The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

To add to the advice above, I tried coating the pickguard of a 60s blonde L5CES with lacquer, to slow down the rot that had already turned the gold plating green. The pickguard had already crystallised, and coating it didn't work. Your case may be different, but I wouldn't expect it to work other than very briefly. Possibly submerging it in thick epoxy might work, but it's much simpler to buy a repro guard.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When a gassing pickguard begins to sweat it is like a powerful acid. One droplet onto the top it will burn right through the lacquer into the wood.

If you don’t believe our advice call a expert like Frank Ford of frets.com or Joe Vinikow of archtop.com.

Risking a L5 to save $100.00 ?

Owning a L5 is a privilege and you are to be a good steward of ownership for the next generation it goes to.

User Info Menu

One thing I realized is, I called it lacquer. It's really not that. It's varnish. The kind of varnish that can completely seal blue mold on a wall and stop it from spreading.

It's a sealant designed to penetrate the pores if the nitro celluloid and seal it. Not that this will make any difference to any of you.

Again, I appreciate all the input.

79 Gibson L-5CES Pickguard gassed out causing corrosion.-20190620_144800-jpg

User Info Menu

I failed to realize - until reading this thread - that this was happening to my ‘76 L5.

Pickguard removed and paper-bagged; seeking a replacement.

User Info Menu

Warren C: yours looks exactly like mine. "Tobacco Burst"?

But my p/u covers are way more tarnished from the old PG.

User Info Menu

Real Gibson pickguard brackets don’t have those acorn nuts. See my attached picture of a genuine Gibson bracket. I ended up buying vintage brackets on eBay when I needed them. Having said that, the bracket can usually be salvaged and re-used when you replace a gassing pickguard. A slightly tarnished gold one looks better to me than a shiny new one that has an acorn nut.
    Keith

79 Gibson L-5CES Pickguard gassed out causing corrosion.-94c38164-0bdc-4a5d-a207-182be425b604-jpeg

User Info Menu

I have had 2 pickguards disentigrate on my L5 and ruin surrounding hardware. Gibson gave me the runaround about too long in the case etc. B.s. they need to make a better product. I have 1964 and 65 Gibson humming bird and 12 string pick guards are fine. I had my frien make me a wooden one from asian teak beautiful. Take that pickguard off. I kept mine in air conditioned house played it often. Gibson gave me my first one with little argument second one they are like pulling hen's teeth to get them to stand by their warranty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Get rid of the pickguard they are hazardous materials. Will eat and destroy all in contact. They can actually catch fire but never seen it happen. If you need a replacement i can make they to fit with ABS plastic no more problems i have a variety of colors and patterns. I even have one already made for L5.
    Hi do you still make these? Let me know I would like one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Darn, really? Case can be toxic? Oh boy..... so buying old cases can be tricky then! You never know if they didn't contain outgassing p/gs for many years....
    Use carpet shampoo on case lining put out in sun with case open no prob.

User Info Menu

I can pm me for details.