Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about replacing the Korean Kent Armstrong in my Epi HR with one of these. Anybody have any experience with either? I've looked at some reviews on YouTube, and there's not a lot of difference I can tell with sound, but I wonder if the 1000 might have more tendency to feedback considering its microphonic property vs. the poles in the 1100.
    Guitars:
    1975 Guild Artist Award
    1986 Guild X-170
    1975 Guild Mark V
    1930s Metro B archtop
    1995 Epi Howard Roberts Custom
    1999 Godin ACS Nylon with synth
    ??? Giannini 7 string classical

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I got the RC 1000 RI specifically because it would look better on my vintage Harmony with its chrome appointments.

I don't regret it. I think adjustable pole-pieces are overrated.

I have not heard the RC 1000 is more microphonic, but that's something I was looking for. Feedback is no more an issue than with other guitars with floaters IMO.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.

User Info Menu

The RC 1000 works great on my Godin 5th Avenue with 80/20 bronze strings. No balance problem. I have not experienced feedback.

User Info Menu

I have an 1100 on my Wu, secured to the top with Blu-tack, and have had no feedback probems at all. I really like it.

User Info Menu

I have a 1100 on a Gretsch G400C and I love it. This pickup leaves absolutely nothing to be desired, at least by me. Tone to die for and perfectly adjustable. I have played a luthier handmade small archtop in the style of a Guild Aristocrat with a carved spruce top that has a 1000 on it. Don't like it at all, to my ears it does not transfer the wonderful acoustic sound of this instrument to an electric sound. But that may be just me. I have never played both pickups on the same guitar, which would be necessary to really compare them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I have not heard the RC 1000 is more microphonic, but that's something I was looking for. Feedback is no more an issue than with other guitars with floaters IMO.
    Here's a demo that demos the microphone properties of the 1000, starts at about 0:35:
    Guitars:
    1975 Guild Artist Award
    1986 Guild X-170
    1975 Guild Mark V
    1930s Metro B archtop
    1995 Epi Howard Roberts Custom
    1999 Godin ACS Nylon with synth
    ??? Giannini 7 string classical

User Info Menu

If space is tight, I think the 1100 is a bit taller due to the pole pieces.

User Info Menu

DeArmond reissues 1000 vs. 1100-07e77a4f-2487-4494-acf3-e01e399c3afc-jpg

Sounds great with an acoustic amp like the Fishman.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake”--Friedrich Nietzsche

Current lineup: Gibson ES-135 ('02), Peerless Sunset, Harmony Brilliant Cutaway ('64), Godin 5th Avenue, Alvarez AC60 A/E classical, Kay K37 ('56), Fender Squier VM Jazz bass, several ukes. Amps: Fishman Artist, Fender SCXD, Pignose 7-100.