Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

User Info Menu

Just got a new DV Mark 208 cabinet that will run mono at 8 ohms, both speakers or L and R stereo at 16 ohms each side.

There re are three inputs in the back with no labels. Anyone know what inputs are used for each configuration?

thanks,

tom

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The left one is Mono-8Ohm/Left-16Ohm, the middle one is Right-16Ohm.

So left is mono, left & center are stereo.

The right one is to link another cab in parallel for 4Ohm, but I have no idea about how that works. Best to send them a note.

WS
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

Thanks!

i looked again and the plate above the inputs explains which is which but not the ohm rating for the daisy chaining.

i have emailed DV mark.

tom

PS - Cab sounds really nice. Stereo separation is so so as expected since the speakers are so close.

User Info Menu

Just a little trivia aside, many people assume that 2-8" speakers have more cone area than 1-12" speaker. Not so!
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    Just a little trivia aside, many people assume that 2-8" speakers have more cone area than 1-12" speaker. Not so!
    mathematically you're correct but I've found that 2x8 cabs have a much wider dispersion than a single 12" speaker. Not sure why but I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that you've got an overall radiating area that is effectively larger than just the surface area of the individual speakers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    mathematically you're correct but I've found that 2x8 cabs have a much wider dispersion than a single 12" speaker. Not sure why but I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that you've got an overall radiating area that is effectively larger than just the surface area of the individual speakers.
    Absolutely. But what if you stand the 2-8 cab vertically?

Another interesting comparison is, even though the cone surface area of 2-8 is less than 1-12, the total circumference is bigger. Math is weird. I better go revisit G-E-B.

my twin 8 is a vertical tower. It's kind of hard to compare because with the RE 2x8 tower, the speakers are really great. Much better quality motors than a typical guitar 12 and for me personally, the 8 represents guitar tone better than a 12 without all the woofyness and the porting on the RE cab makes up for the speaker itself not having as low a freq response as most 12s. It's also less feedback prone. And a 2x8 vertical radiating area still covers more surface than single 12. Of course, my other 4 1x12 cabs are open back so those sound different as well but I had an RE 1x12 a while back and felt like the 2x8 was better.

Another point, I don't like the 8s as well for overdriven tones. Nothing's perfect...

User Info Menu

Everything is a compromise of some sort. One has to find the compromise that works best personally. I don't use overdrive much, so that doesn't bother me. I like 8" speakers a lot. A 10" is a good compromise for some, and I have one I like, but an 8" sounds as good and is more transportable. I had a RE 6/8 that I sold because I had too many cabs, and I sort of miss it. I think it would sound great with my current archtop.