The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 124

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Alan, I think we're comparing apples and oranges here a bit...the BAM is a bass amp head, no idea how it sounds for bass, but it's a good jazz amp head because it emphasises the guitar fundamental frequencies around 400/ 500Hz ( not too far from guitar top B & E strings) and thus does give 'instant warmth', at the cost of the extended treble range which most guitar amps give you. It's tiny and cheap and many people like it.
    interesting , I'd assumed the Bam200 was flat fz response (with the controls at noon)
    learning every day !
    i'm gonna use it today with an Ariston 4080 8ohm 5" speaker
    for a rehearsal with a Sax and girl singer ....
    TC Electronic BAM200 Head for Jazz Guitar-image-jpg

Works best for me with tone controls approx
    as above ....
    The green tape is just so I don't plug into the headphone op by mistake
    (I've done that a couple of times and thought the amp was busted !)
    Attached Images Attached Images TC Electronic BAM200 Head for Jazz Guitar-image-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree with Franz. Fortunately, it's apples to oranges, with no risk of a lemon. Soon, I'll be able to release a demo video, where the BAM200 functions as a power amp. The test mission was to see how the new TOOB Metro 6.5" cabs comply with acoustic guitars, both nylon (Yamaha NTX 700) and steel (Martin GPCPA4). All settings were at noon, and a tad of external reverb was used. The amp did a perfect job, even with the full-range cab extending to 15 kHz. So much so that guitarist Mikko Karhula walked away from the session with the FR cab and rushed to order a BAM. He already has an AER acoustic combo, so evidently he liked what he heard. Interestingly, my swing band's pianist/keyboardist fell for the same combination a week earlier. As well, a rock guitarist using a modeling amp chose the 6.5FR as his stage monitor. A Mooer Baby Bomb gives all the power he needs.

Moral of the story: Henriksens are fantastic products (I've had a 1st gen. Convertible) but pricey for many working musicians and increasingly difficult to obtain in Europe, as they now have to be ordered from the factory. The BAM is an inexpensive, no-frills amp, which serves many other purposes equally well or better than just bass amplification. The same goes for the Trace Elliot Elf, G&K MB200 and probably many other Class D amps with a broad and flat response curve. If only they featured an on-board reverb...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    interesting , I'd assumed the Bam200 was flat fz response (with the controls at noon)
    What I should have said was that one of the reasons it sounds so warm is that the control labelled 'mid' affects the fundamental upper string tone in a very dramatic way; you can fatten up the top E string of almost all guitars with a slight variation of the mid control. It's really useful and has roughly the same effect as the Evans amp 'depth' control. Obviously this is accidental, as the amp is not intended for guitar - but so what, it works. Another reason is some guitar amps roll off the bass response to avoid sounding 'woofy' - this doesn't ( obviously). Rolling off bass has some effect on the top strings, making them sound a bit thinner/ clearer and more 'fendery'. The BAM doesn't do that. The response graph of the bam is a bit all over the place, not exactly flat response @ 5, 5, 5.......I find it works best with bass @ 4, mid @ 5-6, and treble at around 3, but that's with a bigger cab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    Would you be so kind to share the specs (weight!) and the maker of the cabinet?
    Very curious...
    It's a handmade cabinet, built as close as possible to the early henriksen stand alone cabinet. It looks identical except no tweeter, and sounds great.

@pingu , your settings seem pretty loud, almost full on volume! Do you use the guitar volume a lot to quiet things down, or is this the volume one should expect from bam? I would think this to be too loud for a voice violin guitar trio..

User Info Menu

Hi Franz , have you used the Bam with the Barefaced 110 cab ?
    how did that go ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    @pingu , your settings seem pretty loud, almost full on volume! Do you use the guitar volume a lot to quiet things down, or is this the volume one should expect from bam? I would think this to be too loud for a voice violin guitar trio..
    no ! I think I moved the Master Volume to max by accident for the photo
    I'm usually on about 2 o clock on the Master ....

yes i I do run the guitar volume on about half , it gives a good sound
    and also I'm ready if the drummer gets loud .... !

User Info Menu

Hi Franz , have you used the Bam with the Barefaced 110 cab ?
    how did that go ?
    Hi Jem. For a couple of months before gigging stopped, I was using the BAM + the Barefaced with Celestion at a sax/ gtr duo gig, sunday afternoon music at the Olympic. A very easy 14 lb hand-carry. Worked very well, gain @ 25%, master @ 100% for about 15w, tonally as good as any SS amp I have used, and plug and play. Haven't done any loud gigs for some time, not sure the BAM would hold up with loud drums but never tried. It might; the Barefaced is very loud and fills the room. But like many I expect , I'm evaluating whether I really need any loud gig gear any more.

If I hadn't acquired this ridiculously light barefaced cab, i might be thinking along the same lines as you though with that Toob setup.

User Info Menu

Yes the mini Toob is working great with the Bam
    but I'm always interested in various Cabs and Driver options too

Did you go to the stock Celestion G10 vintage or Gold in the Bareface ?
    and are you now settled on a driver for that Cab ....

They won't sell the Cab empty for some reason ....
    which is a drag ....

User Info Menu

[Haven't done any loud gigs for some time, not sure the BAM would hold up with loud drums but never tried.]

My younger son is a semi-pro rock drummer and has a well-equipped studio. He and his shredder guitarist friends have tested the 6.5" and 12" Toob FR versions through a Kemper using the BAM as the power amp. The 12", 150W Jensen D speaker has a sensitivity around 100 dB. It cut through the drums with ease. The smaller cabs were powered by a Quilter Interblock 45 and another smaller amp I can't recall, in stereo in a supportive "wet" role. As stated in my previous post, a modelling-amp rock guitarist considers the 6.5FR and a Mooer Baby Bomb a perfectly adequate combination as a personal stage monitor.

User Info Menu

Yes the mini Toob is working great with the Bam
    but I'm always interested in various Cabs and Driver options too

Did you go to the stock Celestion G10 vintage or Gold in the Bareface ?
    and are you now settled on a driver for that Cab ....

They won't sell the Cab empty for some reason ....
    which is a drag ....
    No I was trying out various PA Celestions for them, for a " jazz" version of the cab; from the ones they sent me I preferred the 150W Celestion TN something. It works fine 'cos although the Celestion is only a 97 dB speaker, that particular cab design adds a few dB, or so they say. I can believe it too. But TBH I am pretty sure that the speaker isn't critical with the BF cab., the only thing to watch is that becuase the cab thows out so much bass by design, a bass- heavy gtr speaker eg the hemp-cone Eminence speakers, would give too much bass. with this cab. I imagine a Gold or Creamback would be really good in the BF cab., only snag is that these are 40/ 45 w speakers and so one would have to watch the level with a BAM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    [Haven't done any loud gigs for some time, not sure the BAM would hold up with loud drums but never tried.]

My younger son is a semi-pro rock drummer and has a well-equipped studio. He and his shredder guitarist friends have tested the 6.5" and 12" Toob FR versions through a Kemper using the BAM as the power amp. The 12", 150W Jensen D speaker has a sensitivity around 100 dB. It cut through the drums with ease. The smaller cabs were powered by a Quilter Interblock 45 and another smaller amp I can't recall, in stereo in a supportive "wet" role. As stated in my previous post, a modelling-amp rock guitarist considers the 6.5FR and a Mooer Baby Bomb a perfectly adequate combination as a personal stage monitor.
    Thanks, good to know. What is the model number - just 'D'? I'll look it up

User Info Menu

It's N12D. In the Tornado family. Celestion has something similar. They have promised me a sample twice, to no avail. Three 10" bass Celestions ordered in November and promised in February should be here next week...

User Info Menu

I used the BAM on my first post-lockdown gig.... Early Ellington and Cab Calloway arranged for 5 piece band so pretty much using it for low level sound reinforcement for my Loar LH600 with the Krivo Djangobucker rather than a sound in its own right if that makes any sense - hitting the strings quite hard etc. At this it was certainly very good.

Be interested to see how it bears up with a sensitive jazz drummer for a trio. My hunch would be it might not have enough in the tank with my current probably not very good 10" speaker for this to be comfortable, but we'll see.

User Info Menu

About BAM holding up -just remembered that I have used it at a "jazz night" gig a couple of times at the same place, with loud-ish trio and maybe 60 people taking very loudly; it got a bit warm but held up very well @ maybe half gain on the dial. Obviously the speaker and cab make a big difference. What I can confirm is that my archtops start to feed back well before the amp runs out of steam. I keep forgetting that 40/ 50w or whatever is quite a lot, even for SS watts..about as loud as a Princeton approaching max.

Hmm, missing those gigs.

User Info Menu

The BAM runs warmer than Elf (also warm) or MB 200 (almost cool) for sure. Somebody said it's due to mosfet transistors, which behave in a tube-like manner. I understand nothing about electronics. Some very small Class D power amps used e.g. in active speakers produce next to no heat, and need no fan or cooling fins.

User Info Menu

Regarding the amp getting warm, my experience is that it quickly gets a little warm when I switch it on, even when not doing any work. It then seems to stay at the same level of warmth no matter how loud I play. I've used it both for guitar (in a very loud big band) and for bass (in another loud band). I have often done a quick check on the amp, worrying that it must be getting hot, but have always been pleasantly surprised to find it just warm. I'm only driving an 8 ohm 100W speaker though, so not demanding it's full power. I think it's because of the way the class-D amp works, which is that the power transistors work like very fast switches, and are either fully switched on or fully switched off. They would only get hot when partially resisting the current, and that does not happen. With 90% of the power getting to the speaker, there is little heat generated. The power supply also works in a similar energy-efficient way.
    Sorry about the technical(ish) description but if you are not familiar with class-D amps I hope that it explains how they are radically different to the more usual 'transistor' amps. When you look into how they work, it's a wonder that any recognisable sound comes out of them!

User Info Menu

Reading through this, I wonder if it would be compatible with my Fender JMUL 2-ohm cab?

User Info Menu

You can try, of course, but few amps (outside car HiFi) tolerate 2 ohm loads. OTOH, the amp's peak power may surge, exceeding 200W, so it's a question of which one blows up first, the amp or the speaker. I'm not into electronics, but isn't it possible to add a 2-6 ohm resistor to the cab, to make it safe for any amp?
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 09-28-2020 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Ignore my earlier post. The BAM flipping rocks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ignore my earlier post. The BAM flipping rocks.
    Christian, I'm not sure what your expression means. But if the BAM has enough oomph for a 6.5", 92dB speaker in a big band setting, it sure beats the dust off a 10"-12", 99dB speaker.

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread to see how you guys are feeling about the BAM200 these days?

I was looking at one and in addition to being a good, clean straight-in amp they seem like they can be used as a small power amp when dialed in flat for a preamp pedal, modeler, etc. I have a Tech 21 Blonde I can use. I saw this useful post on TheGearPage forums in which it's graphed out how to dial it in flat:

TC Electronic BAM200 Head for Jazz Guitar-bam200_flat-png
    Last edited by monkmiles; 03-07-2021 at 02:31 AM.

User Info Menu

BAMs doing fine and head(sic!) count growing in my sphere. Several new users here, incl. Fred Archtop. Its just so good, small and affordable, my go-to amp if only gigs returned. That flat curve tells that with all eq's at 12.00 o'clock, it's a bit scooped from the middle in a Fenderish way. Low risk of nasal mid-range honk. And that's why it's ok for acoustic guitars, too. Among my TOOB clients, the BAM serves in a variety of roles, including jazz, rock & acoustic guitar, bass and keyboards. Thanks for reviving the thread!

Cheers,

Markku

User Info Menu

Ditto like Markku. I'm even happier now that I've put a Fender Tre-Verb in front of it. Best reverb pedal I've owned - the plate mode is awesome

User Info Menu

Mine arrived today. It’s ridiculously small. No chance to fire it up yet.

User Info Menu

deleted
    Last edited by jjang1993; 11-04-2023 at 08:01 PM.