The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

I really miss the seg900ml (sonomatic) gibson.
    Best strings ever made for archtops, out of production.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On my WESMO, the neck is straight, the action is low and I use TI Flats (I like the tone of flats). I used to use 13's but age has forced me to switch to 12's.

User Info Menu

I prefer the Flats' sound also on my L5 CES, presently. I used to have round wounds, to play some "blues", but they were too lively for a "jazz" sound. Neck straight.

User Info Menu

I’m ordering 3 sets of newtone archtop strings 12/53. Let’s see what happen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Thomastik-Infeld JS113 Jazz Swing Flat 0.013-0.053 gauge strings.

These have great feel, reasonable tention, beautiful sound, and they don't feel wimpy. Nothing fouls up an L5 quicker than a skinny set of .010-gauge strings.
    In the past, gibson sonomatic works best or..
    d’angelico electrozinc 12/52 (not cheap).
    amazing strings, lots of volume, but die pretty quickly, and became spotted.

User Info Menu

If you think JS113 strings sound dull, have you tried TI BeBop strings? They don't sound dull at all.

I use them on my acoustic, carved archtop with a floating pickup. These strings are just terrific.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billy21
    I’m ordering 3 sets of newtone archtop strings 12/53. Let’s see what happen
    New tones are nice still nickel. Double wrap is double tension and in spite of what new tone says the finger noise is typical of a wound string. Worth a try though. Good luck. Post impressions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    If you think JS113 strings sound dull, have you tried TI BeBop strings? They don't sound dull at all.

I use them on my acoustic, carved archtop with a floating pickup. These strings are just terrific.
    Hi greentone how are you?
    Yes, I had Bb113 on my gibsons.
    Nice but I need more tension, because I have just a little neck relief.
    Newtone seem to be the same string, like thomastik at half of the price.

User Info Menu

I used TI Bebops, a .012 set for a long time on my CES. Before that I used D’Addario half rounds, a .013 set. I liked both of them very much for different reasons. When I got the guitar I put .013 TI Swings on. They sounded good but as they got older I didn’t think the sound was exactly what I wanted, which was a surprise since on other guitars old Swings always sounded good. A little too dead and not very dynamic.

Now I’m using a set I cobbled together of Chromes. .014 and .018 on E and B and the rest is from a .013 set. I find this suits the guitar very well and on top of that lets me get some really low action with no buzz. The Chromes have aged better than the Swings since they are brighter, the string balance is better than nickel and I am very happy with the sound.

So between those three that I liked, I obviously prefer the Chromes since that’s what I’m currently using but I’d say any of them would sound good to me. Ironically I have never liked Chromes on other guitars and have liked Swings on other guitars but that seems reversed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

So you thing higher string tension might help?
    how about the attack and sustain?

User Info Menu

TI Benson 13s on my WesMo. Perfect.

User Info Menu

I use newtone archtop strings.
    they are great! 13-53

User Info Menu

I like TI Swing 113 and a .014 on top instead the provided .013! Straight neck, action 1mm to 1.2mm @fret 12. But keep in mind, the sound is depending as much on the choice of the pick as it is on the strings.