The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Have You ever seen two pickup version of ES-165?

These have been lately in Ebay. Mostly on Japanese sellers.

Gibson Herb Ellis ES-165 Plus (USED) / Vintage Sunburst | eBay
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Herb Ellis ES-165 Plus?-es165plus-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, Herbie, the twin pup ES-165 Plus is a legitimate Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Yes, Herbie, the twin pup ES-165 Plus is a legitimate Gibson.
    No doubt. I just thought what the idea is. I mean, it looks very much like an ES-175 with gold hardware.

User Info Menu

So a 175 with gold hardware, under 3k? Sweeeeeet.

User Info Menu

My 94 Herb thankfully has one pickup and two knobs. I'm not sure what any of them do.

User Info Menu

Had a one pickup, very nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Does anybody know when and how long was the plus model made?

User Info Menu

Gibson Herb Ellis ES-165 Plus

I guess that they were made for two years between 92 and 93, in tandem with the ES-775.

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar.

Herb Ellis was a giant influence on me, too. Makes it really easy for me to like these guitars.

User Info Menu

I l like the inlaid headstock. that is my only complaint, and a trivial one at that, about the 90s ES165. I love Gibson inlaid headstocks. Otherwise the ES165HE that I own is a glory to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Nice looking guitar.

Herb Ellis was a giant influence on me, too. Makes it really easy for me to like these guitars.
    I'd love to get a 165 to match my Aria Herb Ellis. Also a huge influence on me. I mean, anyone who could keep up with Oscar Peterson...

User Info Menu

Here's a great Herb Ellis Plus:
    Gibson Herb Ellis ES-165 Plus?-joepassherbellis86a1_copy-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I have not heard a bad playing from Ellis, but I have to learn more about him. I took my forum name from him because I had a ES-165 w/ floater when I joined. Or maybe I took it from the guitar...

Then I sold it and bought an ES-175 VOS with only one pickup. Maybe even more like the actual guitar of Ellis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I have not heard a bad playing from Ellis, but I have to learn more about him. I took my forum name from him because I had a ES-165 w/ floater when I joined. Or maybe I took it from the guitar...

Then I sold it and bought an ES-175 VOS with only one pickup. Maybe even more like the actual guitar of Ellis.
    This is my favorite album of Ellis' playing. Such a phenomenal record all around. Here's a link to a YouTube list of the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MNjDHdv2wHJJQJ