Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 91

User Info Menu

GREAT News ! Mark C. joined JGF. Our buddy Steve L. got him to join. Thanks Steve and Mark will be a awesome addition around here. His archtop knowledge is far beyond expert status. Now we have 2 great builders as members. Mark Campellone and Matt Cushman. Yipeee

Mark Campellone Guitars-786612e3-55d1-4d5c-9842-eecfd73208e5-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Terrific news. Mark is a very classy guy.

Mark Campellone Guitars-105f1405-a167-4145-93b9-1bf33ea4c2f0-jpgMark Campellone Guitars-5b854893-ef67-4770-ac31-ff3dfbd43114-jpg

User Info Menu

That is great news!

For as long as I can remember all I've ever heard about his archtops are rave reviews.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

User Info Menu

That's awesome. Thanks Vinny! Also, I love your guitar. I hope you don't mind!

Mark Campellone Guitars-08b3e04f-59a6-400e-aec8-a2549dc540d4-jpg

A very happy customer. Beauty and the Beast. No cure for ugly on the left.

User Info Menu

Mark is such a great addition to the forum. He’s a real gentlemen and a fantastic guitar player as well. His instruments exhibit some of the finest workmanship you will find in a Luthier built Archtop.

I’m real happy to have reconnected with Mark . Oh , - and I’m loving my new Campellone special I recently bought from Larry W.

Mark said it was one of his best builds. It’s a 17” lower bout, 2.750 body depth with a 24-3/4 scale and a slightly thinner carved top. The instrument is all Euro woods - and its voice is resonant and real fat and smooth . It records beautifully and provides both a great acoustic finger-style and electric experience.

User Info Menu

! This is wonderful news! Well done, Steve!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Great news. I’m a big fan of Mark’s guitars. Mark built a fantastic Special for me a few years ago. Here is a picture of me playing it at a wedding reception.
    Keith
    Mark Campellone Guitars-6f60c78c-fe57-41fc-a600-89bcf8e1b621-jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard Mark Campellone. You make some really gorgeous guitars. It’s an honor to have you here.
    I am amazed how a one man shop can keep the quality level up to such a high level in every aspect of the build. And you keep your promises and deliver on time. Amazing.
    I hope you continue to believe in the future of the archtop jazz guitar. I feel that no other guitar sounds as beautiful. I hope you are still making them in a couple of years when I am in a position to buy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

....just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the kind words and warm welcome - I look forward to engaging in some good 'shop talk' - and hey Vinny, you might not be as pretty as your guitar, but ugly???.....nah : )

User Info Menu

Mark, When you actually talk to Vinny in real life, he is one of the most beautiful people you will ever meet. I am sure you know that..
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Mark, When you actually talk to Vinny in real life, he is one of the most beautiful people you will ever meet. I am sure you know that..
    JD
    Back at you bro ! and Mark your presence here is absolutely awesome. My Campellone sounds better and better every time I play it. My wife hums when I play it. She doesn’t hum when I play my L5. That’s says something right there.

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    ....just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the kind words and warm welcome - I look forward to engaging in some good 'shop talk' - and hey Vinny, you might not be as pretty as your guitar, but ugly???.....nah : )

Joe (Max405) says I look like Elmer Fudd....LOL

User Info Menu

Hi Mark. Very cool to see you here. I am still getting maximum pleasure from a blonde Special with Engelmann top and European back and sides that you built for me over 20 years ago. In your current queue is a blonde Special with quilted maple back and sides for a friend and musical cohort of mine. I brought your guitars to Tim's attention, and I'm really pleased that he bit. I am confident you will build him a stunner.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Mark. I will still continue drooling looking at your guitars on your regular web page but hearing your thoughts here will also be priceless.
    Last edited by medblues; 05-21-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

My 18 inch campy deluxe has keep me happy some 16-18 years love it. Glad to have you here I have a lot to learn.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

Sweet we now have Mark and Matt.

Steve, now you need to work on your buddies Monteleone, Trenier, and Borys and we will have a Royal Flush.
    LONG live the archtop guitar. Nothing sounds sweeter.

User Info Menu

hey deacon Mark - been a long time - thanks for chiming in!
    Last edited by MCampellone; 05-22-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Sadly you will never be filthy rich building archtop guitars though it is a very skilled art form. John D’Angelico and Jimmy D’Aquisto just got by. In 50 years like DA’s and D’AQ’s a Campellone will be worth a ton of $$$.

I will be 65 in June and Mark in August. Don’t wait too long for one of these fine specimens my friends.
    I wish I jumped onto the Campy Train a long time ago. The “G” stigma blinds a lot of us. It took me a long time to realize it is not what is on the headstock that matters.

When I was thinking of buying a Campellone Steve L. told me they sounded like a very fine 60’s L5. Steve was right.
    I like a thick top on a archtop. Mark carved it exactly like I wanted. Mine sounds very woody with the right amount of dark, articulation and definition. I use TI flats and acoustically it is a cannon. It is the only archtop I own that doesn’t need an amp to sound great. Thanks Mark for building me a Sweetie.

User Info Menu

I can understand the 'love affair' with Gibson - I've had it, too, since I was a kid. Steve L. is right - there's a lot of Gibson influence in my guitars, and it's no accident - for me, the look, feel and sound of the 50's and 60's Gibson archtops established the standard I shoot for when I build a guitar - almost everything about those guitars just seems so 'right' -

User Info Menu

Private message sent. Check the front page for private messages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post

Terrific news. Mark is a very classy guy.

Sweet axe, how did you get a full size humbucker on that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzer04 View Post
    Sweet axe, how did you get a full size humbucker on that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm curious, too, about the full size floating humbucker on the Standard Series guitar - what is it?

User Info Menu

That’s he way I bought it, a custom rolled Pete Bilitoff. The seller sent me the original macassar guard and pickup which I’m going to switch back to at some point. I
    live in a seniors condo so 95% of the time I play unplugged.

Yes, I'm curious, too, about the full size floating humbucker on the Standard Series guitar - what is it?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Mike - hadn't heard of Pete - there are so many boutique pickups out there now - good to know about him.

Italian food and Italian made archtops.......my favorite.

User Info Menu

Biltoff and Vintage Vibe pickups seem to be fairly well known in the jazz guitar community, particularly for his Charlie Christian style pickups, the CCRider and HCC. I have one of each, and they're very good. Not magical, but very good. I haven't found a magical pickup yet.

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard - I haven’t had the pleasure of trying one of your guitars yet but have heard only good things and hope I do get my hands on one some day.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark Campellone Guitars-08a44cc2-68e2-4894-a772-a08a493cd7d0-jpgMark Campellone Guitars-09bbed1f-6d26-478c-bb0a-be67bb57804c-jpgMark Campellone Guitars-55f017a6-5425-4682-b541-b908d8afec64-jpgMark Campellone Guitars-3ce437e1-2592-4f3e-ba85-f8d6f7b5e43e-jpg

Mark Campellone Guitars-3697dd39-f756-4bda-9fab-19f76df3eecf-jpgMark Campellone Guitars-bd625646-ec47-4d4f-81c6-c8c20d4f8239-jpgMark Campellone Guitars-acfb9225-9b1f-4dde-860a-7487ec45688e-jpg

User Info Menu

Vinny the sunburst to die for............it just looks amazing and I have seen photos before the detail and QC Mark has is like nothing else.

User Info Menu

Welcome Mark, your guitars are beautiful to say the very least.

User Info Menu

Just want to send out another 'thanks' to you guys who have recently extended a welcome to me here on the forum - much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Best looking tail-piece in the business. The rest ain't too shabby either. Thanks for joining up!

User Info Menu

Smooch!
    Attached Images Attached Images Mark Campellone Guitars-campy-jpg 

User Info Menu

Everything about that picture is beautiful. Love it Bob.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mauibob View Post
    Smooch!
    Can't get much better than that!

User Info Menu

Ha - that's amore!

User Info Menu

I think it is ridiculous to say that there is ever only one time and place to enjoy the pinnacle of anything.

Great violins (apparently as good or better than those of the Cremonese masters) are made today. And my grandchildren (toddlers) will be able to find a great new archtop if that were to ever occur to them decades from now.

But to be ridiculous, and based on only having tried three Campellone guitars:

If one wanted a best of the best archtop, voiced for actual music making yet with the extreme level of quality and attention to detail that only Collings rivals (but does not exceed), AND priced so that while it is not cheap, it is also a bargain - maybe there is one time and place. Hilariously enough that may be here and now.

I sound like a gushing jackass, I know. But considering the life-long and life-style dedication needed, it is amazing to have guitars like this available. Great stuff Mark.

And thank accidents of history that you are a fellow paisan. Imagine trying to market best of the best archtops if your name was Rory O’Sprucecarver or something like that.

I have a pile of questions regarding you build style and philosophy, but they will all be tediously technical. So maybe not a great fit here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3 View Post
    ..blah, blah...I have a pile of questions regarding you build style and philosophy, but they will all be tediously technical. So maybe not a great fit here.
    I also have some of those questions. I think this is the very place to ask them. An antidote to the massive outbreak of diabetes about to break out around here. And Chris needs to offset his gushing jackassitude with some good old mundane luthierosity.

1st question:
    Some builders use little cleats at the center seams of the top and back plates of their archtop guitars. Gibson doesn't use them at all. You use a lining strip over the center seams of the top and back plates. Very few other archtop builders do that. Is it a purely practical design in terms of preventing future seam movement? Faster in terms of securing the bookmatched pieces? Some other considerations? How did you come up with the size of that strip (length, width, depth). Sort of related a bit to the center strip on the back plate of a typical flattop?
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-28-2019 at 01:18 AM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Funny when the Chinery Blue Collection came and I was at Chinery's place with Bill Hollenbeck I happen to remember Mark Campellone's Blue guitar made for the collection. It was well made and I remember thinking that this guy is building great guitars. Mark did not try to re-invent the wheel he did what many good business people do who have a passion. He made a better product than was normally found and at a fair price. I even remember Bill Hollenbeck saying he "mitered" those corners of binding and detail.........great work. He nailed the Blue Sunburst and believe me that was no small task to get it correct, it was not like you were using the colors you normally did for nitro finishes at that time. I remember Bill Hollenbeck mixing colors and testing because the blend at times could almost go to a greenish finishes if not careful.

User Info Menu

For those members who are curious about details of archtop construction, I'm happy to share information.

Good question (from Hammertone) about center seam reinforcement. When I was doing repairs I saw a number of archtops with center seam separation and decided that reinforcement was a good idea - a center strip is a given on flattop guitars - because the thin plates don't have a lot of gluing surface holding the two halves together, the reinforcement strip is important in adding strength to the joint. Though archtop plates are usually a little thicker, I saw no reason not to employ the same concept - just as a little extra "insurance". I'd seen the center strip on Heritage archtops, too.

Individual cleats will do the job as well. I prefer the continuous strip - it's a little more work because you have to make sure the strip has good contact along its entire length with the curved surface of the plate.

I don't think the size of the strip is too critical as long as it's not too bulky, or at the other end of the scale, too delicate to do the job. I arbitrarily chose a width of 1&1/8" and thickness a little over 1/16".
    Last edited by MCampellone; 05-28-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling errors

User Info Menu

I would be happy to read about technical archtop building questions. Far more interesting to me than lists of the 43 best guitarists of all time, if you only include rock stars.

User Info Menu

MC: Thanks for the response. I've also seen it on Heritage archtops, but inconsistently applied. My Super Eagle is acoustic with an x-braced spruce top and a reinforcement strip running from below the x to the endblock. No strip at all on the maple back. The Super Patrick has a reinforcement strip on both the front and back plates. I assume it had something to do with fishing season.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

Mark Campellone Guitars-05d0ced6-df4f-443b-9ff9-fd4b5656f681-jpegMark Campellone Guitars-20442185-ccd6-42b6-8b60-dd92628f0b7b-jpeg

User Info Menu

On the back, the location that I see the separation starting is usually at the extreme edges of the seam (bottom where the strap pin is and the top where the neck joint is. I wonder why the reinforcement strip doesnt go all the way to the edge?

Mark from my perspective, one thing that sets you apart is your workmanship. The cleanliness of your shop translates to the meticulous nature of your builds. Every thing about a Campellone is neat, tidy and perfect. Nothing rushed, nothing halfway. And you don't have Stevie Wonder scraping your bindings.. Yet you still meet your deadlines. I know most of us give DA and DAQ the top spots in the pantheon of great builders, but we have some really great ones active today and Mark, you are very much among them. I hope you are still able to do this at a high level for many more years to come.

It is so great having you here.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Do violins or mandolins typically have center seams?

User Info Menu

You've heard that expression, "Nobody likes seeing sausage made" implying that the processes behind the things we enjoy are often not very enjoyable to see.

BUT... wow. That rim+back+kerfing all by itself is a thing of beauty. Just wonderful.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Gibson take note of the reinforcement for the input jack. Nice !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Gibson take note of the reinforcement for the input jack. Nice !
    Definitely Vinny. And the Little extra wood up by where the neck meets the headstock. Thoughtful stuff.
    JD