The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I'm currently in discussions with a seller for a Aria Herb Ellis. It's in decent shape except for the below.

Can anyone tell me about the possible cost to repair/replace this Binding?

Thanks in advance!
    Binding issue on Aria Herb Ellis-received_771796983326107-jpgBinding issue on Aria Herb Ellis-received_385223252083304-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, the binding is in poor shape. I've seen much worse, however, on most Gretsch guitars from the 60s.

Have you purchased the guitar? If not, you might think about taking a pass. The first picture shows a bit of the fingerboard extension. Their just appears to be a bit of guitar string in the upper right corner of the shot. The suggestion in the picture is that there is a significant gap between the fingerboard and the strings in that area. Over time, the "fall off" of the fingerboard extension can change, producing this gap. Or, the neck can develop a shallower angle, necessitating an eventual neck reset. If the guitar's action from frets one to twelve is pretty good, then the situation is more likely to be extension fall of than it is to be a neck angle issue.

Still, there may be more going on with this guitar than just binding issues.

User Info Menu

I don't know what the guitar is worth but replacing binding around the body without damaging the finish can be tricky. I would say just without knowing anything else and one piece of plain white binding all around the whole body. $125. If it is layed with more than one it could be double that amount so my figure is the lowest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I don't know what the guitar is worth but replacing binding around the body without damaging the finish can be tricky. I would say just without knowing anything else and one piece of plain white binding all around the whole body. $125. If it is layed with more than one it could be double that amount so my figure is the lowest.
    You need to move to Florida! I doubt I could get anyone to do the binding on just the head for that much down here, and at that I'd expect a crappy job :-)

User Info Menu

$125??
    That's at least $750-1000 in the big city.
    I need to move near you Deacon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    $125??
    That's at least $750-1000 in the big city.
    I need to move near you Deacon!
    The guitar is not worth fixing if you have to pay that much for sure. That assumes in simple layer and frankly from my perspective the repair to make it perfect is probably not worth the trouble.

This guitar in excellent condition is not worth more than $1000-1300 maybe if that. Not in this case but i get many repairs for guitars that are not worth the repair. The usual is a broken neck or headstock on a $200 flattop. I get lots of requests for those, i give them my take.

User Info Menu

I'd pass on that guitar. Binding rot will continue over time. I've seen it start to chip and fall off if left unrepaired. And repairing it properly can be very expensive as noted above.

One cosmetic 'fix' is to have a professional lightly sand/level the entire binding; then apply a clear coat of either lacquer or some type of super glue. The cracks and yellowing will still be seen, but the surface may be more uniform, but still a bit rough to the touch.

Nothing will get rid of the unsightly cracked binding except an expensive complete removal and replacement. That said, why not keep your eye out for another guitar with fewer issues?

User Info Menu

I have an Aria Herb Ellis and it's a killer guitar. However, I'd pass on this one. They don't come up a ton, but they also aren't super rare guitars. I'd hold out. I bet you can find one in fantastic condition within the next couple months if that's what you're specifically looking for.

The one I found at a local used guitar shop was (is) in excellent+ condition and I got it for around $700. They even threw in a set of TI GBs!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Yeah, the binding is in poor shape. I've seen much worse, however, on most Gretsch guitars from the 60s.

Have you purchased the guitar? If not, you might think about taking a pass. The first picture shows a bit of the fingerboard extension. Their just appears to be a bit of guitar string in the upper right corner of the shot. The suggestion in the picture is that there is a significant gap between the fingerboard and the strings in that area. Over time, the "fall off" of the fingerboard extension can change, producing this gap. Or, the neck can develop a shallower angle, necessitating an eventual neck reset. If the guitar's action from frets one to twelve is pretty good, then the situation is more likely to be extension fall of than it is to be a neck angle issue.

Still, there may be more going on with this guitar than just binding issues.

Wow! Thank you so much for the insight. You guys know you're stuff so well and the willingness to share and help is pretty special.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in!

User Info Menu

Probably only worth replacing the binding if you are doing it yourself. Unless it is falling off, I'd leave it as is. Is it causing a problem? On another forum people would pay to find out how to get that "look."
    Binding issue on Aria Herb Ellis-img_0868-jpg