREAT guitar.

User Info Menu

A Loar LH650 w/o the V neck of the LH600 would be the best acoustic bet. Solid guitar with a voice.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-26-2019 at 12:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Big ol V.

I couldn't deal with the neck, so I sold it, but it was a GREAT guitar.
    I was just reading about that too. It might be a deal breaker for me as well. I would prefer something with a more standard C shape so when I do play the Gibson’s or Benedetto at a gig they feel like what I was practicing on. For some reason switching back and forth between a C and chunky V or vice versa has always thrown me off.

User Info Menu

Plus one on a vintage Harmony, lots of them around and some even have carved tops.

User Info Menu

Has been mentioned by others. One without p/u sounds great with bronze strings.

User Info Menu

I like the Ibanez AK95DVS with the laminated spruce top. It makes a nice "couch" guitar as you can hear yourself and it is not going to be loud enough to annoy anyone else with your playing.

The AK95DVS is discontinued but you can find them used. Look for a laminated spruce top Ibanez Artcore; the model number changes with each new catalogue year if you want to buy it new.

The best thing you can do is to give it a good set up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    Plus one on a vintage Harmony, lots of them around and some even have carved tops.

I thought Harmonys were solid wood but pressed, not carved ( ? ).....

And if the OP wanted to do some digging I did see a dealer at the recent Chicago guitar show with at least a dozen old Harmonys for sale......They were priced around $400. +/-. He may have been from Missouri.

Good luck !

User Info Menu

If it's got to be a archtop, you have had some great recommendations already. However you might also consider a Cigano GJG or Gitane. Many available at low prices, lots of players that want to get into the style purchase them and either upgrade or sell-check Craigslist.
    Although with it's price tag it's not really a Beach guitar, my Dupont MC-30 14 fret gets couch and campfire duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images Recommend a "couch" archtop for me-thumbnail_mark20carlisle-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    I like these. My fear is they likely need to be played to check quality and likely won’t come across any in person here

User Info Menu

Any one have experience with the electric Loars with the C shaped neck? Are they still carved/decent sounding acoustic?

User Info Menu

I currently have a Loar LH600 and like it a lot and have gotten used to the V-neck. QC on the Loars is iffy, but the 600s and 700s seem to have a little more care taken. I've also had a LH-350 that wasn't too bad quality wise and sounded pretty good for an inexpensive, solid top with a floater and a C shaped neck. But, when you ask about a "couch" guitar, I think of something a little smaller and more comfortable to play and there's not much out there in that category. The Epi Masterbilt Olympic was a big disappointment. But, I once had a little Gretsch G3900 that fits the bill, and shouldn't have sold. 15" lower bout was very comfortable on the couch and though with an all laminated maple top and body was pretty bright sounding, it worked fine unplugged. Main downside is the single coil pickup that couldn't get a good traditional jazz sound, but wasn't awful if you turned down the tone a lot. Hard to find and the prices are all over the place, but might be worth taking a chance on.

Gretsch Historic Series G3900 1999 Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

New, you can probably find a Loar LH-300 at that price. I had one, and considered keeping it as a “beater” when I bought my LH-700.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBrumson
    I currently have a Loar LH600 and like it a lot and have gotten used to the V-neck. QC on the Loars is iffy, but the 600s and 700s seem to have a little more care taken. I've also had a LH-350 that wasn't too bad quality wise and sounded pretty good for an inexpensive, solid top with a floater and a C shaped neck. But, when you ask about a "couch" guitar, I think of something a little smaller and more comfortable to play and there's not much out there in that category. The Epi Masterbilt Olympic was a big disappointment. But, I once had a little Gretsch G3900 that fits the bill, and shouldn't have sold. 15" lower bout was very comfortable on the couch and though with an all laminated maple top and body was pretty bright sounding, it worked fine unplugged. Main downside is the single coil pickup that couldn't get a good traditional jazz sound, but wasn't awful if you turned down the tone a lot. Hard to find and the prices are all over the place, but might be worth taking a chance on.

Thanks! This looks like a cool little option. I’m going to do some digging on it. Might be better than the New Yorker I was looking at

User Info Menu

I also had a reissue New Yorker for a bit. Been through a bunch of moderately priced archtops, both electric and acoustic. My New Yorker had some structural issues with the bracing that weren't worth having addressed as it just didn't have a lot going for it acoustically with the pressed spruce top. Looked good on paper, just didn't live up to it's potential. The Loar LH-300s have that V shaped neck and are very hit and miss quality wise. Tried more misses than hits when I was looking. If I knew more about the potential issues with a vintage Harmony, Silvertone, etc. I would love to have one. Just afraid of finding out it needs a neck reset or has a sunken top that scares me away.

User Info Menu

I also had a reissue New Yorker for a bit. Been through a bunch of moderately priced archtops, both electric and acoustic. My New Yorker had some structural issues with the bracing that weren't worth having addressed as it just didn't have a lot going for it acoustically with the pressed spruce top. Looked good on paper, just didn't live up to it's potential. The Loar LH-300s have that V shaped neck and are very hit and miss quality wise. Tried more misses than hits when I was looking. If I knew more about the potential issues with a vintage Harmony, Silvertone, etc. I would love to have one. Just afraid of finding out it needs a neck reset or has a sunken top that scares me away.
    Same! I would love those as well, but the thought of buying online scares me

User Info Menu

Read nothing but stellar reviews on these. I made a below ask offer on Reverb and they accepted instantly. Now hopefully the transaction is smooth. Thanks for all the help everyone I will let you know how it is when it arrives

User Info Menu

Hope it suits you Paulie. If not, let me know. I may want one again.