The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I've narrowed this down, and I'm positive it's probably the spring in the B string's part of the tune-o-matic bridge. But I can't figure out what or how to stop this. Everything I've searched on this only seems to talk about their being a retaining spring (mine doesn't have one) which causes the rattle. But I think it's the spring inside the cavity which holds the adjustable bridge. Or maybe it's the bridge saddle itself? Either way, I'm not sure what I can do to stop the rattle.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1. Wood bridge and be done with it.

2. Does it come through the amp? No? Then that's the price of a tune o matic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    1. Wood bridge and be done with it.

2. Does it come through the amp? No? Then that's the price of a tune o matic.
    #1 I might consider sometime, but I refuse to allow that ringing is something to just live with.

User Info Menu

Slide a little something under the bridge to be safe and then then put either a drop of clear fingernail polish or with a skinny birthday candle, let a drop of wax fall right on the wire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Slide a little something under the bridge to be safe and then then put either a drop of clear fingernail polish or with a skinny birthday candle, let a drop of wax fall right on the wire.
    I have to ask...any danger of either of these preventing being able to set intonation in the future?

User Info Menu

I yanked the TOM off my guitar and replaced it with an ebony one as every time I fixed one rattle, another would present itself.
    The candlewax/nail polish tricks help but in my experience they will find another way to rattle sooner or later

User Info Menu

I've tried a piece of hard foam stuffed in behind the saddle, and I mean, stuffed. So it puts pressure on the saddle.

This didn't work, but it was recommended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I have to ask...any danger of either of these preventing being able to set intonation in the future?
    The wax would be a safe bet.

User Info Menu

Rattles and buzzing are very often difficult to localize. I have spent hours tracking them down on a single instrument. I always succeed in find and fixing the cause.

Two days ago it sounded like the bridge was buzzing, a TOM. It turned out to be some of the wiring in the body though. I've had pickup bezels, pots, and tailpieces do this over the years.

Wax on the bridge is very safe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    No, but go ahead and check the intonation before you do it. When you make adjustments in the future you’ll have to put another drop.

User Info Menu

This is not an uncommon problem. I just fixed an annoying buzz on a D'Angelico yesterday; no spring on this design. I used a candle and heated the screw with the touch of a soldering iron tip. The hot wax flowed right into the crevasse and the flow was very localized and went right into the loose screw gap. The viscosity of the hot wax also meant I used less and it's easy to break for future adjustments.
    End of that annoying problem for now.
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Does it come through the amp? No? Then that's the price of a tune o matic.
    This is completely and absolutely untrue.

Nice try, though... not!

User Info Menu

Just a quick thanks. I dripped a little candle wax into the offending slot, and all is good for now. So thanks for the info. Seems to work....for now anyways. I've got an ebony bridge on my want list...but a bone nut is first up.